Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys recommend using a sealant when using the 1 pc on a BBC ? If so what type and where should it be used?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
no silicone along the rails at all! just a touch where the timing cover meets the block, and the same applies on the back with the rear main cap, just a tad where the cap meets the block.go by the gm dealership and pick up some engine assembly adhesive or the grey silicone, whichever they have. its more of a glue than silicone, but it will not let the gasket move much. the part number is 88861417. i do 1 piece gaskets all the time and this is what i use at the dealer. back when i used silicone, the gasket would move around alot.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks IMPATIENT 1, I've used the 1 pc's before, but not always with good results. The little tits don't want to line up with the holes in the timing cover either.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
speaking of silicone. here are the mopar #s of the best
I have found, the gray gear sealant part #82300234
is a adhesive silicone, great for water outlets,oil pans corners ect. and the black ATF RTV is oil resistant.
part # 5010884AA

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
speaking of silicone. here are the mopar #s of the best
I have found, the gray gear sealant part #82300234
is a adhesive silicone, great for water outlets,oil pans corners ect. and the black ATF RTV is oil resistant.
part # 5010884AA
Ever tried the stuff called "right stuff"?

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Yep, I really like it, hasn't let me down yet. Very reliable.
I like it because its ready to go by the time you wash your hands and (knock on wood) have never had anything leak when using it. Its not like the regular stuff that you can grab an end and pull it off, this stuff glues!!!

1,011 Posts
How is it when it comes time to take it apart? I've used some stuff in the past that took a jack hammer to get it apart. The first time I used a silicone, don't know what kind, I didn't let it skin over before assembly. Later when I went to take it apart, I thought I'd never get it off.
Tim

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Comes right of when you use a big enough jack hammer. :D

I does stick more than the norm. but not so bad. I dont curse when I know I have to pull an intake if that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts