Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference in open and closed chamber heads? someone told me, he had a set of 049 open and a set of 049 closed chambers heads, yet on mortec all i see is open. are there 2 different types?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what is the difference in open and closed chamber heads?
The physical difference is the area around the valves. There is a set of closed chamber heads in the foresale section right now that shows the head being flat pretty much all around the valves. If that where an open chamber, or partially open chamber you would see more of a circle portion around the heads that has been machined/recessed making a bigger opening when it's mounted ontop of the cylinder.

I had to physically look at a set of closed vs open to understand the difference.

As far as is there an 049 in both versions, I have no clue.

·
Registered
633 Posts
what is the difference in open and closed chamber heads? someone told me, he had a set of 049 open and a set of 049 closed chambers heads, yet on mortec all i see is open. are there 2 different types?
The openchamber head's flow better, ( air can get around the valve better ) ,,as far as the #'s ( 049 , I think those are only open chamber )
..........................Eric:)hand

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
049's are all open chamber. They are 113 cc's. They are smaller then a lot of open chamber heads.

·
Registered
436 Posts
049s are 119 to 123 ccs. 049s are all open chamber and most of the later heads are 122 to 123 cc.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts