Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are rebuild parts still available for 1951 331 hemi's?

I found an old car today with one still in it complete down to the belts.
figured it would be worth picking up if I can find parts.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Are rebuild parts still available for 1951 331 hemi's?

I found an old car today with one still in it complete down to the belts.
figured it would be worth picking up if I can find parts.
It's worth more to the nostalgia guys than it is to you. If you can get it cheap pic it up and resell.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Neat little motors, emphasis on little. Due to the small size, and heavy weight, the power to weight ratio makes them a poor choice, unless you add a blower to it, then you can start realizing benefit. There are alot of parts available for them due to their history and nostalgia.

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
If it's a 1951, then it's a Chrysler (not a Dodge, Plymouth, or De Soto). They have the cast-in belhousing on the back of the block (1951-1953). Save that engine for the sake of hot rod history if you can, even if you flip it to an enthusiast that is more into it than you might be.

LO

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's a 1951, then it's a Chrysler (not a Dodge, Plymouth, or De Soto). They have the cast-in belhousing on the back of the block (1951-1953). Save that engine for the sake of hot rod history if you can, even if you flip it to an enthusiast that is more into it than you might be.

LO

yes its a chrysler, it's still in a new yorker and the data plate shows 51.

looks like it's 331 CI 180HP.

its parked next to this 1949 Chevy "El Camino" lol

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Alot of the old timers believed the 331 was the best head of the series.
The 1954-1955 331 heads are the popular ones; the 1951-1953 331 heads have smaller valves and different ports, etc.

The cast-in bellhousing in the early 331 block limits the applications and those that would be interested. It's a neat engine; it's not the same animal (hp potential-wise) as the 354's and 392's that came soon afterwards (1956-up). By the way, the block in the above picture is drilled to accept both the poly-angle and/or the hemi heads.

Paul

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I have a block or 2 and a pair of heads.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
One did pretty good in this years Engine Masters Competition:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...ates_and_results_sponsored_by_sam/index1.html

Nice looking engine, but still only 336 inches so at 1.5 hp per cu. in it would be 504 HP but they do weigh a ton. This engine finished 3rd in the competition.

What would you put the engine in ?

S CP

Good looking oil pan on that engine!!!

Paul,
Try Hot heads, we (Stefs) does a ton of work for them, good guys also. If you can't find the number I will get it for you.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good looking oil pan on that engine!!!

Paul,
Try Hot heads, we (Stefs) does a ton of work for them, good guys also. If you can't find the number I will get it for you.
I figured I better try and get it before it got crushed or something.
not sure I would ever use it. but was kind of surprised when I opened the hood and realized it was a hemi.

I'm waiting for the Rancher to return my call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts