Performance Boats Forum banner
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Workin’ away!

Looks great, The work never seems to stop.
I’d agree!...

swimstep on the boat
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Transport Auto part Vehicle Transport Bumper Automotive exterior Car

Got my battery switch today along with the automatic charging relay (combines house/start when engine is running and separates when off). Think I’m going to repurpose the old bracket dad used for the battery switch and fuel tank selector. Just got to drill the 3-3/4” hole to flush mount the switch, and then use the “old” on:eek:ff batt switch to kill ALL power for storage (otherwise stereo memory and the Victron battery monitor will remain hot). Then polish up the bracket and send off for a clear anodize..
Product Electronics Technology Electronic device

While the navigation lights cleaned up with the headlight cleaner, the old Wilcox Critterden anchor light was clouded and scratched beyond belief. Sanded it down with 800-2000 and polished it up with 3m rubbing compound. Installed an LED bulb and good as new!

Hand Finger Glass Lens Sphere Hand Finger Thumb Lacrosse ball Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive fog light Auto part Bumper

Lastly... installed an on board battery charger under the seat. I liked how this will charge both batteries independently (one can be trickle while the other is full blast). With the remote plug receptacle, all I need is an extension cord and a power source wherever I may be and it is charging away!

Wood Hardwood Plywood Technology Floor

Oh... and carpet on one of the floorboards! Seats should be done in a week or two!
Floor Roof Flooring

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Upholstery progress

Stopped by the Palacio's today and inspected the progress. Kept it old school with a slightly off-white "oyster" (to match the platinum pearl white on the boat) in real tuck and roll (no pre-pleated stuff here!) so I could get a tighter 1" tuck like Dad had.... the real stuff feels less "deflated" to me too... It's going to get orange piping to match the boat stripe. The seat bases are getting rebuilt too so it will be a few weeks still til they are done.
Vehicle Car Floor Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Furniture Chair

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow man like I said before you are doing a fantastic job . The way you keep your old man in mind with all the decisions you make is awesome .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stopped by the Palacio's today and inspected the progress. Kept it old school with a slightly off-white "oyster" (to match the platinum pearl white on the boat) in real tuck and roll (no pre-pleated stuff here!) so I could get a tighter 1" tuck like Dad had.... the real stuff feels less "deflated" to me too... It's going to get orange piping to match the boat stripe. The seat bases are getting rebuilt too so it will be a few weeks still til they are done.
View attachment 1020242 View attachment 1020250
Your getting close to a showpiece Mike, it’s been fun seeing and reading about the progress.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
A new lease on life deserves a new name

I’m probably going to get thrown shade for this, but after a lot of thought and a great talk with my sister, (especially when mom revealed the original “the great pumpkin” name didn’t really have any significant origin other than the “pump” reference), we decided this second chance at life for the boat should be marked by a name that reflected what it means to US.... full of great memories, stories and a legacy of the past that mean more than the boat itself....my fiancé Kim thought up the winner....hope you guys agree

Motor vehicle Vehicle Transport Trailer Asphalt

Changing the name doesn’t mean erasing history though....for those in the know, a little graphic that’ll forever remember ...after all, for us in the family, it will always be “the pumpkin”.
Font Logo Graphics

Tony’s Pinstriping (astripe.com) also did the AZ numbers (I got to keep the original number!!)
Water transportation Vehicle Speedboat Boat Plant community

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Upholstery progress

Driver's seat stitched , ready for new plywood frame and foam. Seat cushions will be done next week. It is taking awhile, but this is a busy shop and they are doing really good work so no complaints.
Furniture Chair Vehicle Car

Added a billet drink holder this time around on the couch. Was able to salvage the original plywood back to the couch, the seat base has all been redone though.. At first the plywood looked a little funny to me, then it dawned on me...1970's lumber was a lot tighter grain than today's stuff....kind of sad.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car Furniture Product Chair Outdoor furniture Bench Product Chair Furniture Table Folding chair

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
looking awsome mike.............................:)hand

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
I have always loved Orange and white on boats, the interior is classic and very cool. Can't wait to see this floating!
Thanks. I was hoping to get this on the water by mid summer but there is just still so much to do... glad to be busy at work again but it is hot as hell too so progress has slowed a bit..

Happy Father’s Day Dad! I got the doghouse for the motor made today out of mahogany plywood and 8/4 poplar to replace the junk one from 45 years ago. Still have to sand it all and then I’m going to stain and clear the interior to match the transom...carpet exterior

Table Wood Furniture Plywood Desk

Installed some clear anodized billet hood hinges intended for a 65 mustang as they were the most compact so I don’t have to stand with one arm holding up the lid. They have little stainless gas struts (not installed yet) that should make it operate like butter....Still have to make the “hood”...
Vehicle Trailer Wood Table Roof Table Furniture Wood Games Rectangle

Also got Dad’s old fuel selector bracket sanded down and polished and cut and repurposed for the new battery switches. Ready to send off to clear anodize.
Table Coffee table Furniture Wood Wheel
Lastly... in response to concerns about my filter bracket breaking, I’ve been looking for a clean way to stiffen it up. Came across some billet battery box brackets I had laying around and after a little grinding and welding, found them a new home. Hopefully this will do the job. If not, I’ll just make a whole new one the way I should have in the beginning.. just gotta make a few adjustments and send off to clear anodize
Finger Hand Metal Tie Fashion accessory

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow, you do amazing work! I never thought of car hinges, they look great. Did you get struts for fiberglass hood or steel hood?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Wow, you do amazing work! I never thought of car hinges, they look great. Did you get struts for fiberglass hood or steel hood?
The hinges I bought came with struts for a steel hood, but Fesler is here in town and have told me that they have a bunch of different ones if I need to swap out. I’ll report back on how stiff they are once I get it put together.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Test fitting in the boat and making final adjustments/cuts
Kind of bummed it covers up a lot of the engine detailing I did, but as Dad used to preach whenever I was tempted to cut corners where it wouldn’t be seen....”but YOU know it is there!”

Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome find and even better with the history behind it. Hope it all goes well as your time on it surpasses your expectations and it brings years of fun to you as well and you have some peace within!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
After a long hiatus.....

Had a bunch of biz and personal stuff this past year (all good) that caused the boat to go on hold... glad to be back in the saddle! Goal is to get this thing on the water around the 4th of July. Finished the plumbing today!

Attachments

·
Village Idiot
3,564 Posts
After a long hiatus.....

Had a bunch of biz and personal stuff this past year (all good) that caused the boat to go on hold... glad to be back in the saddle! Goal is to get this thing on the water around the 4th of July. Finished the plumbing today!
Glad to hear that life is good Mike. It looks like things are coming together nicely.

Paul

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
cant wait to see pics of it on the water.........

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Hooking up controls

Hooked up controls today (throttle, F/R cable and steering). This pic shows the billet tiller arm Bergeron made for me back when they rebuilt the jet. Makes me smile every time I walk around the back of the boat. Phil Bergeron was truly a "Legend", and I feel incredibly fortunate to have his hand on this boat rebuild. His knowledge of the old original parts and respect for my wanting to keep and rebuild them made this project possible. He was a great teacher as well. Brian and the rest of the team at Bergeron already carry on that "extra mile" legacy every day with their superb craftsmanship, knowledge and customer service, and I'm sure will remain on top for many years to come.
RIP Phil, you are missed.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 169 Posts