Religion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 251

Thread:
Religion

  1. #1
    "On the road again..." Old Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    9,356

    Default Religion

    Someone help me out here. I'm 58 years old and traveled the states and been to Europe, Canada, and Mexico. Lived in 4 states in both rural and urban areas. Though I'm not a regular church goer I went every Sunday up until leaving home for college. Taught some Sunday school and most everyone I know is the same or attends church regularly.

    I just get a bad taste on many organized congregations but still have my spiritual beliefs as does my wife of 35 years.

    My question is, I never met an openly admitted athiest until my freshman year of college. A professor was asking our class about religious beliefs and a scrawny pale greasy haired "hippy" looking guy announced he was an athiest. I was admittedly quite shocked and still remember the incident as I'd never heard anyone say such a thing.

    I've read about athiests. Followed along in the Madelaine Murray Ohare deal out of curiosity but still never really encountered anyone again as open about it as that first guy.

    Now in the last 6-7 years I hear it more and more. A lot of the people I've actually heard it from are on these forums and back to HotBoat days. The reason I bring it up is Carvomit is so proud of telling it in about every other post that someone mentions prayer or God.

    GW Bush was ostracized by the left openly by the Libs for his faith.

    Is it just me or is atheism more prevalent in the AZ, CA areas? I know it's more prevalent among Libs and the Left.

    Just curious......
    "Bottle by bottle, I'm clearing off that shelf...."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member scooooter7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    It's my belief that most atheists are just ignorant.

    I also attended church as a child but did not get it then. As I got older things kept happening to me that finally brought me back into contact with God. I now attend an evangelistic church that is very enthusiastic toward bringing people back to Him. One weekend we had a call to be baptized and over 500 people took the plunge. Praise God! Two weeks ago they tried it again and about 60 more were baptized.

    I'm sorry you have a bad taste towards organized religion, but truly understand.

    I think part of the problem with so many claiming they are atheists is because of taking prayer out of everything. And the public school system seems to promote that belief.

    I don't think that CA is any more prevalent to atheism than anywhere else. But the attitude towards other people here sure is different than most other places, possibly because of the melting pot population. People just don't talk to their neighbors, let alone total strangers.

    Remember, we all will meet our Maker. I hope we are all ready for that day because it will come like a thief in the night when you least expect it.

  4. #3
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooooter7 View Post
    It's my belief that most atheists are just ignorant. I also attended church as a child but did not get it then. As I got older things kept happening to me that finally brought me back into contact with God. I now attend an evangelistic church that is very enthusiastic toward bringing people back to Him. One weekend we had a call to be baptized and over 500 people took the plunge. Praise God! Two weeks ago they tried it again and about 60 more were baptized.

    I'm sorry you have a bad taste towards organized religion, but truly understand.

    I think part of the problem with so many claiming they are atheists is because of taking prayer out of everything. And the public school system seems to promote that belief.

    I don't think that CA is any more prevalent to atheism than anywhere else. But the attitude towards other people here sure is different than most other places, possibly because of the melting pot population. People just don't talk to their neighbors, let alone total strangers.

    Remember, we all will meet our Maker. I hope we are all ready for that day because it will come like a thief in the night when you least expect it.
    ever think maybe they think that same thing about people who believe in religion? when you know more than just what the bible lays before you, some of the stuff you hear is just funny. i still know people that'll argue adam was dickin eve riding on a t-rex's back any faith made to make women subservant or to chastise another race, i immediately think negative of. i personally believe in a creation, this is had to start somewhere, but i do believe we evolved from apes. you can say that's sceince talking, but those same people making those bs statements are the 1's lining up for new medical research projects same dumbass will denounce in his church stem cells, but if his kid got cancer would beg for it i don't get that, and the hiprocracy of it all turned me offa religion longgggg ago. i fully believe in seperation of church and state, religion has no place in government imo.fanactics will always cry they killed for god, but when you really look into yourself , you'll realize the truth, the mutha****a wanted to pull the trigger and did, cops it to religion so its accepted and his conscience(sp?) is ok with it.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Oh boy....

    [QUOTE=scooooter7;748601]It's my belief that most atheists are just ignorant. QUOTE]

    Hundreds of THOUSANDS of the most intelligent minds known to man were scientists. Scientists that view any religion as just another fairy tale. Religion has for the ages been used to control the masses. Masses too ignorant to realize it is a a farce, a fear, a crutch. To say most atheists are ignorant is quite likely the most ignorant statement I have ever read/heard. Creationism is a joke to people with any true mind at all. Scientific proof has disputed just about every portion of religion, any religion. We constantly hear about how stupid Muslims are believing they will receive 72 virgins, etc etc...How can your belief be any different than theirs? They're stupid, and somehow your fantasy about an after life is different? I guess true ignorance is true bliss, keep praying to your God..........

    Non believer, Science minded, Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  6. #5
    Senior Member Gravyboat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Commieland
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    OT,
    I bet you hesitated for a second or two before hitting the button on this one.

    I would submit that with the issue of prayer in school and the more recently energized subject of teaching ID (intelligent design), as a counter to evolution and Darwinism which has been taught in the public schools for years, atheism has really made comeback. I think kittycatman pointed out not all evolutionists are atheist but most evolutionists are usually some form of atheist. This I believe to be true. There's also agnostics and deists but that's a whole other deal. Actually the "unsure" agnostic is most likely to convert to some other belief before the atheist or deist.

    It's my opinion that ANY belief that's antithetical to and denies the proposition of God or deity being the creator of the entire universe, in charge of all the affairs contained therein isn't hard to find in CA, NY, WA, China! et al. I would also venture to say it really, really pisses atheists and others off that an omnipotent being is the center of and anchor of so many peoples lives. Not religion specifically, but the mere existence of an almighty creator.
    Freedom Without Authority is Anarchy.
    Authority Without Freedom is Tyranny

    “The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money”
    –Margaret Thatcher

  7. #6
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    OT,
    I bet you hesitated for a second or two before hitting the button on this one.

    I would submit that with the issue of prayer in school and the more recently energized subject of teaching ID (intelligent design), as a counter to evolution and Darwinism which has been taught in the public schools for years, atheism has really made comeback. I think kittycatman pointed out not all evolutionists are atheist but most evolutionists are usually some form of atheist. This I believe to be true. There's also agnostics and deists but that's a whole other deal. Actually the "unsure" agnostic is most likely to convert to some other belief before the atheist or deist.

    It's my opinion that ANY belief that's antithetical to and denies the proposition of God or deity being the creator of the entire universe, in charge of all the affairs contained therein isn't hard to find in CA, NY, WA, China! et al. I would also venture to say it really, really pisses atheists and others off that an omnipotent being is the center of and anchor of so many peoples lives. Not religion specifically, but the mere existence of an almighty creator.
    lol, i thought the same thing before i hit the key. dad told me to never talk politics or religion and you'll have alot of friends


    you're wrong about that bottom comment though. for all i know, we're floating on a cell in a giants bloodstream and we call this cell earth i believe it all started somewhere, somehow, everything has a beginning, i'm just not so full of myself to think a man knows who/what it was that done it. religion was developed as a population control, then a way to get power. if there is a grand creator, and if someday i go before him(highly doubt this) i can tell him/her/it that i raised my children to be good women/men, take responsibilty for your actions and so on without lying to them to scare them into being that way. its lazy imo, telling kids about a hell is like telling them the muthaphuckin boogie man is gonna get em if they don't go to sleep just cause mom or dad is too phuckin lazy to read em a book.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Pissed? nah.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    OT,
    I I would also venture to say it really, really pisses atheists and others off that an omnipotent being is the center of and anchor of so many peoples lives. Not religion specifically, but the mere existence of an almighty creator.
    And you would be totally wrong. Your belief doesn't piss me off at all. I kinda laugh at you, but never will it piss me off because there are so many sheeple being fleeced of their minds............Ray


    PS: Ever see the Hubble pics of the action in the universe millions of light years away? Any idea of how far a light year is? Unless your god can travel at the speed of light, for a million or so years, he didn't do it.........
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  9. #8
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    lol, i thought the same thing before i hit the key. dad told me to never talk politics or religion and you'll have alot of friends


    you're wrong about that bottom comment though. for all i know, we're floating on a cell in a giants bloodstream and we call this cell earth i believe it all started somewhere, somehow, everything has a beginning, i'm just not so full of myself to think a man knows who/what it was that done it. religion was developed as a population control, then a way to get power. if there is a grand creator, and if someday i go before him(highly doubt this) i can tell him/her/it that i raised my children to be good women/men, take responsibilty for your actions and so on without lying to them to scare them into being that way. its lazy imo, telling kids about a hell is like telling them the muthaphuckin boogie man is gonna get em if they don't go to sleep just cause mom or dad is too phuckin lazy to read em a book.
    My brother, you are a lost soul.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  10. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    And you would be totally wrong. Your belief doesn't piss me off at all. I kinda laugh at you, but never will it piss me off because there are so many sheeple being fleeced of their minds............Ray


    PS: Ever see the Hubble pics of the action in the universe millions of light years away? Any idea of how far a light year is? Unless your god can travel at the speed of light, for a million or so years, he didn't do it.........
    Well, if you think of God in the limitations and confines of time, space and matter as you know it, then you're right, but if you even imagine the concepet of a "creator" that is able to create what we see and know, my guess is traveling at the speed of light is no big thing. He created speed, and he created light.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 07-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Gravyboat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Commieland
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    MP an IMP,
    Maybe I shoulda been more clear. A LOT of
    atheists are pissed. That's a fact. I've had many a angry didcussion with some. There are atheists that work day and night to to disprove creationism. So you guys are the exception. Big deal. Is that some kind of "aha, I gotcha!" thing??

    MP, what makes you think light travels at the same speed in this part of the universe as it does on the other end? How do we know the natural laws we know here on earth are the same elsewhere? You'd be hard pressed to prove it. Not necessarily challenging you, just based on your assumption that an omnipotent creator doesn't have the ability to travel at the speed of light...or thought for that matter. How about the 2nd law of thermodynamics? Entropy. How do we know for sure all parts of the universe aren't in fact winding down and decreasing rather than expanding as many scientists claim. Point being, science is fallible and subject to constant revision. But more important, we tend to assume all scientific truth here is constant across the universe.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 07-15-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Freedom Without Authority is Anarchy.
    Authority Without Freedom is Tyranny

    “The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money”
    –Margaret Thatcher

  12. #11
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Anybody ever wonder, in such simple terms, why it is that this country which was founded, formed, and organized by men of very strong faith and an unmovable belief in Allmighty God, rose to such greatness... greater than any other civilization on Earth in the history of time, and did it so incredibly fast? Add to that, ever wonder how it is that the further we get from those Judeo Christian values and fundamentals this country was founded on, the worse off this country is? Isn't this so completely obvious to anyone? What's the most simple common denominator here?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  13. #12
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Texan View Post
    Someone help me out here. I'm 58 years old and traveled the states and been to Europe, Canada, and Mexico. Lived in 4 states in both rural and urban areas. Though I'm not a regular church goer I went every Sunday up until leaving home for college. Taught some Sunday school and most everyone I know is the same or attends church regularly.

    I just get a bad taste on many organized congregations but still have my spiritual beliefs as does my wife of 35 years.

    My question is, I never met an openly admitted athiest until my freshman year of college. A professor was asking our class about religious beliefs and a scrawny pale greasy haired "hippy" looking guy announced he was an athiest. I was admittedly quite shocked and still remember the incident as I'd never heard anyone say such a thing.

    I've read about athiests. Followed along in the Madelaine Murray Ohare deal out of curiosity but still never really encountered anyone again as open about it as that first guy.

    Now in the last 6-7 years I hear it more and more. A lot of the people I've actually heard it from are on these forums and back to HotBoat days. The reason I bring it up is Carvomit is so proud of telling it in about every other post that someone mentions prayer or God.

    GW Bush was ostracized by the left openly by the Libs for his faith.

    Is it just me or is atheism more prevalent in the AZ, CA areas? I know it's more prevalent among Libs and the Left.

    Just curious......
    OT...just remember that Religion is a man made term.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  14. #13
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    MP an IMP,
    Maybe I shoulda been more clear. A LOT of
    atheists are pissed. That's a fact. I've had many a angry didcussion with some. There are atheists that work day and night to to disprove creationism. So you guys are the exception. Big deal. Is that some kind of "aha, I gotcha!" thing??

    MP, what makes you think light travels at the same speed in this part of the universe as it does on the other end? How do we know the natural laws we know here on earth are the same elsewhere? You'd be hard pressed to prove it. Not necessarily challenging you, just based on your assumptoion that. How about the 2nd law of thermodynamics? Entropy. How do we know for sure all parts of the universe aren't in fact winding down and decresing rather than increasing as many scientists claim. point being, science is fallible and subject to constant revision. But importany, we tend to assume all scientific method here is constant across the universe.
    Interstingly enough, not one has ever disproved a single word regarding creationism, yet "creationists" have poked so many holes in evolution it's not even funny.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Gravyboat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Commieland
    Posts
    3,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Isn't this so completely obvious to anyone? What's the most simple common denominator here?
    It's not so obvious nor simple to many people, even though it really is. That's why I stick to things that are common to everyone in topics like this. I.e. the earth, universe, the grand design that exist everywhere you turn, macro and micro.
    Freedom Without Authority is Anarchy.
    Authority Without Freedom is Tyranny

    “The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money”
    –Margaret Thatcher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95