Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I bought a 1977 sanger super jet last summer and there is something about it that bothers me and maybe Im jus crazy (don't know). Thing is when I first took the boat out on the water it was a lil differen't for me being that it was my first jet boat,but not my first boat or hp 454 to play with. My concern is of the hull right under your feet you can feel the hull flex when you hit waves hard in this area. Also when the boat is on the trailer you can see the hull is flexed upwards a lil in this area due to bunk pushing it up. Is this something bad or what. Boat does not have a place diverter yet so you have no trim to get on the back pad either and I thought this may be the problem? I can take pics if needed. Please Help!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Tap on the areas with a small hammer or something...If it sounds solid it's just a light layup...But if there's delamination it should be repaired..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure. It is all still covered in carpet but I am gonna check this afternoon and see what is there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok this is what I found. A crack about a foot from edge of boat, about where bunk hits boat and it is pushed up there and the wood appears to be cracked. How do you repair this kind of thing?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You can start by removing all the interior (seating, carpet& foot throttle)... It appears that someone removed the glass that's supposed to be over the plywood flooring already for some reason or never replaced it .. The crack in the bottom will have to be patched... The wood looks like it needs replacing so it will need to be removed, replaced & glassed... It's not a one day fix.....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ok, can i tie this in whenever wood looks ok and glass it together?

Yes..

Also will I need to hold up front of boat to keep it from sagging on bunks while I do the repair?

Yes..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I have gutted boat and yes the plywood floor was rotten. The flotation had water standing in it. Terrible!!! The hull where the bunks was pushing up is still hooked upward. What do I do to get that to lay back like it should be?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ok, I have gutted boat and yes the plywood floor was rotten. The flotation had water standing in it. Terrible!!! The hull where the bunks was pushing up is still hooked upward. What do I do to get that to lay back like it should be?
I would cut a piece of plywood that will fit in the area and put some weight on it & see how much it takes to get it where it goes...That's the amount of weight you will need to use when glassing the floor back down to the hull..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I will try that and see what happens. What do you think about using a couple of crossbeams under wood to help strengthen it also?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everybody was right! This is hard shit!!! Everything is going good though. Laying down new stringer today. Had to lay new fiberglass in bottom yesterday due to what looked like the wet foam had tried to rub away glass matting.Will post pics today.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sanger

Does the trailer fit the boat????? Check to see if the bunks fit the bottom. Are they attached to the trailer at several points????? Are they rigid and not filtting the boat????? Trailers can break a boat.
HARLAN ORRIN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts