Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a tip Thursday night that our old family boat I spent my weekends on as a kid was sitting on a farm in northern Arizona and it needed a new home. The owner had purchased it from my Dad in the early 90s and other than a start at some upholstery, not done anything to it since. He said the tires were either flat or missing, so I grabbed the old ones off my race boat trailer I had luckily stored and headed out before dawn.

This is one of the last photos I had of the boat from around 1984.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is rough to say the least, but fortunately it was covered.. Gel coat is blistered in a number of areas but otherwise the hull seems structurally in really good condition! The is a HEAVY hull (about 6,000 pounds on the trailer fully loaded) so I think that helped. Back in the 70s and early 80s Dad worked for Utility Trailer, so the floorboards were redone out of the same white fiberglassed sandwich panels they used on their big rig box trailers....those are still good as new!

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loaded up and headed home! I'll keep updating post for anyone interested...going to be a long winter, but have plans for a total restore... Dad passed away about 8 years ago, so this is in many ways a tribute to him and a way to stay close. I have some great memories on this boat from Havasu/Parker to Shasta and even Long Beach as a kid... Looking forward to starting some new ones!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to see another old Hallett being saved. Not much info out on the old cruisers that were built back in 70's. I have a 21' cruiser with a very similar bottom but not with the cabin deck, is this a 21' or 23'? Interested to see how it comes out.

·
I do all my own stunts.
1,599 Posts
awesome Mike! I have the old flat bottom that my dad/grandparents/great grandparents all ran around in the 60s. cool to have for the memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the interior gutted today (it is still a mess!) will vaccum all the crap and disintegrated stuff this weekend...

The gas tanks in the floor are a little rusted out in some areas so don't know if I can salvage

One thing that is pretty cool are the electric linear actuators that control each side's cavitation plates independently...similar to today's trim tabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are examples of the gel coat issues. I am NO expert with glass but understand these can be sanded out? Lighting Furniture Automotive exterior Table Ceiling Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool story, I'll be watching your restoration.

One of the all time best pictures on this site.
Thanks old rigger. I used to get to drive in the morning sometimes (impatient little kid!) but my dad would always make sure if I did, my sister got to drive headed back!

Musical instrument Headgear Cap Wind instrument

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Glad to see another old Hallett being saved. Not much info out on the old cruisers that were built back in 70's. I have a 21' cruiser with a very similar bottom but not with the cabin deck, is this a 21' or 23'? Interested to see how it comes out.
Original title says "23'-6". We always called it a 24, but I have not put a tape to it. Now you've got me curious! Hallett claims they made just over 400 of these hulls. Dad made another almost identical one for his best friend Chuck Wilson of Fresno, that was yellow (originally dark tan gel coat) if any one knows it's whereabouts??, but the only other one I've ever seen was in Havasu owned by cocoloco on these boards that was just parted out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Original title says "23'-6". We always called it a 24, but I have not put a tape to it. Now you've got me curious! Hallett claims they made just over 400 of these hulls. Dad made another almost identical one for his best friend Chuck Wilson of Fresno, that was yellow (originally dark tan gel coat) if any one knows it's whereabouts??, but the only other one I've ever seen was in Havasu owned by cocoloco on these boards that was just parted out.
I've always wondered what the production volumes were on my 21' and how many other models were built around that time. Seems like the larger cruisers were not as common with Hallett at that time since they rarely pop up or are mentioned. I know as I've been restoring mine that it was built like it was going to war, it will need some power to make it go. I do recall the one for sale in Havasu a while back, I actually tried to grab some parts from it that mine was missing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up the engine parts today that had been sold with the boat and stored in an enclosed trailer the last 20 years.... Turned out to be an LS6 crate from the early 80s! :))THumbsUp... Rec port heads (the 188s), 4 bolt block. Holley carb, performer manifold, old set of original Mickey Thompson valve covers...

block had had been bored .60 over and had engine work done/in a baggie. Still looked good

going to have to go through it all, but feel like it is a good start to this "retro rebuild"...

Getting the the shop cleaned up/cleared out to make room for the boat and begin the glass work...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pump is off to Bergeron!

Finally got the shop cleared out and the boat inside this weekend. Started working on the glass. Tonight I yanked the pump out. Off to Bergeron tomorrow for a blueprint/total rebuild! Hasn't had sh$t done to it since it was new 44 years ago! I imagine the wear ring (along with everything else) is a little toast...especially from all those saturdays Dad spent in the driveway annoying the neighbors "testing" the throttle response!:)devil

Gonna get everything else off and the. tackle the bilge! Vehicle Water transportation Speedboat Boat Bass boat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 169 Posts