Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hit it where you fit it
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts of a similar issue on a 1050 a few weeks back. I have a #9377-1 in a single card configuration on my 10.1 496 BBC. I feel I have a clean idle and by plug readings a fairly dialed in top end jetting with (91's to 93's squared with out power valves in either end (metering block castings are blocked off from Holley).

I have been experiencing a overly rich condition at my 4000 rpm cruise speeds which I read is typical of this style Dominator. So rich to the point of leaving the transon black after a days worth of driving.:mad:

The model I have has the non removable air bleeds and appears to be a 1996 model year if it matters. It also has progressive linkage.

I was wondering if I can either buy new billet metering blocks and run a power valve to lean out during the mid range without having to go larger on the intermediate air bleeds, or in addition to the PV , drill the air bleeds out to about .073" as I have read in earlier posts.

Any thoughts on this? Will the leaner jetting to say 84's with a PV be enough to get a clean cruise and an improvement in mileage with out messing with the air bleeds or will a combination of the two be the hot set up?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I have read a few posts of a similar issue on a 1050 a few weeks back. I have a #9377-1 in a single card configuration on my 10.1 496 BBC. I feel I have a clean idle and by plug readings a fairly dialed in top end jetting with (91's to 93's squared with out power valves in either end (metering block castings are blocked off from Holley).

I have been experiencing a overly rich condition at my 4000 rpm cruise speeds which I read is typical of this style Dominator. So rich to the point of leaving the transon black after a days worth of driving.:mad:

The model I have has the non removable air bleeds and appears to be a 1996 model year if it matters. It also has progressive linkage.

I was wondering if I can either buy new billet metering blocks and run a power valve to lean out during the mid range without having to go larger on the intermediate air bleeds, or in addition to the PV , drill the air bleeds out to about .073" as I have read in earlier posts.

Any thoughts on this? Will the leaner jetting to say 84's with a PV be enough to get a clean cruise and an improvement in mileage with out messing with the air bleeds or will a combination of the two be the hot set up?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....
I would go with the power valve myself. Proform makes nice metering blocks. (ones that actualy work)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
to get a clean cruise a/f ratio you're gonna need to take a vaccum reading under the carb at that cruise speed and install a p/v in accordance with those readings. i ended up removing my bleeds(i realize your's aren't removable) and just getting a good reading at cruise speeds, then i installed 2.5 p/valves, and it made a world of difference. try that before drillin the main body, main body's aren't cheap.

·
Hit it where you fit it
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my metering plates being "cast" without a PV port should I go with a billet set in the front and rear or just the front? Any advantage to PV's in both ends or is it to be avoided?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
With my metering plates being "cast" without a PV port should I go with a billet set in the front and rear or just the front? Any advantage to PV's in both ends or is it to be avoided?
i tried it both ways and had better looking plugs and fuel useage runnin p/valves. i use mine(dominator 1050hp 8896) for cruising alot at say 3700-4000rpms, and cove race some. with the p/v blocked, it ran fat most of the time, and i tried several jetting combos before i decided to take the p/v plugs out and tune the p/valves. it works for me. i run race gas , so i sure could tell my drum quit getting drained as fast runnin p/valves ;)

·
Hit it where you fit it
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like the plan, I will look into some blingy billet units and check the cruise vacuum tomorrow at the lake to get the correct PV 's in this pig. Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts