Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again. I picked this project up at the beginning of the summer. It is an 18' Advantage bubledeck,which is the exact same hull as a Rogers Bonneville 18.
The boat is in pretty good codition. The Gell coat is in pretty good shape,with the exception of a sun faded spot on the deck of the transom. It is a solid boat and it did come with some decent hardware, which i probobly will not use any of it. The plan is to use every thing out of the Kona, which is all brand new hardware.
Although I won't be thrashing on this untill the fall and winter, I have started cleaning it up and stripping it down.

Water transportation Vehicle Speedboat Boat Bass boat

Vehicle Water transportation Bass boat Speedboat Trailer

Vehicle Boat Bass boat Car Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

THE GOOD

The good things about the boat are, The Gelcoat is in decent shape.

Blue Vehicle Water transportation Hood Bass boat

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Automotive exterior

The stringers are solid.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Car Skiff

It came with some good dash hardware.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering part Steering wheel

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Classic car Classic

Has a decent tandem trailer.

THE BAD

The transom deck has a real bad faded spot that I will have to figure a fix for.

Vehicle Bumper Hood Gas Electric blue

The deck and transom have holes where there were deck hardware, thru transom exhaust, and swim steps.
I do not plan on disturbing the gelcoat to fill these holes, so I will have to get creative with some cover plates.

Motor vehicle Blue Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Blue Water Wood Gas Metal

Blue Vehicle door Automotive exterior Auto part Fender

Vehicle

The trailer has a broken fiberglass fender and needs to be rebunked and repainted.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

I think I will need to replace the front bulk head, because Ifound a little rot in one of the corners of the bow opening.

Floor Geology Flooring Wood Mold

All in all I think this will be a fun project.......Hal

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
18 Advantage

What year is that boat. I rigged alot of those boats for Harry but most of them had e pumps in them. It was a very popular boat on the stetch river from below the Parker strip all the way to Yuma. Harry and Debbie had a trailer at Shaggy Tree which Debbie still has to this day. Great boat for that part of the river espically in the open bow .

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What year is that boat. I rigged alot of those boats for Harry but most of them had e pumps in them. It was a very popular boat on the stetch river from below the Parker strip all the way to Yuma. Harry and Debbie had a trailer at Shaggy Tree which Debbie still has to this day. Great boat for that part of the river espically in the open bow .
Hey Greg. The boat is an '86. It is funny You mention the open bow and Debbie. I have a 83 Advantage openbow ( same hull as the blue one) that I baught at the beginning of summer. We had it out at the CP regatta and Debbie was out at the sandbar, She saw the boat and was talking about how clean it was and how they did not make that boat any more and how much She lked it and would like to have it.
I got numbers from 3 different people that were begging Me to call them if I decided to sell the openbow. Here is a picture of it. The open bow does have an E pump in it.

Water transportation Boat Vehicle Speedboat Boating

Water transportation Vehicle Boating Boat Waterway

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First thing I'd do is fix the bunks. It looks like it isn't sitting right
Hey Kevin,Yes the trailer does need to be rebunked. The boat will be comming off and put on a dolly and the bunks cut off and moved to propperly fit the hull, before any real weight ( engine) is put in it.
I need to find out where I can get the weld on bunk brackets.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sweet looking boat! Love the colors.....except why does every '80's boat have those kinda "stripes" on the deck? It'd look SOOO much better without them.
Good luck on the build....not like you need it though....
RIP Kona.....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Open Bow

Hey Greg. The boat is an '86. It is funny You mention the open bow and Debbie. I have a 83 Advantage openbow ( same hull as the blue one) that I baught at the beginning of summer. We had it out at the CP regatta and Debbie was out at the sandbar, She saw the boat and was talking about how clean it was and how they did not make that boat any more and how much She lked it and would like to have it.
I got numbers from 3 different people that were begging Me to call them if I decided to sell the openbow. Here is a picture of it. The open bow does have an E pump in it.

View attachment 174207

View attachment 174208
Saw that boat at the regatta and commented how clean it was and told a few people I'm sure I put that boat together originally. Harry really loved that little boat and beleive it or not we actually built quite a few.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hey Kevin,Yes the trailer does need to be rebunked. The boat will be comming off and put on a dolly and the bunks cut off and moved to propperly fit the hull, before any real weight ( engine) is put in it.
I need to find out where I can get the weld on bunk brackets.
Cut them off flush with a cutting wheel on a grinder, wire wheel them, weld them in the right place. They should be plenty tall. That's what I had to do when I fit my Schiada on a trailer for an 18'. Even lowered it on the trailer so the boat didn't sit so high.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cut them off flush with a cutting wheel on a grinder, wire wheel them, weld them in the right place. They should be plenty tall. That's what I had to do when I fit my Schiada on a trailer for an 18'. Even lowered it on the trailer so the boat didn't sit so high.
Hey Kevin, Thanks for that tip. I dont know why, I just did not occur to me to do that.

I got the boat cleaned up a bit.

Water transportation Vehicle Transport Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm excited to see how you work this boat. I have a matching yellow and blue advantage, closed bow. Have fun with it Hal!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm excited to see how you work this boat. I have a matching yellow and blue advantage, closed bow. Have fun with it Hal!
With the awesome job you did on the Kona, boat and thread, I think everyone is looking foward to this thread.:))THumbsUp

I hope that isn't too much pressure:D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey Duke If You have any pics of Your boat ,post them up, I would love to see them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Square peg in a round hole, sort of.

The idea for this build is to use all of the parts from the Kona to put this boat together. That being said, I thought I would mess around with trying to mock up and fit the interior in the boat,
Needless to say it was kind of like fitting a square peg in a round hole.
The bucket seats will work fine, but the cocktail seats are a different story. Here are a few pics.

This is the rear seating that I would like to make work.

Furniture Couch Room Sofa bed

Furniture Couch Chair Room

Here is what it looks like in the boat. The seat is too long, and it has a hump that was made to fit the hump in the Kona.
I would have to do a whole lot of modifying to make it fit and then I still do not know if it would work.
I wonder if I could just build a new frame and have an upholstery shop cut up and modify the vinyl covers to fit?
If any one has any sugestions, I would love to hear them.

Vehicle Water transportation Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Speedboat

Water transportation Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Boat

Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Maybe I will just rigit as a two seater with the front cover.

Vehicle Inflatable Machine Plastic Aerospace engineering

Vehicle

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A little Rigging

I just could not help myself, so I started mocking up some rigging.
I started with fabing up the rails and stringer plates for the engine mounts. I made the rails 36" long and i set them 1/4" below the top of the stringers.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Floor

Trailer Vehicle Automotive exterior Metal

I cut the ears on the rails and drilled the stringers for the bolts.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Auto part Car

Battery Box and Bracket

I mocked up and drilled the holes for the battery box bracket that I had fabed.

Mocked up the battery box.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Vehicle Auto part

Seat Brackets

Fabricated seat brackets for the the two bucket seats.
I mocked up the steering post and wheel, so that I could judge the distance back that I wanted to mount the seat. The steering post is from the Spectra and will be ano blue or polished.

Vehicle Auto part

Floor Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Table

Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
twenty bux says you fill all those transom holes and re-gell those sections :))THumbsUp killer work as always
Thanks Adam That's a bet I would probobly loose. I have been resisting the urge to do that, but it is like a crack head jonesing for a fix!... This is supose to be a budget build......H

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hal

I was one of the people that talked to you on the sand bar about your open bow are you still thinking about selling it? I have a place in shaggy tree a couple spots up from Debbie

1 - 20 of 198 Posts