Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Aquacraft
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to post this but, i have a set of 049 heads (358049) i can not find this number but i can find 353049, maybe the 8 is actually a 3 but it looks like an 8 on both, anyway i wanted to know the head cc, i look it up and i find everything from 113cc/ 119cc to 122cc ? Does anybody know what it is? Or do they very that much? I was going to order a rebuild kit from summit with forged pistons, im trying to figure out compression ratio, they have kits from 7.83.1 to 10.37.1 i am going to be using this as a ski boat so i dont want or need any high compression, but at the same time i dont want a dog of a motor either, they have a kit that is 9.78.1 compr., i thought this would be ok but this kit is based on a head that is 116.9 cc, i know that the 049 is open chamber , and big so the comp would be slightly lower but when looking at head cc it varies so much i guess i would have to have them checked, they are stock, no porting here at all... Any info or suggestions would be apprecitated thanks.. (they are bare heads right now no valves)

·
Aquacraft
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My last set were 1983 versions and were 122-123 before valve work.
Thanks for the info, im thinking of going with a rebuild kit that states the compression using a 116cc head is 8.98.1, i was thinking if the heads are 113cc I should be at around 9.4 compr, but if head cc is bigger, I will change this, I just dont want any detonation, or knocking, I will be running pump gas and at the same time I dont want a really low comp. motor, just something that has good power without having to use high octane. I keep going back and forth between getting a roller cam or flat tappet, I have read articles on here and on the web, the thing is that I will be using this as a ski boat, and only once a year, maybe twice, so i dont know if I want to put that much cash in a roller set up if it is only going to be used once or twice a year ,,, thanks for the info.., my heads are older, 70's..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts