Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets get some real answers. the boat i just purchased has 13.5to1 and the guy i bought it from said he was told by people in his area that he could run 100 octane unleaded,(racing fuel @ pump. and worst case if he get only get pump fuel he could run 91 with lucas octane boost, one of my threads, everybody said to run 110 or better, what do you guys think, thanks

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
lets get some real answers. the boat i just purchased has 13.5to1 and the guy i bought it from said he was told by people in his area that he could run 100 octane unleaded,(racing fuel @ pump. and worst case if he get only get pump fuel he could run 91 with lucas octane boost, one of my threads, everybody said to run 110 or better, what do you guys think, thanks
I think I'd talk to Glen since he knows a lot about that boat.

·
Registered
853 Posts
with having cast heads and big compression you need to run 11o.it is as easy to get as pump gas.parker oil carries it at the pump 11o sunoco race fuel.the only bad thing is they close at 6 pm and closed on sunday.so fill your boat up and some gas jugs.i think they will be open every day for the holidays :D

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with having cast heads and big compression you need to run 11o.it is as easy to get as pump gas.parker oil carries it at the pump 11o sunoco race fuel.the only bad thing is they close at 6 pm and closed on sunday.so fill your boat up and some gas jugs.i think they will be open every day for the holidays :D
i will get some jugs this week, need to go to one local motorcycle shop i guess to get those.any other ideas where to get them..

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
sometimes the local speed shop carries them or wal-mart carries the red 5 gallon jugs.
that's what i use :)devil they're alot easier to lug around at the lake , plus you don't have to take a funnel;)

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking to buy some metal cans, busby said the plastic ones allow your fuel to loose octaine quicker. BTW nice looking squirt boat!
thanks h20, metal, they still make them, wouldnt they be heavy..how big can you get..?:D

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I'm looking to buy some metal cans, busby said the plastic ones allow your fuel to loose octaine quicker. BTW nice looking squirt boat!
not octane ... but light hydrocarbons which changes the flash point ... I know it is a bit technical but that's what you loose in reality

the plastic cans are porous and are not good for long time storage. They are good for a week or so. Storing it in a steel container will keep it good for about a year if you seal it back up.

Buy yourself a 30 gallon drum the first time and then just refill it so it's easy to move in your truck and store in your garage.

13.5:1 needs 110, IMO.

Nice ride btw milkmoney. Good find.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not octane ... but light hydrocarbons which changes the flash point ... I know it is a bit technical but that's what you loose in reality

the plastic cans are porous and are not good for long time storage. They are good for a week or so. Storing it in a steel container will keep it good for about a year if you seal it back up.

Buy yourself a 30 gallon drum the first time and then just refill it so it's easy to move in your truck and store in your garage.

13.5:1 needs 110, IMO.

Nice ride btw milkmoney. Good find.
great info,, the problem is i do not have a garage right now, living in a condo.. i will have to figure out something,,thanks busby..:D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
great info,, the problem is i do not have a garage right now, living in a condo.. i will have to figure out something,,thanks busby..:D
Get the plastic ones and make sure you use up the gas, then store them on your patio or balcony until things change. You're only going to get about 30 feet per gallon :D anyway so it'll go fast. The gas, that is. LMAO

·
Registered
628 Posts
Photos

Where are the pictures?

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
this is a pic of the metal ones I've been using for 30+ yrs.

the first pair I had got sold with my old Jeep in 1982 when it would cost about $5.00 to fill :D
Northern Tool carries them if you want to order online-
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200323366_200323366
around here, Home Depot, Lowes, and a few other stores carry them.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
How big is the motor, are the heads iron or aluminum, and what size is the cam. Sounds like you got your anwser I'm just currious.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I should have known better than to try to quote busby, my bad. I had kind of an expensive day boating today...my kid laid the ol ladys digital camera down in the daytona now she no-worky. :mad:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
the PO said 13.5 to 1, but have you done a compression check? There are a lot of variable that go into octane requirements of the engine.

~Brian

1 - 20 of 35 Posts