Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had issues this past weekend and not sure whats happening- Will leaving off gas cap get air in the fuel line with a need to have that purged? My son had left both tanks empty over the winter and first time out both tanks were on E but it started ok and I ran it to a gas dock and filled up -my nephew left one of the gas caps off and while backing the boat out it stalled-tried and tried to start it after 25 minutes and with starter spray would not run? Had a mechanic check it and within an hour back on the water Mechanic said he had to purge the fule line-I never did find if it was from the cap off or the low on E thing -a few days later I ran to E on a tank and the boat stopped running- the boat did the same thing would not start after switching to the full tank but finally after 20 tries and using some starting fluid I got it to start and finally run -when switching tanks from E to full is this typical not to start at first if I did run out of gas-how can I purge the line like the mechanics do if this happens again? or am I not understanding any of this and completely off base? any info will help for future peace of mind

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Well, I am not JW, but it's real simple to do.

When I change the fuel filter (emptying the fuel in the line), I just leave the cap on the tank (non vented cap) and put a rag around the outboard vent head and blow compressed air into it. This pushes the fuel right up to / and into the fuel pump. Then just cycle the key a few times.

As you go to start the boat (ignition key to start), the injectors will bleed off any remaining air into the motor and fuel will follow.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I have a 07 magic 28' deck boat- I wonder where that fuel vent is?
Walk around the boat. It is either anodized the same color as your other hardware, or just polished. It will be a round piece, about 1" diameter with a hole in it - probably pointed downward. On boats with one tank, it is usually near the fuel-fill.

EDIT: Oh, and it will smell like fuel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep the boat at my Place in Havasu Springs-will check when I go back maybe on the 4th-

I just do not recall seeing that type of drain thing with the down turned type spout maybe its just a round drain looking chrome piece type-

Whats the top speed for your boat?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I just do not recall seeing that type of drain thing with the down turned type spout maybe its just a round drain looking chrome piece type-

Whats the top speed for your boat?
Oh, it's there. Trust me. On mine, it mid-ship along the sides. On a friend's Shockwave, with single-tank, it's at the back (transom).

I have hit 68 with two people, half fuel, cold day, etc.

Real-life performance is 60-62 on a hot day with 8-10 adults, ice chests, full fuel.

Most of my crew doesn't like to go much past 40-45, so it spends most of its life at 35-40 cruise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts