Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
18 ft Sanger superjet 1977

I am the original owner of a 18ft 1977 sanger super jet and I like it. Last year the floor and foam were removed, replaced and glassed stronger than new (delta pad.) The hull under, was in like new condition and outside no stress cracks anywhere. I know i will never get the speed of a prop, Hp Vs. hp. The top speed was 68 mph and it got there fast.

Would this be a waste for this hull? I have sonic tested late BBF bored 40. I spoke with Kasse racing for heads and cast 4.3 w 6.7 stroker rotating assembly h rods, Diamond, I will do it right with all goodies. what is to much engine and what is a speed not to exceed in this hull? It is a bubble deck and has a bubble where the Berkeley 12jg pump mounts. Pump will also need bronze impeller. I will do all mechanics myself. Or, should i just build it like original sell and buy a prop boat.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Jet boat = Safety, quick acceleration, extreme manuverability, low maintenance but slow top speed.......Props, ok manuverability, ok acceleration, chop-you-up-or-bend-on-debris-prop, more maintenance....and a bit higher top speed.

A lot of people have switched to offshore boats because they can put up the big top-end numbers, which seems to be all anyone thinks about...At New Melones reservoir, years ago, a guy was running around with his 28 ft offshore with 500+ hp...Top end was supposed to be 74 mph....My boat does 62 on a good day...got to talking and he wanted to race....."You challenged me, so I pick the location......From dead stop here to that buoy over there" (maybe 800 feet away)....I got there first...by quite a bit...That OS boat digs a big hole and chugs for a while.

I would rather feel "G" forces....You have probably been going 2-3 times as fast as the fastest boat......and been reading a magazine...In an airliner...speed is relative, but "G" forces you can always feel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts