Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a question wanted some peoples input from some of you guys ive got a 2.5 L 280 hp on a 19' daytona i have been looking at a new brain box cause my motor is a 96 which puts it with an analog brain that keeps me at a max RPM of 7500 or at least thats where my rev limiter is set i was wondering if i put a new brain on it that will let me rev to about 10,000 RPM i know they have these and i can find one pretty easy the only thing is im worried about my motor coming apart at that RPM i have approx 160 hrs on my motor its never been apart from the merc factory very strong motor any input would be appreciated

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
If your motor is an orignal 1996 2.5 EFI it would be a 260. 1996 puts it on the fence of having a digital Box already. If it is a digital box just change the chip out to the ROS (race offshore) chip and be done. The ROS limiter is 8200. 10k on a bone stock 260 will be very short lived. If you have your motor ser# PM me and I can run it for you on Merc net and tell you just what you have. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Ditto what Drew said. For longevity, keep it under 8500 or so. 96 should be a 260. Look on the back of the box (aluminum, non-painted that faces the intake horn) and see if there is a sticker with a letter, then 2 numbers, like A49. Let us know what that letter/number combo is.

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your motor is an orignal 1996 2.5 EFI it would be a 260. 1996 puts it on the fence of having a digital Box already. If it is a digital box just change the chip out to the ROS (race offshore) chip and be done. The ROS limiter is 8200. 10k on a bone stock 260 will be very short lived. If you have your motor ser# PM me and I can run it for you on Merc net and tell you just what you have. Hope this helps.
alright i looked at the back of the computer and it is written in black marker A37 the serial number tag that is on the outside of the motor has gone missing so idk what that is i do have another number off the left side of the boat that was stamped on to the block idk what that number is though. I believe it is a 280 because the original owner of this motor ordered it from mercury and also i had it dynoed prior to me purchasing the boat and it almost pinned a 300 hp dyno but i could be wrong about it all not too sure its either a 96 or a 97 idk but it definately doesnt run like a 260 im turning a pretty steap prop and hitting 7300 + - pretty quickly but im by no means an expert

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My old 1996 260 had the same A-37 analog box
ran a little on the rich side,which is good
one option is you can have the rev limit removed by
Rapair inc or maybe Brucato Machine
An A-48 digital box would be a nice direct plug and play to

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My old 1996 260 had the same A-37 analog box
ran a little on the rich side,which is good
one option is you can have the rev limit removed by
Rapair inc or maybe Brucato Machine
An A-48 digital box would be a nice direct plug and play to
yah thats what i was thinking to do is replace that box with a digital! does anyone know what year they came out with the new alien looking couling my motor was one of the 280 hp blocks immediately prior to them coming out with that new couling. i just talked to the previous owner of the motor and he said eliminator called him on his way to get it and said they had a new motor same everything but new couling and he said screw it leave it alone. so idk i need to get the serial number off of it and see what year it is and then figure out what the deal is with hp

·
Registered
378 Posts
I could be mistaken but the 280 has totally different electronics than a 260.Also doesn't the 280 have an alternator?

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be mistaken but the 280 has totally different electronics than a 260.Also doesn't the 280 have an alternator?
Some of the 280's might have an alternator but i believe its an after market part because everyone that ive seen doesn't have one. And for the electronics idk

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Try Kevin at R&R Prop Shop in Vegas 702-564-7502. I'd bet he has a digital box you could buy. You'd ideally want the A48 chip, which has no limiter and better cruise throttle fueling. 39# drag curve.

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try Kevin at R&R Prop Shop in Vegas 702-564-7502. I'd bet he has a digital box you could buy. You'd ideally want the A48 chip, which has no limiter and better cruise throttle fueling. 39# drag curve.
k a matter of fact i need to send a prop off and he already did one for me so this one might end up going there any clue what they run price wise?

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
Some of the 280's might have an alternator but i believe its an after market part because everyone that ive seen doesn't have one. And for the electronics idk
The 280 came out in 98. All true 280 EFIs have alternators and Motorola ECUs, very different that the 260 and Drag electronics. Alien cowl was made due to needing the clearance of the alternator. Get me the stamped ser# on the port side of your block and I will look it up for you. Still think the A48 digital box with the ROS chip is your best bet.

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 280 came out in 98. All true 280 EFIs have alternators and Motorola ECUs, very different that the 260 and Drag electronics. Alien cowl was made due to needing the clearance of the alternator. Get me the stamped ser# on the port side of your block and I will look it up for you. Still think the A48 digital box with the ROS chip is your best bet.
k then this is one of the first 280 made cause it still has the old cowling but it was ordered a 280 at least thats what ive been told ive got a number from the port side its 0G205251 doe sthat sound right?

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your motor is a 1995 260 EFI built 2/18/95.

right on well thanks i guess i was completely wrong but it did dyno at like 285 or 290 idk maybe there was some modifications prior to it being delivered. well i appreciate it so i do need to get the new computer what is the difference on the A48? computer compared to another that is a digital also

1 - 15 of 15 Posts