Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is with a heavy heart that I post this ad, but here we go: This is a 1985 Mako T-deck 5/8" runner bottom v-drive. This boat was built by the Ermshars for Ron Sapp after Ron crashed a Cole in Texas. Ron rigged and painted the boat, and it was built to run Pro Gas Flat. The boat consistently ran down in the 7.80 range at 140mph, and I think Ron told me he set the ADBA PGF mph record in this boat at around 142mph. This was the "Tuff Toy" boat that can be seen on Rick Cline's "Liquid Quarter Mile" poster:
Liquid Quarter Mile

The v-drive is at 98" from the inside of the transom, and the boat weighs approximately 450lbs. It comes complete minus engine, fuel pump, and ignition but all setup for BBC. The v-drive is polished and currently has 18's in it as well as an air shifter, and the prop is a Menkens. All of the hardware is anodized red, including the driveshaft cover. Unfortunately, red is the quickest color to fade, but it still looks decent. It has a solid driveline and a polished Lenco bellhousing. I also have some brand new miscellaneous billet hardware pieces to go with the boat (engine rails, seat brackets, v-drive braces, rudder brace, etc.). I have a brand new polished stainless steel 6 gallon IMCO race tank that goes with the boat that is not shown in the pictures. It hasn't been mounted yet. I got rid of the bullet tank because it was too small for blown alcohol. I also have a brand new carbon fiber shaft log that goes with it.

I dropped the same engine combination in this boat straight out of the Hondo that I had. I was running 9.60's in the Hondo and immediately jumped up to an 8.70 in the Mako (almost a full second improvement). This engine was a 477 BBC with iron oval port heads, single Dominator, and a 150hp Nitrous shot. This proves how well the boat is setup, as it was built and rigged during the prime days of the PGF class. If you are looking for a boat to run the new NJBA 7.70 class, it would be unwise to pass up this boat. It would also make a great 8 or 9 second bracket boat with minimal power. The boat sits on a tandem competitive trailer that has matching graphics to the paint scheme on the boat.

I'm located near St. Louis, MO but would help with delivery anywhere in the country. I'm asking $7800, but I know how the boat market is. Reasonable offers will be considered, but please don't lowball me...I'm having a hard enough time with letting it go as it is. I feel this is a fair price for a proven flat that has a lot of history, and I want to see it go to a good home. I have a Lifeline chute jacket, helmet restraints, and driver's suit that we can work in the deal, or I will sell these items separately only after the boat is sold.

Adam

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you get a new boat or what? That thing is sweet, wish I had the coin.
I'm actually putting my blown motor in a 260" Spitzer to go Top Dragster racing.

I have been looking at a boat similar to this????
I didn't know if you were still interested or not. If you'd like to call me, we can work something out. I'm willing to take a weekend to help with delivery. NorCal guys, I can meet you around Denver. SoCal guys, I can meet you around Amarillo or Tucumcari, NM. I just made that trip back in March.

Adam's boat is bad ass................:)devil If I was in the market I would be working on the transport. Search over......

Thanks, Scott. This would be a perfect hot rod to run with the Canyons and fast flats at NJBA and CFW. I couldn't believe the difference in driving this boat and the Hondo that had...pretty impressive!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hey Adam, Hopefully you sell a boat more honestly than you buy one....Thanks for jerking me off for a month + on my boat, you and your dad calling me on it and swearing you were picking it up in march. Then disappearing no longer calling or answering calls. When I called out of courtesy, just to make sure everything was alright. Thank your dad for me, for telling me he mailed me the deposit, and when I asked him where he mailed it to he simply said oh F*&%! and hung up on me. All I heard from you and your dad was how honest you were, and didn't want to get screwed on a boat so far away. You called me and made an offer that I accepted. I was more than accommodating on pics and videos for you guys..You know I turned two people away when you said the deposit was on its way so thanks...GUYS BE CAREFUL WITH THIS DADDY'S BOY WHO IS MOST LIKELY BROKE DUE TO THE FACT THAT HIS FATHER WAS CALLING ME TO BUY A BOAT FOR HIM.. AS YOU CAN READ IN THE POST ABOVE HE IS A FLAKE..IF THINGS CHANGED ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS LET ME KNOW, NO PROBLEM IT HAPPENS. I WOULDN'T SEND THIS GUY A PENNY WITHOUT BEING IN FRONT OF HIM TO EXCHANGE PINK/CASH..THE BOAT MAY BE VERY NICE, WHO KNOWS IT MAY NOT, I DON'T CARE. GOOD LUCK ADAM, MAY SOMEONE STROKE YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND MONEY AS YOU DID ME.:)st AIN'T THE INTERNET A BITCH:)hand

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Adam, Hopefully you sell a boat more honestly than you buy one....Thanks for jerking me off for a month + on my boat, you and your dad calling me on it and swearing you were picking it up in march. Then disappearing no longer calling or answering calls. When I called out of courtesy, just to make sure everything was alright. Thank your dad for me, for telling me he mailed me the deposit, and when I asked him where he mailed it to he simply said oh F*&%! and hung up on me. All I heard from you and your dad was how honest you were, and didn't want to get screwed on a boat so far away. You called me and made an offer that I accepted. I was more than accommodating on pics and videos for you guys..You know I turned two people away when you said the deposit was on its way so thanks...GUYS BE CAREFUL WITH THIS DADDY'S BOY WHO IS MOST LIKELY BROKE DUE TO THE FACT THAT HIS FATHER WAS CALLING ME TO BUY A BOAT FOR HIM.. AS YOU CAN READ IN THE POST ABOVE HE IS A FLAKE..IF THINGS CHANGED ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS LET ME KNOW, NO PROBLEM IT HAPPENS. I WOULDN'T SEND THIS GUY A PENNY WITHOUT BEING IN FRONT OF HIM TO EXCHANGE PINK/CASH..THE BOAT MAY BE VERY NICE, WHO KNOWS IT MAY NOT, I DON'T CARE. GOOD LUCK ADAM, MAY SOMEONE STROKE YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND MONEY AS YOU DID ME.:)st AIN'T THE INTERNET A BITCH:)hand
He actually found a nicer boat closer to home. I sent you a PM telling you that, and my dad told me that he talked to you about it. I didn't have a dime in it. I was trying to act as the middle man since he isn't very good with computers, but I guess I won't try that again. You can say what you want about me if it makes you feel better, and I'm sorry if you feel that you were wronged. I don't think that I did anything wrong to you, though, as there was no exchange of money or goods. The situation changed, and I was told that he had let you know. You don't know me and have never met me, so I think it's unwise for you to say such foul comments on the Internet. I would never do that to anyone, regardless of how I felt. At any rate, you're wrong on all accounts. I've never screwed anyone over and have bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of parts/boats on the Internet. I sold my last boat to Eddie Hill without any issues. I wouldn't expect a deposit on anything and wouldn't plan on anything being sold until it was out of the garage. I've had guys back out on deals before and didn't feel the need to hold it against them personally or call them out on a public forum. That's all part of selling things. Anyway, say what you will, but quite a few people know me and what I'm all about, so I will let my reputation and the reputation of my boat speak for themselves.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
the killer thing is the distance and the faded red anodizing. What color is the dark on the boat. In one pic it looks red then brown or rusty colored.

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the killer thing is the distance and the faded red anodizing. What color is the dark on the boat. In one pic it looks red then brown or rusty colored.
There are a lot of good anodizers out on the West Coast. Unfortunately, there aren't many here in the Midwest. A buddy of mine sent a boat's worth of v-drive hardware out to Eddie Marine for powdercoat. I think with shipping and all it cost him around $500 for all of the hardware. We could work that into the price of the boat, because I had planned to do it if I kept the boat.

I would describe the dark main color on the boat as a maroon. Ron Sapp is a very talented painter, and he used similar schemes on all of the boats and helmets that he painted. He ran PGF for years with this Mako, another Mako, and then a Canyon. I'm pretty sure I have some more photos on my laptop, so I will get it fired up tonight.

I don't mind weekend road trips or driving, so I'm pretty flexible on that aspect. The boat also has a custom cover for the cockpit area that fastens with stainless steel snaps. It matches the main maroon color on the boat (same color and fabric as the seat cover).

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
I will say this about Adam I bought a prop from him and resold it- the guy I sold it to xrayed it and it had cracks- a year later after our deal-Adam gave me my $$ back.
Based on my experience Adam is more than a stand up guy. Good luck on the pavement Adam-whats a Spitzer?

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will say this about Adam I bought a prop from him and resold it- the guy I sold it to xrayed it and it had cracks- a year later after our deal-Adam gave me my $$ back.
Based on my experience Adam is more than a stand up guy. Good luck on the pavement Adam-whats a Spitzer?
Hey Dan, thanks for the kind words. I hope you're doing well! Mike Spitzer is a chassis builder over in Indiana. Check out his website; he builds some nice race cars!
Spitzer Enterprises

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More pictures for those of you who requested them:

The Coca-Cola vinyl decal and the "Pilot: The Old Man" have been removed:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Adam, I never said any rude or foul coments about you or your pops. All I posted was the truth to the T. You were the contact person and I guess the 2 dozen or more calls to your phone all with messages asking what was up with the deal never got to you. I never received any PM's however I sent you a few. Was I wronged???...No. did you lie to me when your words to me were "its a done deal" maybe.. All a man has is his word so if I tell you its a deal then well its a deal and if for some reason things fall through then I man up, call, put my foot in my mouth and apologize. No biggie. I really dont appreciate the way it all went down and I do believe it cost me a earlier sale on the boat. In the future if things fall through just man up and step up. AND FOR GODS SAKE STOP HIDING BEHIND YOUR DAD YOUR A GROWN MAN YOURSELF. ITS NOT HIS FAULT,THAT THIS WENT THE WAY IT DID, ITS YOURS...All you had to do was take a phone call or return one and this would of been our little secret.

·
metalwax mike
1,696 Posts
Adam, I never said any rude or foul coments about you or your pops. All I posted was the truth to the T. You were the contact person and I guess the 2 dozen or more calls to your phone all with messages asking what was up with the deal never got to you. I never received any PM's however I sent you a few. Was I wronged???...No. did you lie to me when your words to me were "its a done deal" maybe.. All a man has is his word so if I tell you its a deal then well its a deal and if for some reason things fall through then I man up, call, put my foot in my mouth and apologize. No biggie. I really dont appreciate the way it all went down and I do believe it cost me a earlier sale on the boat. In the future if things fall through just man up and step up. AND FOR GODS SAKE STOP HIDING BEHIND YOUR DAD YOUR A GROWN MAN YOURSELF. ITS NOT HIS FAULT,THAT THIS WENT THE WAY IT DID, ITS YOURS...All you had to do was take a phone call or return one and this would of been our little secret.
ok, its time to let it go. :)coffee now you got a lesson in life. the first one with the money to the front door is the new owner.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sanger mike, I'm Just giving everyone a little heads up, if I had this info on this person it would not of gone this way. I'm just doing my duty here on the boards giving everyone a heads up on how our little transaction went down or not for that matter...If this guy is such a stand up guy maybe I should post the numerous e-mails or pm's that state "its a done deal. I just have to wait till dads retirement check clears, and ill send you some money. If someone else comes through we can get you a deposit sooner".. maybe with this info out this will not happen again. With adam that is..

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sanger mike, I'm Just giving everyone a little heads up, if I had this info on this person it would not of gone this way. I'm just doing my duty here on the boards giving everyone a heads up on how our little transaction went down or not for that matter...If this guy is such a stand up guy maybe I should post the numerous e-mails or pm's that state "its a done deal. I just have to wait till dads retirement check clears, and ill send you some money. If someone else comes through we can get you a deposit sooner".. maybe with this info out this will not happen again. With adam that is..
Dude, I said that we wanted to buy your boat and could send you a deposit. I'll be the first to admit that. In fact, that was the plan, but plans change. You were the one who said that you weren't worried and considered it a done deal. Then we found another boat that happened to be newer, nicer, and less expensive, so we went that route. I sent you a PM telling you that, so that was the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. A transaction implies that there was an exchange of currency for goods or services, which there was not. If you're a seller, and someone says they'll buy something, that's all fine and dandy. I simply changed my mind, though. It happens, like Sanger Mike said. I never said that the money was in the mail. If I would have, I would have provided you with a tracking number for something that important. Many people here on the boards know me through buying and selling, and I have never scammed anyone. You have stated your piece, and that is fine, but I would now appreciate it if you stayed out of this thread. "Maybe with this info out this will not happen again?" I know you're mad that we didn't buy your boat after saying that we were going to, and that's fine. I suggest you don't become a car salesman. However, you are acting like I took your boat without paying you or scammed you out of your money, which I did not. If I had a nickel for everytime someone told me they'd buy something off of me, I'd already be in retirement. That's all a part of dealing with people and being a seller. Just because I decided not to buy your boat after saying that I would does not make me a flake, dishonest, or a broke daddy's boy. You know nothing about me. As I said, you have stated your opinion, and that is perfectly acceptable. If your goal is to tarnish my reputation or prevent me from selling my boat, that is your prerogative, but I wish you nothing but the best.

We've said all there is to say, so now we can let the folks make up their minds. If you'd like to continue to post about it, you may start another thread devoted to that topic elsewhere. However, there are other members who are trying to sell their boats in this section, and it is not right to keep this discussion going here because it keeps it near the top and violates the bump rule.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
More pictures for those of you who requested them:

The Coca-Cola vinyl decal and the "Pilot: The Old Man" have been removed:
Now that brings the colors out better.:) Looks good, I will get back to ya on it. My eyes wander alot What prop and gears come with it again?

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that brings the colors out better.:) Looks good, I will get back to ya on it. My eyes wander alot What prop and gears come with it again?
The gears in the v-drive are 18's, and the prop is a Menkens 11 1/8 x 16. I may have a set of 22's sitting around that I was going to try, but I will double check. The v-drive has an air shifter and a whirlaway. I also have a brand new heavy duty propshaft coupler that goes with the boat. It is stepped from 1" to 1 1/8" because I was going to upgrade the output shaft on the v-drive to 1 1/8" for the blown alcohol engine and still run the 1" propshaft. That, along with the other miscellaneous billet hardware, makes about $750 in brand new parts that go with the boat that have never been installed or used.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts