Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a set of bbc 180* snake headers that are to corroded to run, But in good enough condition to copy, any body know someone that could help. I live in socal santee I need them to run one of old Murl Burtons Engines, In His old HELLFIRE, Thanks

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Somebody here had a set in stainless for sale about a year ago, i will look after i wake up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Intrigued by what this meant i did some research. from what i gather it is to have 180*opposing firing order pistons in the same collector to increase and smooth the transition from midrange power to WOT by reducing scavenging. i feel i almost have a handle on this concept but would like confirmation of the jugs VS holes. i will ask using a common 460 as a model as i see it the order would go like this as in my drawing. if this is wrong could someone correct me please

1 A
5 E
4 C
2 F
6 D
3 H
7 G
8 B

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Intrigued by what this meant i did some research. from what i gather it is to have 180*opposing firing order pistons in the same collector to increase and smooth the transition from midrange power to WOT by reducing scavenging. i feel i almost have a handle on this concept but would like confirmation of the jugs VS holes. i will ask using a common 460 as a model as i see it the order would go like this as in my drawing. if this is wrong could someone correct me please

1 A
5 E
4 C
2 F
6 D
3 H
7 G
8 B
I beleave your right superjoe.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Thanks. for the help.
Took me a while:
http://www.performanceboats.com/parts-sale/75281-hillborn-injection-bbc-180-degree-headers.html

Not marked sold....And if i remember i think i saw them at needles..if they are same ones they are work of art..in stainless.
Kind of hard to verify how well they actually work..years ago i worked for a guy who put a real DZ 302 in a 911 prosche..used a dry sump to make room to cross the pipes under the motor..It sounded nothing like any chev i ever heard, even idle sounded different.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

1 A
5 E
4 C
2 F
6 D
3 H
7 G
8 B
Works better for me if do in my head and listen to just one collector.
Left collector
1 hit 2miss 1 hit 1 miss 2 hits 1 miss/1 hit 2 miss 1 hit 1miss 2 hits..etc....

And now that you mention it..I have driven several 302 Z-28's and they have a 'hit' about 5500..close ratio 4sp tends to cover it up. I never got to drive that Porsche but from what i could hear it had none of that hit....Not saying that necessarily more/less power..just smoother and if you are out blowing corners at the edge of traction smooth power has an advantage. especially in a car that is ass heavy even without an iron v-8 stuck in it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Works better for me if do in my head and listen to just one collector.
Left collector
1 hit 2miss 1 hit 1 miss 2 hits 1 miss/1 hit 2 miss 1 hit 1miss 2 hits..etc....
i do not quite understand what this means. i read the link and the only difference in the email sent seems that the input pulses in the collector should go in a circle as opposed to across and to the side as how ive ordered mine. could you please elaborate about the hit and miss? one and one would make sense but the pattern seems strange that you have mentioned

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
i do not quite understand what this means. i read the link and the only difference in the email sent seems that the input pulses in the collector should go in a circle as opposed to across and to the side as how ive ordered mine. could you please elaborate about the hit and miss? one and one would make sense but the pattern seems strange that you have mentioned
The pattern? Oh..the pattern..the firing order...18436372....GM Chrysler firing order...Pulses in collector in a circle? Like a Gatling gun? Never heard of that being necessary..Where a pipe ends up in the collector is more a function of getting the length of the primary pipes as close as possible.
While i am not sure, i think the 180* theory tends to place the importance of equal length secondary
over having pulses in each collector every 180* of crank rotation....

I am thinking that equal length primary pipes and a pulse every 180* in a collector should sound just like an inline 4 cy. jap bike with a 4 into 1 that are the same length but they don't...but for sure they don't sound like the usual type headers..!80* on a gm product is as simple as the 2 center cylinders on one side of the motor ending up in the collector for the other side of the motor, actually building a set that looks decent is a job for someone with a lot more talent than i will ever have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts