Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Twice....

I watched it, or most of it, twice... 2 different time zones from cable.... Not sure if it was just the TV broadcast, or even the shitty TV speakers, but it seemed like the "mix" was a mess for most of the groups. Yeah, I know it was truly a monumental stage crew task to break down and set up so quickly, but isn't the "mix" done from a control room???
IMO, the WHO stole the show. Not really impressed with the STONES, (although "Jumping Jack Flash" seemed to get the audience into it). Jagger acted as though he didn't want to be there, and left the stage, IMO, quite rudely...
..... The partial assembly of "PINK FLOYD" also had a chance using the old "Pink" standards, like the WHO did it with cuts from "Tommy", which seemed to "groove" right in with the average age of the audience...... Clapton, one of the best ever, seemed flat, and somewhat disconnected from the show... "KEYES" has the voice, and the message, but that was an example of what I said about the mixing.... She did get it right in the finale, after she shucked the ear piece and sang "live" instead of the controlled ear input sound.... Billy JOEL, was, as usual, great, and seemed to connect with the audience as good as any of them. He has a real connection to the area, especially NYC. The "BOSS", IMO, was robbed of excellence by the mix, and although the band was in tune, he drifted in and out vocally, and, IMO, missed a great chance to connect to "his" New Jersey audience... Bon Jovi was also plagued by the mix, but did manage to connect with the crowd, at least the locals, many of whom are/were his neighbors...

I'm not sure what percentage of the audience were actually "locals", but it also appeared that some of the "Sandy" message was lost on them..... If there was any recognition to those that lost their lives, beyond a quick mention, by a coMC, maybe Billy Chrystal, I missed it....
I think they missed an opportunity to get the crowd fired up by not having an audience pre planned "moment of silence", timed to 30 seconds, then an instruction to build up of the noise in an effort to break the DB record at the Garden with the doors open so everyone in the area, and those that lost their lives, could hear it...

I don't claim to be a music critic, and my hearing has been changed by too many sessions "between the headers" without sufficient protection. All in all, a great effort by all involved...(I wonder of Gov Christy had to buy two tickets??? )...
Ray

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you f'ing kidding me. That gay looking girly skirted Milli Vanilli wannabe didn't even belong on the same stage with those other real artists. Frickin poser blew chunks, I actually turned the sound off while he was on. He must have begged to be part of that show, had no place there. :stir: :gay:

They should have had Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood to appeal to a pop/country side more.

I agree with Ray, the mixing sucked particularly on the early artists to play. Hopefully it sounded better live.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Whew!!!

Are you f'ing kidding me. That gay looking girly skirted Milli Vanilli wannabe didn't even belong on the same stage with those other real artists. Frickin poser blew chunks, I actually turned the sound off while he was on. He must have begged to be part of that show, had no place there. :stir: :gay:

They should have had Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood to appeal to a pop/country side more.

I agree with Ray, the mixing sucked particularly on the early artists to play. Hopefully it sounded better live.
Thanks Mike, I thought ALL my hearing had started around the bend....... But if you also noticed it, I guess it was the mixing after all..... Did you see ALL the equipment behind McCartney? Jezzes, a whole wall of amps and stuff, not to mention a different guitar for each song, and a piano..... He was also somewhat disconnected with the "message" about Sandy..... I guess for some it was more about what people would think if they didn't show up, more than what they actually felt about doing the gig for "the cause"......Make no mistake, this wasn't "Farm aid", not even close.....
As some one mentioned around the phone bank area, "if every one would donate the average age of the entertainers in dollars the money issues would be over".... Hell, Jagger looks about 80!!! And Richards looks like his father!!!!
Ray

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts