Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone school me/us on 16 volt systems. Would this be a consideration for a blown alcohol system, with MSD Mag 40. How would everything else work?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
MSD Pro Mags require 200rpm cranking speed to create the spark necessary to start the engine. I found that my alcohol engine using a Tilton starter would not turn the motor 200rpm, therefore the engine wouldn't start. What I did was purchase a starter from Mike Dunn, (417) 967-0528, that has one additional tooth on the pinion gear and that fixed the problem. Maybe 16 volts would work, but I have no experience trying that. Good luck...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Can someone school me/us on 16 volt systems. Would this be a consideration for a blown alcohol system, with MSD Mag 40. How would everything else work?

Jerry
I run a gear reduction starter and a 16v system and it cranks over very fast. Boat211 uses a 16v with a msd mag and a mini starter and it fires every time.
whatch buildin Jerry??? Top secret boat and motor??

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16 volt

I run a gear reduction starter and a 16v system and it cranks over very fast. Boat211 uses a 16v with a msd mag and a mini starter and it fires every time.
whatch buildin Jerry??? Top secret boat and motor??
Do you use a 12 volt starter and just put 16 to it, or is it designed for 16volt?

what about the rest of the electrical? Do you use a filter/reducer or ?

Nothing top secret. It's blown alcohol in a Sanger hydro.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Do you use a 12 volt starter and just put 16 to it, or is it designed for 16volt?

what about the rest of the electrical? Do you use a filter/reducer or ?

Nothing top secret. It's blown alcohol in a Sanger hydro.

Jerry
Nope, 12 V starter will handle it and no filter or voltage drop except what is seen through bad connections or wires... I spoke with msd and they said the ignitions will handle 16v..

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
16 volt

thanks everyone. I talked to a few blown alcohol cars guy too. they all say just run it. For the short term, there will not be any issues.

Jerry

·
Registered
89 Posts
Keep it simple and inexpensive!

Hey Jerry, use 2 12 volt (small inexpensive) car batterys and a truck starter (steel case not aluminum). The batterys will provide needed weight in the sponson. The steel case starter will not break if you have a kickback while starting. DC voltage of 24 volts will not effect the 12 volt starter and you will spin the alcohol motor fast enough to start easily in hot or cold weather. You can use 1 battery for 12 volt accessories. Good luck, Ray

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16 volt

Hey Jerry, use 2 12 volt (small inexpensive) car batterys and a truck starter (steel case not aluminum). The batterys will provide needed weight in the sponson. The steel case starter will not break if you have a kickback while starting. DC voltage of 24 volts will not effect the 12 volt starter and you will spin the alcohol motor fast enough to start easily in hot or cold weather. You can use 1 battery for 12 volt accessories. Good luck, Ray
I like that idea. I'll look into that as well.

Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts