Performance Boats Forum banner

1,000 hp n/a pump gas???

Tags
gas pump
22K views 150 replies 36 participants last post by  Bubbletop409 
#1 ·
okay guys here it goes:p

my ole man and me have been b.s. about building a 1,000 hp pump gas n/a motor.not 800-950hp but 1,000,thats the goal anyway.:p

lots of questions,i know there is a few around here that have it,i think cyclone does;)

what c.i. do we need 600 plus?
no more than 11.1 with aluminum heads already have them on is 496 motor.brodix bb2 plus cnc ported heads

of course chris straub will do the cam profile and a few other things.

this will happen next winter:D

i talked with straub about this and we want to do this with a single carb its not impossible in our opinions,he thought it woul be a challenge well thats what we want:p

any and all advice will be greatful,thought this might get some good info going for other peeps to read and learn a few things as well as me.

i want to go with a brodix-or dart block??good or bad
heads of course will be brodix
brodix single plane intake

what size carb? we have a 1050,need bigger??not a problem,we can do that.

what crank-rod combo???
what piston make?
it will have rail mount rockers,ect.try and do it with the best to keep longevity as a main concern.;)

is this possible to do 1,000 hp n/a motor.might ad some go juice after the mark just for the hell of it.and yes this will be in a jet boat.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just depends how big your wallet is, check out www.sunsetracecraft.com then look under the ass hauler series, 1100+ with a four barrell. These guys build great engines. Reher & Morrison, and Steve Schmidt also build similar power.

#3 ·
thanks but we will be building this ourself.and i promise the piston will not come out of the hole:)handlol!!!!!!

just wanting any good advice or personal experince with this kind of goal,thanks travis:D

#10 ·
600"+ and better head's. That's just a start.

He can alway's go to the local swap meet and yard sale's and start collecting the part's :p

Sleeper CP :D

#61 · (Edited)
GM Hemispherical Heads
Designed and Fully CNC Machined By Sonny's

Home About Us Engines Induction Heads Accessories Apparel Ordering Customers

BRODIX/SONNY'S 14.5 DEGREE “AS CAST”
feature list:
• Sonny's/Brodix race ready heads, Manley springs and SAR stainless valves

• Brodix 1x4 intake (9.800” and 10.200” D.H.)

• Sonny's/T&D rocker system w/ 1 pc bar and needle bearing roller tips

• Venolia lightweight pistons

• Sonny's tool steel wrist pins

• Speed Pro rings

• ARP head stud kit (steel blocks)

• 16 custom pushrods

• Sonny's aluminum sheet metal valve covers

• Intake and valve cover gaskets

THIS KIT GIVES YOU UP TO 150+ HP OVER 26 DEGREE CHEVY HEADED ENGINE (615 CU. IN.)

This conversion kit includes:
#PB2005 14.5 degree “as cast” ported head. The ultimate sportsman induction package for 500-630 cu. in. 1x4 engine. 490 cc intake runner that flows 515 cfm out of the box. Sonny's has spent many hours of R&D to produce port size and configuration that yields the most power with broad torque curve. These heads come flow tested, Pro Stock valve angles, Manley springs, stainless valves (optional titanium valves) and 10 degree locks.

$8,595.00

Additional Options
Sonny's Pro Stock valve seat angles, bowls blended and intake runners CNC,
port matched, intake runners will flow 517 cfm
$1,095.00
Engines over 6500 rpm we recommend to upgrade to titanium valves
$485.00

© copyright 2005 | Sonny's Racing Engines | all rights reserved

These look to be pretty close to my $$$ number. Only thing is that "Pro Stock Valve Job" will last about an hour cruising on the lake. Close though.

Buy a Kaase engine and paint "CHEVROLET HEMI" on the valve covers!!

RR :D :)hand

#13 ·
well we are getting somewhere,explain the heads??
i want rod and stroke ratio,i know more than 1 has dreamed about this but i wanna make it real;)

money well yeah that can be a real bastard,but 1 never knows how deep the pocket goes:p

keep it coming im not being a smart ass give me some good info here,not that your gonna need alot of money well no shit holmes:)hand

okay so far raised port heads?????me i need to know about these:)bulb
600 plus cubes????
alot of money,lol!!!!!ya think:)sphss

oh yeah bsflyin ive seen you drive you suck:)devil

#15 ·
well we are getting somewhere,explain the heads??
i want rod and stroke ratio,i know more than 1 has dreamed about this but i wanna make it real;)

money well yeah that can be a real bastard,but 1 never knows how deep the pocket goes:p

keep it coming im not being a smart ass give me some good info here,not that your gonna need alot of money well no shit holmes:)hand

okay so far raised port heads?????me i need to know about these:)bulb
600 plus cubes????
alot of money,lol!!!!!ya think:)sphssMy driving has is exellent:)devilJust like them guys said Reher Morrison heads .I got the Catalog here at the house,Show it to you Sat. if you show up:D

oh yeah bsflyin ive seen you drive you suck:)devil
My driving is exellent after a few *******.Just like those guys have already posted,Reher Morrison heads.I got a RMR catalog here at the house you can look at SAT. if you show up.

#22 ·
Figure $3,000 for Head castings, $1500 for Ti Valves, $1500 for Rockers, $1200 for Springs, Ti Retainers, Locks, Cups and Seals, $4,000 for good CNC porting on the Heads, $750 for a good 4V Cast Intake, $1,000 on Intake porting and $500.00 for misc crap JUST FOR THE HEADS. That will get you in the 1,000 hp door with a GOOD ShortBlock under it. You may be at the back of the room, but at least you'll be inside. JMO RR :D:D

#23 ·
Hummm,

Maybe a 600" Jon Kaase Boss headed Ford needs to be built.

Sleeper CP :D

#26 ·
I think I remember that engine. I think it is still for sale too, unless he has sold it off the site.

#28 ·
If you are using C Straughb for the cam design, he better than anyone can tell you exactly what is needed 1, what parts you should use 2, and a base line to start from 3. You may even be able to build such a beast, but way more goes into the design than just parts. You may make your 1000hp dyno pull, it might eat it's self up on the dyno. Yes you can buy all the pieces off the shelf to do this, but making it live, is now the goal, and may be out of the average builders realm.

#29 ·
Just to give you an idea on the project. A friend of mine just picked up a 582 from shafroff. it is 12-1 and made 1033 hp on there dyno. This was with a set of conventional heads. As far as cubes go I wouldnt recommend trying with anything less than a 598 cube. You are going to need a very good head like a big chief style to take up the slack.

#31 ·
okay thanks fellas:D

and brian i dont hate reher-morrison at all.just dont want to get stuck with just there products,there are alot of good places beside them thats all.:)handif you keep acting like this i wont let you borrow my tools:p

as far as boat goes,maybe a tx-19 or maybe a tunnel style boat.;)

the main goal is to make 1,000hp on pump gas,im finding from the information this could be almost not possible unless you go with alot of compression and race fuel,which sucks:|err

im asking these questions to learn things and get peeps that know about this kinda thing can teach me and other,anything wrong with that.

i have computer software to play with,imo its still not the real world may get me close.

so it looks like big chief heads are a must,and atleast 600 c.i.
anything else other than money:)hammers

#34 ·
#33 ·
okay guys here it goes

my ole man and me have been b.s. about building a 1,000 hp pump gas n/a motor.not 800-950hp but 1,000,thats the goal anyway.

lots of questions,i know there is a few around here that have it,i think cyclone does;)

what c.i. do we need 600 plus?
no more than 11.1 with aluminum heads already have them on is 496 motor.brodix bb2 plus cnc ported heads

of course chris straub will do the cam profile and a few other things.

this will happen next winter

i talked with straub about this and we want to do this with a single carb its not impossible in our opinions,he thought it woul be a challenge well thats what we want

any and all advice will be greatful,thought this might get some good info going for other peeps to read and learn a few things as well as me.

i want to go with a brodix-or dart block??good or bad
heads of course will be brodix
brodix single plane intake

what size carb? we have a 1050,need bigger??not a problem,we can do that.

what crank-rod combo???
what piston make?
it will have rail mount rockers,ect.try and do it with the best to keep longevity as a main concern.;)

is this possible to do 1,000 hp n/a motor.might ad some go juice after the mark just for the hell of it.and yes this will be in a jet boat.
hil:) hil:) hil:) hil:) hil:) hil:) hil:) hil:)

#36 ·
Hotbo,
I will take a head flowing in excess of 400 CFM to do what you want to do, pump gas compression engine. The BB2 Plus is a good head but for a project like this it won't be enough.

I was the guest of Sonny Leonards last week at his shop in Lynchburg. This is home of the Moutain Motors. He had an 864 CID engine on the dyno when I was there and one of his guys came in the office and told him he was at 1915 HP. In conversation he wants to do more work in the marine field. One of his largest customers currently is Mercury Marine. We discussed some 1000HP and 1500HP engine packages for Jet/V-Drive and I/O projects as he is interested in getting into this market. I will have access to all of the 5" and 5.300" bore engine packages including his new Hemispherical 904 CID BBC available later this year.

