We have Term Limits, Why Not Age Limits?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
We have Term Limits, Why Not Age Limits?

  1. #1
    Member jetsonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    55

    Default We have Term Limits, Why Not Age Limits?

    We have minimum age limits for running for office. Why not maximum age limits? Cut off should be at 65 years old for running for any office and mandatory retirement at 70, no exceptions.


    I did a search and could not find maximum age limits, maybe I'm wrong. If so enlighten me.


    In my opinion this will solve some of the stupidity going on in our government. I bring this up due to Arpaio at 85 wants to run for McCain's seat. Give me a fucking break!


    We don't need dinosaurs in government. What say you?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member jetsonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    55

    Default

    It's a fact that our bodies deteriorate over time including the brain. Why are the 70-80 year old generation making decisions for the 20-30 that are going to shape our country?

    Keep it within 1 generation and we will all be better off!

  4. #3
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    We've had too many politicians in DC way too long. Some have to actually die to give up their seats!!!
    Think about how many have had more than 40 years in DC! That's way too long and creates too many long term "friendships" among lobbyists.

  5. #4
    Senior Member bville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, KY
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    We do not need any more laws term limit or age limit.
    The whole problem rest with the citizens themselves.People are to lazy and not doing their jobs, to be engaged in the Government process as citizens of the USA.
    In a republic the people deserve the Government they have.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bville View Post
    We do not need any more laws term limit or age limit.
    The whole problem rest with the citizens themselves.People are to lazy and not doing their jobs, to be engaged in the Government process as citizens of the USA.
    In a republic the people deserve the Government they have.
    I have to agree with you on this. To disregard experience and knowledge is foolish.

    At what age is experience and knowledge not important or does it go away? There is no correct answer.
    Take a look at Wolfie, he's less than 70, I guess, and he seldom if ever makes sense or right.
    There are numerous heads of profitable companies over 70 and doing well, and many more in their 30's and 40's that run companies into the ground.

  7. #6
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    I have to agree with you on this. To disregard experience and knowledge is foolish.

    At what age is experience and knowledge not important or does it go away? There is no correct answer.
    Take a look at Wolfie, he's less than 70, I guess, and he seldom if ever makes sense or right.
    There are numerous heads of profitable companies over 70 and doing well, and many more in their 30's and 40's that run companies into the ground.
    And then there's Jughead who can't run his own life.

  8. #7
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bville View Post
    We do not need any more laws term limit or age limit.
    The whole problem rest with the citizens themselves.People are to lazy and not doing their jobs, to be engaged in the Government process as citizens of the USA.
    In a republic the people deserve the Government they have.
    I agree to a point. I don't believe in age limits at all. Competency doesn't know an age. Look at Juhead. he's younger, yet is as incompetent as they come!
    I fully agree that most citizens are the biggest problem in our republic. None of them look at how their respective representative is voting. They just checkmark the box next to their party affiliation. They're only involved in the presidential election, but not enough to sift through the bullshit.
    But on the other hand, DC has it's way of corrupting career politicians. When in office, it's more about who's greasing who to get on the right committee. All the backroom deals going on. It's not about voting for what's best for your constituencies than it is voting to ensure your re-election. Most are there not because they love the job, but to ensure their investments are taken care of! No where else can one invest money in a sector that they can make laws to facilitate a better outcome. Any other career and it's called insider trading. But again, like you said, if the constituency paid more attention to the details of their representatives voting record, we wouldn't have a need for term limits.

    I have a friend that knows Jason Chaffetz very well (the Salt lake Valley is relatively small). I hear that the real reason he left office is because he felt that he was falling into the cesspool. Because of his experience and how DC operates, he's become a big believer in term limits.
    Last edited by wolfie; 01-12-2018 at 06:01 AM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member bville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, KY
    Posts
    1,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I agree to a point. I don't believe in age limits at all. Competency doesn't know an age. Look at Juhead. he's younger, yet is as incompetent as they come!
    I fully agree that most citizens are the biggest problem in our republic. None of them look at how their respective representative is voting. They just checkmark the box next to their party affiliation. They're only involved in the presidential election, but not enough to sift through the bullshit.
    But on the other hand, DC has it's way of corrupting career politicians. When in office, it's more about who's greasing who to get on the right committee. All the backroom deals going on. It's not about voting for what's best for your constituencies than it is voting to ensure your re-election. Most are there not because they love the job, but to ensure their investments are taken care of! No where else can one invest money in a sector that they can make laws to facilitate a better outcome. Any other career and it's called insider trading. But again, like you said, if the constituency paid more attention to the details of their representatives voting record, we wouldn't have a need for term limits.

