Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out working on the boat today getting the engine plates cut and the block mounted and have been having a hell of a time getting a decent drive line angle. Come to find out the intake was set crooked. :|err

Anyone in the inland empire area wanna help me put a set back in my boat now? :(:( Doesn't look like this summer is gonna be a boating summer for me. Ah oh well.

~Brian

·
Registered
557 Posts
Come on Brian, get your chin off your chest! LOL
Think about it. how long has the boat been running that way? (probably 90% of boats built in this era had intakes the same way) Don't worry about the driveline being perfect. Set the engine in there, line it up by eye till it looks pretty good, leave a little angle on the u-joints & go boating! It's summer time. That is exactly how the boat was probably built in the first place!

Ken

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Come on Brian, get your chin off your chest! LOL
Think about it. how long has the boat been running that way? (probably 90% of boats built in this era had intakes the same way) Don't worry about the driveline being perfect. Set the engine in there, line it up by eye till it looks pretty good, leave a little angle on the u-joints & go boating! It's summer time. That is exactly how the boat was probably built in the first place!

Ken

X2

Get that bitch in the water:)devil

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its almost a full inch to the right... I suppose I can run it like that, I'll take a picture of how the drive line looks. I figure though that I have it down this far might as well put it together right... Even if it takes a little time.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Run it for the summer, and then in the fall, you'll have a project. It's been that way for awhile, so one more summer wont hurt.

Darrell.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Run it for the summer, and then in the fall, you'll have a project. It's been that way for awhile, so one more summer wont hurt.

Darrell.
Yes.

Enjoy it this year, fix it this winter, then enjoy it every bit as much next year.

I HIGHLY doubt you'll notice ANY difference next year.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts

Darrell.
There you go!

Same "boat" I'm in......again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i did my driveline with a digital level in a slanted driveway and its off, works though...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
The intake may look crooked from the top but measure it on the bottom of the boat. Sometimes it will look that way because of the stringers when actually it is in staight and true to the bottom which is all that matters.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Brian, its a two day set back, pull it and do it right! who the hell wants to tear down their boat, just after a two or three year stint of NOT boating just to pull and re-set an intake in the winter! lol
I know a guy, that has a dad, that knows a guys sister, that has a cousin that might want to help you out, for a loaf of whole wheat bread, some fish, and some good red wine!:)sphss
Even if it was a week set back, take your time, that is all that you have at this point!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian, its a two day set back, pull it and do it right! who the hell wants to tear down their boat, just after a two or three year stint of NOT boating just to pull and re-set an intake in the winter! lol
I know a guy, that has a dad, that knows a guys sister, that has a cousin that might want to help you out, for a loaf of whole wheat bread, some fish, and some good red wine!:)sphss
Even if it was a week set back, take your time, that is all that you have at this point!

So who is this fella? I got some bread...... Maybe some beer and slow smoked tri-tip sammiches.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The intake may look crooked from the top but measure it on the bottom of the boat. Sometimes it will look that way because of the stringers when actually it is in staight and true to the bottom which is all that matters.

Haven't measured it from the bottom of the hull but its c.o.c.k. eyed between the stringers about a half inch to the passenger side. Was worried about spline issues. I am running a little bit more power through the driveline then what was originally there so I want to get er done right.

~Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts