Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've talked about this for along time but hey...some things are just worth waiting for. I mean, we don't want to rush into these things, right? LOL...
So, I'm actually going to post some pics of the progress and see if I can make this thing happen. You VDrive guys are a tough crowd...kinda scary over here what with Morg and Guru always pickin on me, but I'm gonna sack up and join the crowd, so here goes. :|err
For those who don't know, its a '79 19' Spectra that started as a jet, but it's a four stringer hull with the factory cav plate reliefs, and IMO a great cantidate for a hot rod V Bottom V drive. Really a clean hull that I've been sitting on for years. I contracted John Miller (who lives about ten minutes from me) to do the galss work that was beyond my capabilities. John re-laminated the bottom and transom to fill the holes where the jet was. He didn't realize that by doing so, he was going to adopt a new boat into his family. Hi John!:)hand He's basically given me the use of his shop as I've needed which is a blessing, and stores my boat for nothing. Amazingly talented, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

So, here's some pics. Once the hole in the bottom and transom was filled...

...it was time to flip it and get started on the bottom which was no easy task. This thing weighs a ton!

Here's mappiing out the low spots in 1/16" countour lines...

...then laying fiberglass mat to fill the majority of the low spots. The mat was cut in layers to follow the countour lines, smallest first, then larger, over laying the smaller.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
I know I've talked about this for along time but hey...some things are just worth waiting for. I mean, we don't want to rush into these things, right? LOL...
So, I'm actually going to post some pics of the progress and see if I can make this thing happen. You VDrive guys are a tough crowd...kinda scary over here what with Morg and Guru always pickin on me, but I'm gonna sack up and join the crowd, so here goes. :|err
For those who don't know, its a '79 19' Spectra that started as a jet, but it's a four stringer hull with the factory cav plate reliefs, and IMO a great cantidate for a hot rod V Bottom V drive. Really a clean hull that I've been sitting on for years. I contracted John Miller (who lives about ten minutes from me) to do the galss work that was beyond my capabilities. John re-laminated the bottom and transom to fill the holes where the jet was. He didn't realize that by doing so, he was going to adopt a new boat into his family. Hi John!:)hand He's basically given me the use of his shop as I've needed which is a blessing, and stores my boat for nothing. Amazingly talented, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Gotta stock 19 v-drive Steel. Will be waiting for more pics....:)devil

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After that it was a matter of filling the rest of the low spots with "Kitty Hair" for the heavier places, and then just regular bondo for the rest. You can see my "flat board" is a piece of 2"x3"x 1/4" aluminum angle 6' long with sticky long bord sheets on it. I just use this as a long sanding block and get everything as flat as it can be. I concentrated on mainly the keel and out to the second strake, and about 6' forward. Outside that, the running surface isn't as critical at speed.

The last step for me is to put about a gallon of Poly Prime on the bottom and seal it as much as possible, with a little sanding and spot filling of pin holes between coats. Unfortunetely I didn't get any shots of that part.

· Banned
729 Posts
Make those center strakes 1" wider and all the way back to the transom. THEN it'll get out of the water and run. The way it is, the outer strakes will be wet at top speeds. Or the thing will be uncontrolable while flying on the shaft angle. Ask guys like "VDcruiser" about going fast on a round bottom without center strakes. Do it now Scott, while it's upside down ! Then you can also mount up a FLAT CENTER PLATE, from strake to strake without a delta pad.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Make those center strakes 1" wider and all the way back to the transom. THEN it'll get out of the water and run. The way it is, the outer strakes will be wet at top speeds. Or the thing will be uncontrolable while flying on the shaft angle. Ask guys like "VDcruiser" about going fast on a round bottom without center strakes. Do it now Scott, while it's upside down ! Then you can also mount up a FLAT CENTER PLATE, from strake to strake without a delta pad.
I agree with you

· LAID IN MEXICO
738 Posts

why is this taking you so long? its not like you have been busy the last few months!!! dont get to crazy yet, im not done with you yet! thanks again for all the hard work so far.

i know you have been overwhelmed with more than just my project lately, but you havent let up on mine. try resting for a week, then ill give you more work!!!

the spectra is going to be the chit when its done. i think you need to make it a tunnel!!!

· Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Scott, that is what I am doing to my 21 DiMarco. George Knows!

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, unfortunately this was a while back, and I found that out (from you George;)) after I was done with this and had it back on the trailer. Soooo....it's going back upside down and getting done right, hopefully in the next week or so. :)devil

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why is this taking you so long? its not like you have been busy the last few months!!! dont get to crazy yet, im not done with you yet! thanks again for all the hard work so far.

i know you have been overwhelmed with more than just my project lately, but you havent let up on mine. try resting for a week, then ill give you more work!!!

the spectra is going to be the chit when its done. i think you need to make it a tunnel!!!
LOL...no rest for me...now it's my turn.:D
Not a tunnel, but maybe a long deck....:)bulb

· Cantard
4,900 Posts
I completely agree and understand the concept. I just wish I had learned while it was still upside down.:)st:D
Atleast now I dont feel alone.:D Got mine done then was told "hey fill that hole...you dont use that anymore"

(B) better
(O) overturn
(A) another
(T) time

:)hand

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scott, that is what I am doing to my 21 DiMarco. George Knows!
Stevo, it was really great talking to you today. I appreciate the call and the insight. Looking forward to the progress on your project.
Thanks!:)devil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.