As said your going to need 600Plus, heads in excess of 400 CFM, and a heavy wallet.

#39 ·
Hotbo,
I will take a head flowing in excess of 400 CFM to do what you want to do, pump gas compression engine. The BB2 Plus is a good head but for a project like this it won't be enough.

I was the guest of Sonny Leonards last week at his shop in Lynchburg. This is home of the Moutain Motors. He had an 864 CID engine on the dyno when I was there and one of his guys came in the office and told him he was at 1915 HP. In conversation he wants to do more work in the marine field. One of his largest customers currently is Mercury Marine. We discussed some 1000HP and 1500HP engine packages for Jet/V-Drive and I/O projects as he is interested in getting into this market. I will have access to all of the 5" and 5.300" bore engine packages including his new Hemispherical 904 CID BBC available later this year.

As said your going to need 600Plus, heads in excess of 400 CFM, and a heavy wallet.
thanks chris for the info:)handi wanna go with you next time to sonny leonards:pwere is my cam i need it:D

#37 · (Edited)
As I mentioned on the "old forum" I had the same goal last year (well, 800ft/lb-900hp) on pump gas. This was going in my "family" boat so I needed it to be reliable. Not having the money to do it from scratch I purchased a used 598ci Big Duke headed engine off of Racingjunk. the guy was local so that made it a little easier. Of course upon disassembly I found out it wasn't quite as nice as I first thought. It had some decent parts but looked like it was assembled in a gravel pit and had no "detail" to the build. I build race engines for a living so fixing the stuff and making them usable wasn't an issue, but when it was all said and done I could have built the same piece new for about 2500.00 to 3000.00 more.

It made just under 830ft/lb @5200 and 940hp @ 6300 (highest we pulled it but still going strong). This was on the third pull with 02 sensors still in the primaries and 28* timing so it wasn't even broken in yet (let alone the 10.9 to 11.1 AFR). We had an intake rocker issue (old style Jessel) and had to stop. Never had a chance to re-run. I felt pretty good about the numbers considering the state of tune, over driving a stock water pump and no vaccuam pump (also a very conservetive dyno). I think with a little tuning, synthetic oil and a vaccuam pump I could have got to the 1000hp mark but maybe not. Don't do Big Blocks much so I don't know how it would have responded to a 3-4 degrees of timing, removing the 02's, synthetic oil and leaning it out a full ratio.
The thing has nothing trick in the bottom end. Big rings, way too much oil ring tension ect. so I think I could have made 1000hp fairly easy with a little different set-up but that is the parts I had, and durability was a big factor!

The engine is as follows:
CNC Bow-Tie block 4.605 bore
Ross pistons (cut the dome off to achieve flat top) 1/16, 1/16, 3/16
Eagle 6.535 rods
Cola 4.5 crank
CC roller 278/286 @ .050 .810 lift 110LS installed @ 107
Jessel shaft 1.7
Manton pushrods
Old Hamburger oil pan with Moroso billet pump
Old set of Big Duke 1800 heads 2.400in/1.9ex valves (chambers taken to 100cc by Sonny Leonard) standard type valve seat angles, MILD porting
Dart Tunnel Ram (stock)
2 1100 Pro-System Dominators
MSD crank trigger

This was my first big block build in 20 years but I do build race engines all day every day so my experience didn't hurt (not to mention the experience of the people I know in the bussiness), and sure saved me a TON of money. The parts can be bought to do this for about $15,000.00 to $18,000.00 but the rest of the money that these engines cost (another 5-10K) is spent on working the parts, machine work and fitting and re-fitting.

As has been stated, the recipe is the easy part as these type of numbers aren't easy but fairly common these day's. It is getting everything "happy" so it will run good and last that is the hard part. One little mistake (and it doesn't take much) and you have just ruined a bunch of good part$!!!
When you get to these power levels EVERYTHING has to be in line or the fun will be short lived.
Is it possible?? Hell yes, just not sure if it's something the average weekend builder should try with out some highly experienced, highly knowledgable hands on guidance anyway! ;)

#44 ·
As I mentioned on the "old forum" I had the same goal last year (well, 800ft/lb-900hp) on pump gas. This was going in my "family" boat so I needed it to be reliable. Not having the money to do it from scratch I purchased a used 598ci Big Duke headed engine off of Racingjunk. the guy was local so that made it a little easier. Of course upon disassembly I found out it wasn't quite as nice as I first thought. It had some decent parts but looked like it was assembled in a gravel pit and had no "detail" to the build. I build race engines for a living so fixing the stuff and making them usable wasn't an issue, but when it was all said and done I could have built the same piece new for about 2500.00 to 3000.00 more.

It made just under 830ft/lb @5200 and 940hp @ 6300 (highest we pulled it but still going strong). This was on the third pull with 02 sensors still in the primaries and 28* timing so it wasn't even broken in yet (let alone the 10.9 to 11.1 AFR). We had an intake rocker issue (old style Jessel) and had to stop. Never had a chance to re-run. I felt pretty good about the numbers considering the state of tune, over driving a stock water pump and no vaccuam pump (also a very conservetive dyno). I think with a little tuning, synthetic oil and a vaccuam pump I could have got to the 1000hp mark but maybe not. Don't do Big Blocks much so I don't know how it would have responded to a 3-4 degrees of timing, removing the 02's, synthetic oil and leaning it out a full ratio.
The thing has nothing trick in the bottom end. Big rings, way too much oil ring tension ect. so I think I could have made 1000hp fairly easy with a little different set-up but that is the parts I had, and durability was a big factor!

The engine is as follows:
CNC Bow-Tie block 4.605 bore
Ross pistons (cut the dome off to achieve flat top) 1/16, 1/16, 3/16
Eagle 6.535 rods
Cola 4.5 crank
CC roller 278/286 @ .050 .810 lift 110LS installed @ 107
Jessel shaft 1.7
Manton pushrods
Old Hamburger oil pan with Moroso billet pump
Old set of Big Duke 1800 heads 2.400in/1.9ex valves (chambers taken to 100cc by Sonny Leonard) standard type valve seat angles, MILD porting
Dart Tunnel Ram (stock)
2 1100 Pro-System Dominators
MSD crank trigger

This was my first big block build in 20 years but I do build race engines all day every day so my experience didn't hurt (not to mention the experience of the people I know in the bussiness), and sure saved me a TON of money. The parts can be bought to do this for about $15,000.00 to $18,000.00 but the rest of the money that these engines cost (another 5-10K) is spent on working the parts, machine work and fitting and re-fitting.

As has been stated, the recipe is the easy part as these type of numbers aren't easy but fairly common these day's. It is getting everything "happy" so it will run good and last that is the hard part. One little mistake (and it doesn't take much) and you have just ruined a bunch of good part$!!!
When you get to these power levels EVERYTHING has to be in line or the fun will be short lived.
Is it possible?? Hell yes, just not sure if it's something the average weekend builder should try with out some highly experienced, highly knowledgable hands on guidance anyway! ;)
see this is what im talking about warp:)devilgood info brother thanks:)hand

i have never like someone who goes and buys someone elses motor and then trys to tell me what they know.i wanna get my hands dirty and play;)learn as much as i can.i do have access to some very knowlegable people and im not afraid to call anyone and ask any question,even if it sounds stupid.:)bulb

all im getting from most is have a very heavy wallet,well hell come on alot of fellas dont mind dropping 20-30-40 thousand on a truck or car.so whats wrong with spending that on a motor.ill drive a 500 dollar truck and have nice toys,its called getting your priorities right.lol!!!!!!!!

we are gonna do this and shot for the goal might come up short but with a good attack angle and alot of help i think we can overcome the negative so many try to talk about and make it happen.:)LegHump

one main problem i keep running into is doing it with a single carb.like mr.straub talked about it will be very hard to do.with 2 carbs and a t-ram wouldnt be as bad.but it has been a long term dream of mine to do this with a single carb and blow peeps minds

#52 ·
Just run a Hemi FORD!!

block--------------stock 460
bore---------------4.390
stroke-------------4.300
crank--------------cast iron Motorsport, 2.500" rods
rods---------------eagle CRS 6605 F3D
pistons-------------Diamond flat top
compression------10.9
head cc------------84
carb----------------BG king Demon 1150
cam----------------Comp Roller 273-280 110* .457 lobe

This is the same old short block we have been testing with since 2000. We even did all the original SCJ prototype head testing with it. The heads are our prototype Boss Hemi that we are going to be making. Pix on other thread. It has the same valve spring that we install on the P-51 roller heads. (Manley 221243 dual, 1.550") Same retainers also (steel Comp) We ran it to 7500 with no problem. ... WOW 900 hp on only 521 cui... Forget the Chevy!!! 600"BBF with Kaase 429 boss heads will get you way over 1,000hp!!! Plus you have BLING FORD HEMI!!!

#53 ·
#55 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.