    I have a friend that knows Jason Chaffetz very well (the Salt lake Valley is relatively small). I hear that the real reason he left office is because he felt that he was falling into the cesspool. Because of his experience and how DC operates, he's become a big believer in term limits.
    What you say about DC and the way it operates I agree with.I also know that what I stated about citizens taking responsibility for the operation of their government is not going to happen sad to say.I don,t recognize a good solution at this time.I do not blame a person like Jason Chaffetz for quitting DC.Hopefully he will run for state office.I would imagine any good person would have to soak a month in a hot tub just to get the smell of DC off him.

  10. #9
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bville View Post
    What you say about DC and the way it operates I agree with.I also know that what I stated about citizens taking responsibility for the operation of their government is not going to happen sad to say.I don,t recognize a good solution at this time.I do not blame a person like Jason Chaffetz for quitting DC.Hopefully he will run for state office.I would imagine any good person would have to soak a month in a hot tub just to get the smell of DC off him.
    I would like to think that people are starting to wake up. The last election cycle here in Utah pushed out some reps that used to be automatic re-elections. Orrin Hatch isn't seeking re-election, but I think that's because he knows he might get bumped out. McCain is having a hard time. A lot of others throughout the country on both sides of the isle are worrying more so than they have in the past.
    But I'm not going to hold my breath over it!

  11. #10
    83 Crusader - 468 BBC SNiC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    ... Why are the 70-80 year old generation making decisions for the 20-30 that are going to shape our country?

    Keep it within 1 generation and we will all be better off!
    Hopefully, to help prevent them from doing something totally stupid and irresponsible like throwing ALL those with extensive life experiences out the door.....
    Granted, many have "over served" their positions and have nothing more to offer, and that is up to their constituents to decide.....the problem being, their "campaign war chests" carry over form election to election and grow via favors given during their term. Incumbents should be forced to raise campaign funds with a $0 starting balance....otherwise, the challengers find themselves with "lesser financed campaign" and are unable to match the incumbents campaign efforts.

    but IMO, a blanket rule, "All must go at 70" is beyond foolish.



  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I agree to a point. I don't believe in age limits at all. Competency doesn't know an age. Look at Juhead. he's younger, yet is as incompetent as they come!
    I fully agree that most citizens are the biggest problem in our republic. None of them look at how their respective representative is voting. They just checkmark the box next to their party affiliation. They're only involved in the presidential election, but not enough to sift through the bullshit.
    But on the other hand, DC has it's way of corrupting career politicians. When in office, it's more about who's greasing who to get on the right committee. All the backroom deals going on. It's not about voting for what's best for your constituencies than it is voting to ensure your re-election. Most are there not because they love the job, but to ensure their investments are taken care of! No where else can one invest money in a sector that they can make laws to facilitate a better outcome. Any other career and it's called insider trading. But again, like you said, if the constituency paid more attention to the details of their representatives voting record, we wouldn't have a need for term limits.

    I have a friend that knows Jason Chaffetz very well (the Salt lake Valley is relatively small). I hear that the real reason he left office is because he felt that he was falling into the cesspool. Because of his experience and how DC operates, he's become a big believer in term limits.
    Hey goofball, you've essentially just posted the opposite of what you posted earlier.

    wolfie
    We've had too many politicians in DC way too long. Some have to actually die to give up their seats!!!
    Think about how many have had more than 40 years in DC!

  13. #12
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    Hey goofball, you've essentially just posted the opposite of what you posted earlier.

    wolfie
    We've had too many politicians in DC way too long. Some have to actually die to give up their seats!!!
    Think about how many have had more than 40 years in DC!
    Still having comprehension issues I see. Didn't they have you in a special ed class when you were younger to teach you better reading skills?
    I said I believe in term limits. I don't believe in age limits. If one is competent (definitely leaves you out) and later on in years, I'm fine with them being in office. I'm not alright with them being in office for 40 years! They are two different issues.
    Maybe you should go back to your special ed teacher and kick them in the butt for failing you!

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Still having comprehension issues I see. Didn't they have you in a special ed class when you were younger to teach you better reading skills?
    I said I believe in term limits. I don't believe in age limits. If one is competent (definitely leaves you out) and later on in years, I'm fine with them being in office. I'm not alright with them being in office for 40 years! They are two different issues.
    Maybe you should go back to your special ed teacher and kick them in the butt for failing you!






    We've had too many politicians in DC way too long. Some have to actually die to give up their seats!!!
    Think about how many have had more than 40 years in DC! That's way too long and creates too many long term "friendships" among lobbyists.




    You didn't say anything about term limits in your first post, and trying to merge your first post with the next doesn't make sense.

  15. #14
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post





    We've had too many politicians in DC way too long. Some have to actually die to give up their seats!!!
    Think about how many have had more than 40 years in DC! That's way too long and creates too many long term "friendships" among lobbyists.




    You didn't say anything about term limits in your first post, and trying to merge your first post with the next doesn't make sense.
    Maybe not to one that has problems with comprehension or common sense..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95