Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my 1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti, about 19 foot, with a Hardin Marine 454 BBC with a Berkley 12jc i believe. It seats 6 to 8. I bought it for $500 from a friend who gave up on it with a half dead engine and pump. I rebuilt the motor and pump 2 years ago. Ive got 15 hrs on it now. Upholstery is cracked and needs carpet replaced But its in good shape otherwise. I know Shuster is out of business, can anyone offer me any information on this boat? . I've had it 3 years now and love it to death. It's a very good looking boat, with nice lines. Its very good on the water and corners like its on rails. We have lots of fun in it, speeding and doing tight turns and donuts, Im getting close to 60 mph out of it at only 3000 rpm tho. Not sure the guy who rebuilt the pump matched the impeller to the motor, about 350 hp. I'm pretty sure it has a mild cam in it. After rebuild I put a short Edelbrock high rise intake and an 870 Holley double pumper on it. Its my first boat and probably only boat, we love this machine. I don't think the motor is much into it's power band at 3000 rpm tho...?? Just looking for advise and insight about this beautiful machine. Are there any tricks that will get me more a little more speed, other then spending a thousand or 2 on the motor. It has a standard intake grate for the berkley, no scoop or loader grate. Ive never played with these before now, but I'm very good mechanically and have done all my own exterior work on the engine, new carb, setting up cooling lines, I set up the ignition, and just about everything else on the outside of the engine. Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it for more speed. Costs would be to high, enjoy it as it is.

Something seems off with tach or speed. I would expect 4500 to 5000 rpm to get close to 60 mph.

How is the take off? Do you jump on plane or is it slow out of the hole? Did you use GPS for speed?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rick, as you know that hull is wide and heavy and gives a great ride. With a BBC and a Berk as a foundation seeing 70 with the right mods should be a reasonable goal. Might be some hook in that bottom that should be addressed first. Me, I'd be happy with 60 in a boat that can haul a ton of friends.

You didn't say but a Place Diverter is a must and if you don't have one it should be the next thing you get for the boat. Save your money on a grate and get this instead, you don't need a aftermarket grate with that tub.

Here's a shot of the first one out of the molds back in the day on the Parker strip, me at the wheel a year or so before I got my drivers license. Dad was a rigger there and I worked there from the time I was a kid til Dick Schuster started Hawaiian boats in '74 and most of us followed him to that shop, he paid very well. For years we didn't own a boat, Schuster would just send something off the showroom floor with us to the river, it was great for us and great for him to get something new seen as there were dozens and dozens of models at Tahiti through it's first decade. Countless more after we left as Tahiti lived well into the 90's with 2 different owners.

That bottom was used on at least 5 different models that I can remember, maybe more.

While a different deck, the boat the top of the page and at the bottom right has the same bottom, it's the 19 LP. The center shot was from the inside of one of the buildings (where Competitive trailers has been for decades) and shows a Winters worth of work stacked up against the wall. Dick would try to keep as many guys working in the off season so when Spring hit things would already be ramped up. If a customer didn't want a boat off the floor of course he could order his with what ever he wanted done to it but the inventory sold like crazy. In '71 we made the move to the big shop off the 605 freeway in Cerritos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Engine rpm

Hi guy's thanks for the info, sounds like this boat is one to keep! It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho. Here's a link to a video I posted on youtube of us rompin around mission bay last week, my tach says 3000 and rarely gets above that, sounds like the motor is doing 3000, hmm maybe more? I had it wide open a lot of the time. What do you think. I have plans on getting a new tach anyway cause I dont like the style that's in it. What does a place diverter do for performance? We used GPS for the speed.

Thanks much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2jx8VLjkw

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I could be wrong but if you GPD's it at 60 and your tach is reading 3k it is most likely a bad tach. Just by the video it sounds like alot more than 3k..... IF you have a timing light that reads RPM hook it up and take it back out next time and I bet you will find that your motor is in the 4 to 4500 range. Just a guess though..

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I had a 72. What a great boat
Speed was about 65 on a good day
But it rode great and carried 6 people plus gear.
There's one in Florida and one in Washington that have big power that run well.
$2 grand wouldn't get you 5
Mph probably.
Enjoy it

·
Registered
851 Posts
It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho... What does a place diverter do for performance?
Place diverter, an adjustable nozzle, will keep the nose down out of the hole and free up the boat on top end, lets you trim according to your load and water conditions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's my 1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti, about 19 foot, with a Hardin Marine 454 BBC with a Berkley 12jc i believe. It seats 6 to 8. I bought it for $500 from a friend who gave up on it with a half dead engine and pump. I rebuilt the motor and pump 2 years ago. Ive got 15 hrs on it now. Upholstery is cracked and needs carpet replaced But its in good shape otherwise. I know Shuster is out of business, can anyone offer me any information on this boat? . I've had it 3 years now and love it to death. It's a very good looking boat, with nice lines. Its very good on the water and corners like its on rails. We have lots of fun in it, speeding and doing tight turns and donuts, Im getting close to 60 mph out of it at only 3000 rpm tho. Not sure the guy who rebuilt the pump matched the impeller to the motor, about 350 hp. I'm pretty sure it has a mild cam in it. After rebuild I put a short Edelbrock high rise intake and an 870 Holley double pumper on it. Its my first boat and probably only boat, we love this machine. I don't think the motor is much into it's power band at 3000 rpm tho...?? Just looking for advise and insight about this beautiful machine. Are there any tricks that will get me more a little more speed, other then spending a thousand or 2 on the motor. It has a standard intake grate for the berkley, no scoop or loader grate. Ive never played with these before now, but I'm very good mechanically and have done all my own exterior work on the engine, new carb, setting up cooling lines, I set up the ignition, and just about everything else on the outside of the engine. Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
That is some cool old stuff. Looks somewhat like a longer version of the '73 17' Sleekcraft Montery that I used to have. The windshield is identical.

Old Rigger has given you some really interesting history on it.

And I agree with River Dad: Your tach is hosed. No way you could do 60 mph at only 3000 rpm. That would be truly impressive.

Enjoy your float!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi guy's thanks for the info, sounds like this boat is one to keep! It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho. Here's a link to a video I posted on youtube of us rompin around mission bay last week, my tach says 3000 and rarely gets above that, sounds like the motor is doing 3000, hmm maybe more? I had it wide open a lot of the time. What do you think. I have plans on getting a new tach anyway cause I dont like the style that's in it. What does a place diverter do for performance? We used GPS for the speed.

Thanks much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2jx8VLjkw
I have this rpm gauge app on my phone that I used when I thought my tach was off. It turned out to be pretty close. It says 4400 rpm when you come in close which is also what it sounds like to me. Once again I would enjoy that boat as it is :partyguy:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enjoyment!

Lots of good advice, we love it as is,, taking it out again this Saturday. Fun times

·
Registered
851 Posts
... Looks somewhat like a longer version of the '73 17' Sleekcraft Montery that I used to have. The windshield is identical....
the little 16/17 foot Torino based decks that everyone and their brother built that were derived from the original Sidewinder deck all share the same windshield. This 19 (and the 18 footer which is a completely different deck and hull) that Tahiti and a few others built is wider and basically shares the same bubble shape as the others but are not interchangeable.

Guy in Az still makes them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mods and hook

Hey Old Rigger you mentioned possibly seeing 70 with the right mods..? Would that be the place diverter you mentioned? And what is hook in a boat... what do I look for to tell, Im taking her out again this Saturday

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey Old Rigger you mentioned possibly seeing 70 with the right mods..? Would that be the place diverter you mentioned? And what is hook in a boat... what do I look for to tell, Im taking her out again this Saturday

Thanks

Rick
Get on the ground at the rear of your boat and look at the bottom from the transom running forward, if there's any hook it will look like the bottom is bowing up, if there's rocker it will look the opposite, the bottom will look like a rocking chair runner...rocker, more than likely your boat will not have rocker. If you can see the hook with your naked eye then it should be fixed (to go fast) if you can't see it then get a long straight edge, 6 foot long, and check. If you have a little hook, 1/16-1/8, I wouldn't mess with it. With that big ol heavy tank it won't matter and even if you do remove that small amount of hook, which is a very labor intensive project (de-rig the boat, flip it over and attack the bottom) with 350 hp like you have the gains would be minimal. If the bottom is OK, then your efforts should be on the pump and engine mods. Search this forum for different combo, there's thousands of them, and see what's in your budget.

A place diverter will not add top end speed and I don't think the Place family as ever advertised that it does but some users have seen increases of up to 3 mph. I can't emphasize this enough, call them up and tell them what you have and get a diverter when you get the cash. It will change the handling and feel of your boat and, I know I'm repeating myself but it's the single greatest product ever developed for a jet (unless of course like me you're getting older and tired of fighting skin cancer then the bimini top could very well be the best thing going) It wasn't the first adjustable nozzle, Berkeley came out with their clunky jet-o-vator before, but the Place it the best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get on the ground at the rear of your boat and look at the bottom from the transom running forward, if there's any hook it will look like the bottom is bowing up, if there's rocker it will look the opposite, the bottom will look like a rocking chair runner...rocker, more than likely your boat will not have rocker. If you can see the hook with your naked eye then it should be fixed (to go fast) if you can't see it then get a long straight edge, 6 foot long, and check. If you have a little hook, 1/16-1/8, I wouldn't mess with it. With that big ol heavy tank it won't matter and even if you do remove that small amount of hook, which is a very labor intensive project (de-rig the boat, flip it over and attack the bottom) with 350 hp like you have the gains would be minimal. If the bottom is OK, then your efforts should be on the pump and engine mods. Search this forum for different combo, there's thousands of them, and see what's in your budget.

A place diverter will not add top end speed and I don't think the Place family as ever advertised that it does but some users have seen increases of up to 3 mph. I can't emphasize this enough, call them up and tell them what you have and get a diverter when you get the cash. It will change the handling and feel of your boat and, I know I'm repeating myself but it's the single greatest product ever developed for a jet (unless of course like me you're getting older and tired of fighting skin cancer then the bimini top could very well be the best thing going) It wasn't the first adjustable nozzle, Berkeley came out with their clunky jet-o-vator before, but the Place it the best.
Not sure if the same thing would apply to this hull, but I had a '76 Hondo T-deck, stock 460 and a Berkeley 12JG with a little wedge. Used to slide across the water like a car in the dirt. I put the diverter on and the effect was dramatic. Got the hull up out of the water faster, and when trimmed kept it there. The first time I made a turn at speed with the diverter still trimmed up, the boat spun and damn near sank. Be a little cautious to find out what the new handling characteristics of your boat are when you make this mod.
Have fun

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not sure if the same thing would apply to this hull, but I had a '76 Hondo T-deck, stock 460 and a Berkeley 12JG with a little wedge. Used to slide across the water like a car in the dirt. I put the diverter on and the effect was dramatic. Got the hull up out of the water faster, and when trimmed kept it there. The first time I made a turn at speed with the diverter still trimmed up, the boat spun and damn near sank. Be a little cautious to find out what the new handling characteristics of your boat are when you make this mod.
Have fun
You should never make a turn with the nozzle up in a jet no more than you'd try to make a turn in an I/O with the lower unit trimmed up all the way, an outboard trimmed out or turn in a v-drive with the plates up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone

Thanks Old Rigger for all your insight! I'll do that hull check and see what I got goin on. Thanks all you guy's for the great responses. I Appreciate that tach app that one of you did for me, thats totally cool, one of these day's I may even graduate to a smart phone! Im stuck in the dark ages with a flip phone pay as you go phone lol.... Now Im anxious to get a new TACH! We love our 1970 Shuster, love the smooth ride for sure! And there's nuthin like the sound of a big block! :)devil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts