Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a matched pair of 1050 dominators and was wondering who's I should use? Holley, Quick Fuel, AED, or ??? Who would you recommend and why?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had pretty good luck with AED and I believe Steelcomp has used them on the blown 496 he did. And the price is right. Personally, I like the idea of the external linkage on them. They aren't the trickest looking carbs, but they get the job done, and the calibration on mine were spot on.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AED1050PS
So do they require any special linkage to the carbs, or will standard enderly linkage work?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Chuck Nuytton in Texas built mine and was dead on! He builds mild to wild what ever it takes! Good luck! WT:)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Chuck Nuytton in Texas built mine and was dead on! He builds mild to wild what ever it takes! Good luck! WT:)devil
he used to build all our sbc alky carbs when we were dirt trackin, builds awesome carbs! price is alil up there though.

i'd go for the external linkage, be nice to have the ability to adjust linkage and also never have to worry bout the motor eating carb hardware.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
These all sound like good suggestions, but I will say tht the guys at AED were about the nicest guys I've talked to and sounded very knowledgable. I used a pair of their 850's on the last blower engine I did and they were dead on, out of the box.

·
Registered
629 Posts
These all sound like good suggestions, but I will say tht the guys at AED were about the nicest guys I've talked to and sounded very knowledgable. I used a pair of their 850's on the last blower engine I did and they were dead on, out of the box.
yeah but Steel, what did you use on your now legendary 467/821 ???????????

Just bustin on ya. :D

Jim

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
So do they require any special linkage to the carbs, or will standard enderly linkage work?
The standard linkages work. the external linkage on them just allows you to adjust the rate and timing that the secondaries open. Nice feature. Also, stock Doms have internal linkage between the pri and sec that can fail and drop parts down your manifold:)sphss unless you are running a safety plate under them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a custom built carb from Chuck Nuytten and all it is is a $1,300.00 paper weight. I know DaBulls Howard also had Chucks that gave him alot of headaches. You can't go wrong with Holley. After several attepts to correct the Chuck, I chucked it for a out of the box Holley. Jetted properly and a few minor tweeks, and it kicks ass. Bolted on out of the box, 30 to 45 seconds of warm up and the motor idled nicely, and this is one serious motor. Most top level racers use Holley. You can take your chances with other brands, I put a Proform on my hot rod, and it works great, but for my boat motor, Holley. One of my best friends has a pair of Holleys that were reworked by DaVinci. They work great and he is real happy with them, but he says they are more finicky now, a little less forgiving than when they were stock. If you want something guaranteed to work out of the box, Holley.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
I had a custom built carb from Chuck Nuytten and all it is is a $1,300.00 paper weight. I know DaBulls Howard also had Chucks that gave him alot of headaches. You can't go wrong with Holley. After several attepts to correct the Chuck, I chucked it for a out of the box Holley. Jetted properly and a few minor tweeks, and it kicks ass. Bolted on out of the box, 30 to 45 seconds of warm up and the motor idled nicely, and this is one serious motor. Most top level racers use Holley. You can take your chances with other brands, I put a Proform on my hot rod, and it works great, but for my boat motor, Holley. One of my best friends has a pair of Holleys that were reworked by DaVinci. They work great and he is real happy with them, but he says they are more finicky now, a little less forgiving than when they were stock. If you want something guaranteed to work out of the box, Holley.
Honestly, I couldn't agree more.:)devil

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Just sent my 1050's off to Lance Patton Racing carbs. Mine are the 3 circuit ones. He has done awesome work in the past for me. I expect nothing less this go round. Less expensive than other more recognized guys and personally I think better workmanship, but thats just my opinion. He takes about 2 to 3 weeks. PM me is you want his #.

He did a pair of 750's for me and they turned out perfect, I haven't touched them since I bolted them on the motor, except for one jet size change on the dyno.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
I need to get a matched pair of 1050 dominators and was wondering who's I should use? Holley, Quick Fuel, AED, or ??? Who would you recommend and why?
Asking about a carb guy you'll get 15 different answer's. Just like your answers here. I know a couple of guys who love Chuck and one guy who wouldn't send him the carb off his lawn mower. I've had both good and bad luck with John at C&J Engineering. He tried something new on (the boosters) with one of my domi's and I had to send it back, fuel curve was all phucked up and cost me 2-3 hours on the dyno.

I've heard tons of good stuff about Pro-Systems ....Patrick James. Builds carbs for Kaase, Bisoff, Glidden etc. etc. Got one of his 1,200's just haven't run it yet. His pricing was very, very reasonable for a custom carb. You can get the number off the carb. www.pro-system.com

S CP :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Honestly, I couldn't agree more.:)devil
x3

Probably not a holy grail answer here, but stock Holley's are a good piece out of the box, and they sell just about any size a carbureted motor will need. You might/will need some tuning for your application, but at least you're starting with a sound reliable base, and not a bunch of recycled parts with nice powder coat.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Asking about a carb guy you'll get 15 different answer's. Just like your answers here. I know a couple of guys who love Chuck and one guy who wouldn't send him the carb off his lawn mower. I've had both good and bad luck with John at C&J Engineering. He tried something new on (the boosters) with one of my domi's and I had to send it back, fuel curve was all phucked up and cost me 2-3 hours on the dyno.

I've heard tons of good stuff about Pro-Systems ....Patrick James. Builds carbs for Kaase, Bisoff, Glidden etc. etc. Got one of his 1,200's just haven't run it yet. His pricing was very, very reasonable for a custom carb. You can get the number off the carb. www.pro-system.com

S CP :D

We use his carbs on all our junk. lol. Just picked up a dominator for our 540 BBC and works great. Got one on my Stang and my dads stang also. Great customer service from him also.

As for out of the box Holley, on my SBF at least it ran like crap and would bog to no end. Messed with shooters, accel pump cams etc etc and finally said F it. Bought one of Patricks carbs and has been flawless right out of the box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts