Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cole SS
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install larger valves in my heads with a mild port job. Should I install hardened valve seats? What do most people do? Thanks

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I am getting ready to install larger valves in my heads with a mild port job. Should I install hardened valve seats? What do most people do? Thanks
What fuel are you going to run? Leaded race fuel or LL (low lead) AV gas will not require hard-seats. UNleaded fuels require hard seats.

I don't know that any machine shops will let heads out of their building without hard seats anymore. Older heads, that is. New heads have "adjusted" metal/alloy content to handle unleaded fuels right from the start. Although new aluminums are a different story. Gotta have seats in those, obviously.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
depends what year 049's they are if I remember correctly, later ones had
the seat area's induction hardened I believe. boat applications aren't like
car app's either, even without hard seat inserts, your not looking for 100,000 miles of service! never really seen any problems doing this, and I
have done it quite a few times! pulled 'em off couple seasons later, no
noticable seat recession, or anything seat related, for that matter. 1 thing
you should do though, is make sure you unshroud the chamber for the
exaust valve, better yet, ask steelcomp, understand he's the 049 guru!

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
depends what year 049's they are if I remember correctly, later ones had
the seat area's induction hardened I believe. boat applications aren't like
car app's either, even without hard seat inserts, your not looking for 100,000 miles of service! never really seen any problems doing this, and I
have done it quite a few times! pulled 'em off couple seasons later, no
noticable seat recession, or anything seat related, for that matter. 1 thing
you should do though, is make sure you unshroud the chamber for the
exaust valve, better yet, ask steelcomp, understand he's the 049 guru!
Hardly the guru...but I do have a large oval port upgraded head that I offer and hardened seats are an option, but for these marine apps I don't consider them mandatory. If you're installing oversized valves, you'll machine out any factory induction hardening. Like mentioned above, most marine deals see relatively few hours and if you make sure to have good valve springs, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hardly the guru...but I do have a large oval port upgraded head that I offer and hardened seats are an option, but for these marine apps I don't consider them mandatory. If you're installing oversized valves, you'll machine out any factory induction hardening. Like mentioned above, most marine deals see relatively few hours and if you make sure to have good valve springs, it shouldn't be an issue.
x2

·
Registered
436 Posts
You don't need hardened seats in a 049 head. I saw a 454 last night make 626 hp/612tq with a Isky flat tappet, 10.4 comp with a set of ported 781s!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts