So last week I receive an Email about reforming Congress. I took a look at it and thought it needed a little work. I think my revisions are for the better ....see what you think, maybe some constructive critsism even ?
If you like the list copy it and pass it one to 25 of your best friends. Maybe we can do something about this "broken" Government of ours: My revised list:
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
With that in mind:
Congressional Reform Act of 2011 ( Proposed Constitutional Amendment)
1. Impose Term Limits, (12 years only), one of the possible options below..
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
2. No Tenure / No Pension. ( for future Senators/Congressman)
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
3. All future Congress' participates in Social Security.
3.B Current and past Congress pensions are “means tested” I/E Mutli-millionares are ineligible ( McCain, Reid, Feinstien, Boxer, Kerry, Gore, Kohl, Issa etc. )
4. Congress to purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
6. Congress shall participates in the same health care system as the American people. ( As any large business of 536 employees does)
7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen and family members are void effective 12-31-2013
9. Congress shall pass a balanced budget ever year On or before Oct 31.
For everyday the budget is not passed Congress shall forfeit a pro-rata share of their pay.
10. Twice a year ( at six month intervals) Congress shall hold a "Corrections week" on the floor of the House to amend and correct any law that the Courts or the Federal Regulators have misconstrued, wrongly interpreted or have gone beyond the original intent of Congress.
11. No bill shall include more than 5 items or be longer than 25 pages or 6,000 words. Every bill shall be posted on the Internet at least 72 hrs before it is read in it's etirity on the floor of the house before votes are taken.
( If the combined original Constitution and Declaration of Independence total only 6,001 words then no one law(Bill) need be longer than them)
12. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution shall be read in their entirety at the start of each session of Congress. Each and every member of Congress shall be present at the reading.
( The Declaration of Independence shall be read as to remind the elected official
why our Forefathers rebelled against the King of England and his repressive ways)
13. Congress shall fund an appropriate amount of money to protect and defend the Borders of the United States of America. If any State deems the Federal effort inadequate to protect the State the State may at it's own expense complete the task of protecting it's borders.
14. There shall be no unfunded mandates imposed by the Federal Government upon any State.
15. The Congress of the United States shall allow States to utilize the Natural Resources of the States to the benefit of the Citizen of that state and to the benefit of the Citizens of the United States of America. The Federal Government shall no-longer hinder states in this regard.
These initial 15 reforms shall be voted in first. More will come but these 15 will set us on the right track. Reforms such as immigration and health-care etc will follow.
" Liberalism is a Mental Disorder "