Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this 1977 Riviera 19' V-Drive hull with all the running gear minus the motor. Was used as a Ski Race Boat in it's previous life in Arizona. Will be restoring the hull and interior and looking for a BBC to put in it. Will also restore the trailer. Plan to race this boat in Nostalgia Endurance and use as a lake cruiser. Will be posting pics during the rebuild. Hope to have it ready in time for the Parker 300. - Rigger

Attachments

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
That will be a great boat for the Enduro! You will be able to take some passengers with ya:yes: Just charge em a couple a hundred bucks each to cover your gas...:wink2: Ya sure have a better starting point that I did with mine. lol

Steve

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nostalgic Riviera

Sandracer sent me some pics of the boat back in it's prime. His dad had this boat when new and he learned to ski behind it. It had a 427 BBC, 13.5-1 compression with a tunnel ram and (2) 660 Hollys at that time. One thing about this hull design is that they had a bad rep for going over in the turns, Definitely will need to drive this Gull Wing Semi V bottom different then I did my flatbottom.

Attachments

·
LAID IN MEXICO
750 Posts
turns

Sandracer sent me some pics of the boat back in it's prime. His dad had this boat in the early 80's and he learned to ski behind it. It had a 427 BBC, 13.5-1 compression with a tunnel ram and (2) 660 Hollys at that time. One thing about this hull design is that they had a bad rep for going over in the turns, Definitely will need to drive this Gull Wing Semi V bottom different then I did my flatbottom.
i know a guy that wrecked two of them up in turns. he gave up the roundy round and went to ski racing:D

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
77 Riviera 19' V-Drive Restoration

Yep, this is the major feedback I am getting about this hull design. Since I plan to use it for both lake skiing & occasional racing, and being aware of it's design flaw, I will drive it with caution at higher speeds and take the corners wide. My philosophy in racing is to have fun and not push the envelope on what the boat is capable of. 1) Get to the ramp on time 2) Make sure the boat starts 3) Finish the race safely.

i know a guy that wrecked two of them up in turns. he gave up the roundy round and went to ski racing:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Next time you are taking pictures, I would like to see the bottom better. We are going to resto A 77 Riviera as well. It doesn't have the same deck as yours, that's why I am curious to see the bottom. Just going to be a lake boat.

BTW looks like a great boat you have there ! Have fun with it.

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'77 Riviera V-Drive Hull Bottom Pics

Double A'

Thanks for the encouragement. Here are some pics of the bottom of the hull, these were from the seller. I'll get some better ones and post them later. Yeah, we plan to use the boat mostly for lake fun, but will ocassionally race it in the 80 MPH Nostalgia Class. It is a Gull Wing Semi V design, everyone is telling me to watch it in the corners, they are prone to turn over. Note to self: take it wide.

Rigger

Attachments

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What happened to the Nordic?

Hey GN7,
Enjoyed watching you run at Long Beach at the Sprint Nationals last weekend. Nice showing:thumb:

Yeah, sold the Nordic to a guy in Az. I didn't have the time or $$$ to get that boat in proper shape. This one is closer to turn key, with some minor hull repairs and it just needs a motor. The hardware is all in good order. - Rigger

In thought you gave up on the Nordic V bottom because of time restraints, and now your restoring this. So what happened to the Nordic? Did you sell it?

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'77 Nordic Hull Design

I'm told it is due to the bottom design with the flare at the bow and shape going into the chine mid to back. Corning is brutal at higher speeds. Nice ride in the straights though. I was told to drive it like the GN drivers do, going high into the corners, then turn and line out past the pin. Will be a lot different than driving my flattie.

I always liked the look of these hulls. What made them roll over compared to other boats?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Double A'

Thanks for the encouragement. Here are some pics of the bottom of the hull, these were from the seller. I'll get some better ones and post them later. Yeah, we plan to use the boat mostly for lake fun, but will ocassionally race it in the 80 MPH Nostalgia Class. It is a Gull Wing Semi V design, everyone is telling me to watch it in the corners, they are prone to turn over. Note to self: take it wide.

Rigger
Those are great pictures. I can definitely see the gull wing in the bottom. Should be great in the straights. It appears mine is just a standard type bottom, but it does have the chines similar to yours. Thanks.

So is that gel coat on there? Looks like it could be brought back to life with some sanding and buffing? I like the boat. Nice hardware in there as well. What engine is going in? Sorry if I missed that.

Looking forward to see more !

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
1977 Riviera V-Drive Restoration

Yep, Gel Coat on the hull. It is buffing out nicely. I am looking for a BBC to put in it. I want one set up with right hand rotation, driving off the non-flywheel end for circle racing.

Those are great pictures. I can definitely see the gull wing in the bottom. Should be great in the straights. It appears mine is just a standard type bottom, but it does have the chines similar to yours. Thanks.

So is that gel coat on there? Looks like it could be brought back to life with some sanding and buffing? I like the boat. Nice hardware in there as well. What engine is going in? Sorry if I missed that.

Looking forward to see more !

·
Future GN Racer!
2,216 Posts
Nice work Rigger, dang I like the looks of this hull....:)devil So will you be running the Nostalgia Endurance class next year? My boat is getting the fiberglass and gel work done as we speek, then it goes to Sammons in November for rigging. My first Nostalgia Endurance race SHOULD be at Parker in April. Will you be racing next season too???? It would be great to have yet another boat to run in that very slim class. Again, great looking boat.

Lock

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nostagia Endurance Class

Hey There Lock,

Yes I will be running in the Nostalgia Endurance Class next year and defiintely plan to be at Parker in April. I really liked racing there at Blue Water with my Nostalgia Flattie. Stay in touch....

Rigger

Nice work Rigger, dang I like the looks of this hull....:)devil So will you be running the Nostalgia Endurance class next year? My boat is getting the fiberglass and gel work done as we speek, then it goes to Sammons in November for rigging. My first Nostalgia Endurance race SHOULD be at Parker in April. Will you be racing next season too???? It would be great to have yet another boat to run in that very slim class. Again, great looking boat.

Lock

·
Registered
391 Posts
Any progress lately? Lets see it all buffed up and ready for a engine drop :stir::|err

...if you're like me, life's got you pretty busy outside of boats

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Double A - Yep, life is very busy outside of boats, but I'm making some progress in spite of the time & $$$ issues. I was going to strip all the hardware from the hull and have the hull completely re-gelcoated in the original colors due to the gelcoat damage where a previous owner (not the guy I bought it from) used a grinding wheel to remove the racing numbers, registration numbers and boat name on transom (go figure!!). However I can't afford that cost at this time so I am repairing the damaged areas on my own (the hull has some other areas with previous "bondo" repairs already). I have been able to color match the gelcoat and will refinish the hull in those areas only at this time so I can get this thing wet. Plus I plan to go back on with some graphics in the refinished areas as well so that will help. I am keeping the original Ski Racing Number D/B 103 and the boat will be named "Where's Dad" which one of my daughters came up with. Pretty fitting as when I am MIA it is usually because I am working on one of my boats, yep my wife is a boat widow. Getting the seats redone & looking for a BBC to drop in. Was hoping to have this thing ready for the Parker 300 in October but won't make it. Looking at a 2012 debut with the boat. Here's some current pics of the boat -Rigger

Any progress lately? Lets see it all buffed up and ready for a engine drop :stir::|err

...if you're like me, life's got you pretty busy outside of boats

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Awesome Name for the Boat ! Looks like you have a great start and a plan. I'm sure it will turn out real nice when you are done. Too bad the other guy took a grinder to it...kinda silly.
It's nice that you have all the hardware to utilize.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts