Performance Boats Forum banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
great job on the helm mike.....dig the gages.........i cant even cut and put base boards in my house...lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Helm progress

Put two coats of epoxy resin sealer down a couple days ago... wet sanded with 400 then 800, then followed up today with a couple coats of PPG clear... will let it cure then lay on a few more coats, wet sand, buff and polish....then start putting the gauges and everything in!
Furniture Table Wood Stool Antique Table Furniture Wood Wood stain Antique

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put two coats of epoxy resin sealer down a couple days ago... wet sanded with 400 then 800, then followed up today with a couple coats of PPG clear... will let it cure then lay on a few more coats, wet sand, buff and polish....then start putting the gauges and everything in!
View attachment 1001370 View attachment 1001378
Mike this is turning out better and better every time I check in on this thread. Your dad is digging it,no doubt

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
helm progress

Thanks Chris! Today I got the shifter put back together. Bergeron was thankfully able to rebuild the original shifter (the gearing had gotten all rusted out) and re-chrome it.. you don’t see these anymore which I think is a shame. Especially on a jet they are so smooth and easy to use.. controlling both the throttle and forward reverse in one fluid motion...a lot of what makes this big cruiser so easy to drive!

View attachment 1001810

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
helm ready for install

Electronics Wheel Table Auto part Technology Electronics Technology Auto part
Got the helm finished and mocked up this morning. Lucky to find Grant still made the original "old school" steering wheel we had (not the later model 4 spoke changed out in the 80s). I sanded it down and stained it to match the helm and then shot it with a couple coats of clear. The actual Morse steering and black plastic cover though are still the original 45 years old ones!... Meguiar's headlight cleaner to the rescue again on the cover and a little elbow grease and they are as good as new!
Wood
Found a billet trim tab control from Dana for the cav plates to replace the toggle switches we had. Mike (Rex Marine) was a huge help furnishing the gauges I wanted and answering all my email questions. Because this time around I'm running fuel gauges, I had to ditch two of the gauges dad ran (fuel press and hour meter) as I wanted to keep the same "look" on the helm. Figured I could always gauge the carb line if necessary for the fuel.
Wood Antique Watch Table Fashion accessory Vehicle Wood Car

Second change was in lieu of a ammeter that was on dad's helm, I took the advice of my father in law (retired electrical engineer) and instead opted for a digital battery monitor system I put where dad used to run the hour meter. This thing not only monitors the voltage of both the house and starting battery at the same time, but will also give you vitals on the house battery like real-time amp usage, time remaining, and display a bar scale and percentage read out of battery life remaining, while storing a host of historical data for reference later and programmable low voltage alarms....the built in bluetooth will also sync with an app on your phone to display all this info to one screen, so you can even use it to monitor the charging on the batteries while it is on the trailer in the garage. I know, WAY to techy for a weekend boat, but I'm a geek.

·
Village Idiot
3,564 Posts
Mike, I am not a jet boat guy, but it sure is fun seeing all the little details that you are putting into this thing.

Paul

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
the console looks very nice. For years my hobby has been wood work so I can appreciate quality work. Merry Christmas.
George Schock
George! What an honor to have you chime in! Thanks for the message and I hope all is well with you and Vicki! You probably remember the boat as it used to be back when Chris and I were kids...probably even helped Dad a few times! I’d love for you to see it in person when I’m done. Hope you are all having a good new year! The love for boating you/dad/your generation instilled in all of us is what keeps the fun going!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Your boat reminds me of the 28' Hawaiian daycruiser my parents had when I was growing up. Went everywhere with that boat. Catalina Island fishing, Lake Nacimiento, Lake Pyramid, Lake Powell, and of course "The River". It was yellow with orange graphics along with gold metal flake and root beer brown striping. Very cool story and I'm amazed at how beautiful it's turning out. Can't wait to see it when finished.Samps. I don't know if you've thought of it or are open to it, but have you considered doing the name in gold leaf? I think it would look great on this boat.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
update

Mike, we could use an update, what’s new with this build?
Sorry...been literally swamped at work and had to back-burner for a bit..... BUT some good news:

1. The carpenter I bought the boat from reached out to me....he had protected and stored the original teak swimstep Dad made in the back of his shop...the first thing he did when he brought it home 25 years ago! We're going to sand/refinish it and reinstall!

2. While I got lucky with the helm, woodworking is not my strong suit and he is going to help me make the cabinets for the cabin, which we are designing now...port side will have a sink, stereo/amp and room for incidentals. On the Starboard side where we used to have one of those vertical coleman ice chest "refrigerators", I bought a dometic 12V LED frig like they have in the big rigs. We'll still have ice chests I'm sure for weekend runs, but the frig might be a painless way to have a cold one on a quick evening trip if I dont want to stop and get ice, etc... I'll be running two batteries this time (House/start) so should be fine.

3. Bergeron is sourcing my morse cables and components I was missing so I can button up the controls hopefully in a week or so.

4. Ordered the grey carpet for the interior so I can start doing the floorboards and seat bases. (the upholstery shop will do the rest). That should be here in about a week.

Still on track for completion before summer hopefully!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
Cabin fever

Got suited up and tackled the cabin this weekend... 45 years of orange shag carpeting, dust, glue (with god knows what in it) and crap sanded down to pure fiberglass ready for new carpet and upholstery! When I got done, the suit, the vacuum cleaner and shop were all orange!
Personal protective equipment Head Headgear Outerwear Mask View attachment 1018993

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Rebuilt the seat bases and recarpeted as well. Installed speakers (as well as a subwoofer this time around) and also the fire extinguisher bracket (extinguisher itself is being painted pearl tangelo to match boat)... seats themselves are at upholstery shop!
Audio equipment Bumper Loudspeaker Automotive exterior Subwoofer Audio equipment Subwoofer Loudspeaker Electronic device Wood

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
Swimstep

I received the original swimstep dad made back in 1980 from the guy I got the boat from (he had thankfully stored it!)

after some elbow grease and sanding, re-oiled it and it turned out bitchen! All in all, a productive weekend! Back to the grind tomorrow!

Bench Table Wood Furniture Outdoor bench Table Bench Furniture Outdoor table Outdoor bench

·
Registered
3 Posts
most excellent build

az_mike, I'm mostly an engine guy, so that oil filter setup is interesting to me. I can't read the brand name in the pics. I even put on my glasses! :)

does it have 3/4" NPT fittings?

I'm in NW PHX/Glendale near the 101 @ 59th Av. If you're anywhere in W or NW valley I'd be willing to show up for the initial fire-up if you would like to have a heavily experienced engine guy handy. Best move you've made is installing that roller cam setup IMO.

Is that a new carb or recycled from previous?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
az_mike, I'm mostly an engine guy, so that oil filter setup is interesting to me. I can't read the brand name in the pics. I even put on my glasses! :)

does it have 3/4" NPT fittings?

I'm in NW PHX/Glendale near the 101 @ 59th Av. If you're anywhere in W or NW valley I'd be willing to show up for the initial fire-up if you would like to have a heavily experienced engine guy handy. Best move you've made is installing that roller cam setup IMO.

Is that a new carb or recycled from previous?

The filter is made by "clear view filtration", aka "billet connection" (google). It has 12AN orb fittings....overkill for my use, but shouldnt hurt either?? It was used by a few guys I raced with and they loved them. Just extra insurance for me with my hearing loss. The carb is a modified 830 built by John Avery of Engine Dynamics in Baldwin Park, CA that I ran on my circle boat. Mainly a placeholder for now. An 800 is probably closer to what I need but the 830 will at least confirm it runs, and is FREE.... Appreciate the offer! May take you up on it!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looks great, The work never seems to stop.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts