Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, what do yall think of this boat? My father in law gave it to me last week and i dont know nada about boats, haha. It will be a fun project. It's a 16' 1972 Tahiti with the olds 455. As far as i know it's in great condition and runs solid. has a berkeley 12 JC-A pump. Not really looking to build a very fast boat, from what i understand this isnt the settup for it, but a all around fun boat. Needs some tune-up type work but nothing major for now. Anyway, just want to get to know everyone here and any information i can get would be greatly appreciated. As i start to tear stuff apart i'm sure i'll have more questions to ask. thanks for everyones time:)devil

Attachments

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Hello everyone, what do yall think of this boat? My father in law gave it to me last week and i dont know nada about boats, haha. It will be a fun project. It's a 16' 1972 Tahiti with the olds 455. As far as i know it's in great condition and runs solid. has a berkeley 12 JC-A pump. Not really looking to build a very fast boat, from what i understand this isnt the settup for it, but a all around fun boat. Needs some tune-up type work but nothing major for now. Anyway, just want to get to know everyone here and any information i can get would be greatly appreciated. As i start to tear stuff apart i'm sure i'll have more questions to ask. thanks for everyones time:)devil
Looks like a pretty good little boat. You called it a "project", so I must ask. What are your plans for it? Are you going to keep the 455?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking to clean it up some. Father in law wasnt to mechanically savvy so there are some things that are jerry rigged. To keep it going this season i'll just replace water lines, rebuild the holley carb, plugs, wires that kind of stuff. But this winter i want to pull some stuff off to get chromed and powder coated and rebuild the jet pump. So far my plans are to keep the same motor untill it blows up. What's your opinion on the olds 455? Eventually get it painted a different color and make the interior a little more eye friendly.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Just looking to clean it up some. Father in law wasnt to mechanically savvy so there are some things that are jerry rigged. To keep it going this season i'll just replace water lines, rebuild the holley carb, plugs, wires that kind of stuff. But this winter i want to pull some stuff off to get chromed and powder coated and rebuild the jet pump. So far my plans are to keep the same motor untill it blows up. What's your opinion on the olds 455? Eventually get it painted a different color and make the interior a little more eye friendly.
I've never owned an olds, so I don't know anything about them by experience. But, I've heard too many horror stories about them to be a big fan. But, I've also heard a lot of good things about them too, mostly related to how reliable they are, after all the usual oiling problems are fixed of course.

Good luck.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the boat. If you're only gonna use it as a family cruiser/ski boat, the Olds is just fine. The problem with the Olds is when you try to spin them up above 5,000 RPMs. They were never designed as a high RPM engine and they need all kinds of oiling mods to be able to withstand high RPM duty. So if you plan on wanting any kind of top speed out of it, costwise Chevy is the way to go. Part sources are abundant, making them cheap, plus they're some of the easiest motors to build.

If there's 1 ignition upgrade that should be done...INVEST IN A REV LIMITER!!! I cannot stress this enough. If the pump unloads on you without a limiter you will over rev the engine and you can kiss it goodbye. A friend of mine a few weekends ago was in some rough water, and his pump unloaded and the RPM shot past 7,000 and he spun a bearing. Upon trying to limp it back at 1,500 RPM, the rod was ripped from the piston and the rod cap let go. The crank threw the rod right into the adjacent cylinder, trashing the block...all because he didn't have a limiter on it. I've had the pump unload on me at speed before and thank God I had installed a rev limiter.

Good call on rebuilding the pump BTW. Lots of these boats have 30+ year old pumps in them that have never been gone through. By rebuilding the pump you tighten up the clearances around the impeller (pretty much all of us set them up much tighter than stock) which makes the pump much more efficient. This will improve holeshot greatly, which will help you be able to pull skiiers up a lot better without the pump slipping.

Good luck on your quest.

·
688 Posts
It's a desease this thing we call boating. it will consume you.:D
I had an olds in a v-drive and it was ok but plan ahead and buy a 454.
keep the olds 4500 and under and it will last forever.
Welcome to the boards:D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the boat. If you're only gonna use it as a family cruiser/ski boat, the Olds is just fine. The problem with the Olds is when you try to spin them up above 5,000 RPMs. They were never designed as a high RPM engine and they need all kinds of oiling mods to be able to withstand high RPM duty. So if you plan on wanting any kind of top speed out of it, costwise Chevy is the way to go. Part sources are abundant, making them cheap, plus they're some of the easiest motors to build.

If there's 1 ignition upgrade that should be done...INVEST IN A REV LIMITER!!! I cannot stress this enough. If the pump unloads on you without a limiter you will over rev the engine and you can kiss it goodbye. A friend of mine a few weekends ago was in some rough water, and his pump unloaded and the RPM shot past 7,000 and he spun a bearing. Upon trying to limp it back at 1,500 RPM, the rod was ripped from the piston and the rod cap let go. The crank threw the rod right into the adjacent cylinder, trashing the block...all because he didn't have a limiter on it. I've had the pump unload on me at speed before and thank God I had installed a rev limiter.

Good call on rebuilding the pump BTW. Lots of these boats have 30+ year old pumps in them that have never been gone through. By rebuilding the pump you tighten up the clearances around the impeller (pretty much all of us set them up much tighter than stock) which makes the pump much more efficient. This will improve holeshot greatly, which will help you be able to pull skiiers up a lot better without the pump slipping.

Good luck on your quest.
Yes, very good advice here. Just think of a rev limiter as cheap insurance for your motor. I bought one for mine because if I blow my motor up, then I'm done for quite awhile because I don't have the money to build a new one.

Here is a link to the one that I bought and installed on my boat. You'll have to buy pills for it for the lower rpm range because it only comes with 6000, 7000, and 8000 rpm pills.
MSD REV LIMITER

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Welcome to the boards and the world of jet boats Thats the very boat that got me interested many years ago ,fun time great memories We've restored (and partially retsored) a couple over the years Good luck with the project !! Tom

·
310 Posts
Welcome to the boards!! There's some great advice here, if it wasn't for some of these guys I would have been screwed when I re-rigged my boat. Check out past forums by searching for keywords and you'll learn from the mistakes of others. Cool looking little boat too. Good luck!! :)hand

·
Registered
851 Posts
In stock form, you can't beat the Olds/berk combo for a nice family ski boat. Gobs of tourque and reliable as a rock. We sold a ton of them at Tahiti, more than the BBC and BBF combined in the early 70s. Leave it stock and enjoy it. The poor bastard has lived there for 36 years doing it's job, why mess with a good thing? :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the opinions everyone!!

I'm not quite sure if all the oil mods have been done to the motor. Talking with my father in law he didnt know anything about it, but he did say that he never remembers revving past 4500 so thats a good thing. But it sounds like a rev limiter is definately a great idea. Should it be set at 5000 or 5500? what do yall think. Did these 455 olds come stock with the points style distributor?

Jetboatperformance that pic of your boat is exactly what i'm thinkin for my boat, just a clean solid great looking little boat is what i'm after.thx for sharing.

Toolbox, are you refering to the clean look of the indoor/outdoor carpet? haha yeah that wont last long but he didnt do a bad job. it'll work for now.

Old rigger, i agree with you. Would you happen to know what model this is? I've heard your the tahiti guru. i cant find it anywhere on the boat. there is a small nameplate on the passenger side thats kindof faded which states the weight, capacity etc. Also says molding, assembly, and rigging what do these refer to?

Thanks again for all the great knowledge!!! Hope to hear from everyone soon!!:)devil

·
Registered
851 Posts
Old rigger, i agree with you. Would you happen to know what model this is? i cant find it anywhere on the boat. there is a small nameplate on the passenger side thats kind of faded which states the weight, capacity etc. Also says molding, assembly, and rigging what do these refer to?
The early 16 Tahiti's were called 'Westerners'. 'Bout the time Bell Inc bought the company, 1971 if memory serves me correct and it rarely does but it was either '71 or '72, the name was changed to 'Tiger Shark'.
The little tag will show who assembled the boat, trimmed it as well as rigged it. Each one would signed, or should have signed his intinals or whatever mark he used inthe little space next to his title. If you get the chance I'd sure like to see a close up picture of that tag.

Take the money you'd spend for a rev-limiter (your boat has one on it, it's called a berkeley jet and with a stock A impeller and a stock or warm Olds, that's all you'll ever need) and go buy a few tanks of gas. Then go learn how your boat handles in all kinds of water and learn how to read the water that's ahead of you. Unless your reaction time is slower than drying paint, running your boat in the rough stuff and over reving that engine should not be an issue. ;)

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Take the money you'd spend for a rev-limiter and go buy a few tanks of gas. Then go learn how your boat handles in all kinds of water and learn how to read the water that's ahead of you. Unless your reaction time is slower than drying paint, running your boat in the rough stuff and over reving that engine should not be an issue. ;)
I'll probably get flamed for this, but there is a such thing as human error. Especially with someone who is new to handling these type of boats. Humans arent perfect and we make mistakes all the time, and all it takes is a one time over rev condition and kiss your motor goodbye. I'd much rather have piece of mind knowing I have the limiter "just in case". You never can be too careful.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Why would you get flamed for expressing your opinion? You're certainly entitled to yours as much as the next guy. I just happen to not agree with you in this case, that's all. :)

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
My Olds kinda over rev'd last year. Went from 5200 to well pst 7000. Hasnt missed a beat yet.
Doesn't mean that it won't. There's always the possibility of.

·
Registered
288 Posts
how did they run all those boats for all thoes years with out a rev limiter?
its all hype and you should know the water your running if its rough know that you have to feather the peddel, I'm with Old Rigger on this one!!
DONT BELIVE THE HYPE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts