Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
not sure if i read that right but your 2205 seems to be a 2 channel. why are you not going to give each sub its own line to the amp?? you pic show two spots for speakers.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Your D2205 is a 4+1 amp (5 channel). 4 stereo channels and 1 sub. I would not personally run a 5 channel in a boat - unless you have fans blowing DIRECTLY on it. They are great for inside climate-controlled car interiors, but that's a lot of work to do in a hot boat interior cavity.

D2205:
Directed 5-Channel Class D Car Amplifier
Bass Remote Included

RMS Power Rating:
  • 4 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan. + 280 watts x 1 chan.
  • 2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan. + 400 watts approx. x 1 chan.
  • 1 ohm (subwoofer channel only): 600 watts x 1 chan.
Your Subs are dual 2-ohm voice coil models. I would not run the sub part of the amp at 1-ohm unless you have the previously mentioned HEFTY cooling system already in place.

I would stick to 2-ohm for the subs and stay 4-ohm on your other four channels (one 4-ohm speaker per channel).

So, on your subs, you need to run your voice coils in SERIES on each one. Connect a + of one coil to the - of the other. EACH sub is now a 4-ohm speaker. Then hook the TWO subs together PARALLEL; pos to pos, neg to neg. This will divide the resistance between them, making them appear to the amp as ONE 2-ohm speaker. Clear as mud?

To run 1-ohm, you would need to get 4-ohm voice coil subs anyway, so with these you either run them as 2-ohm or .5-ohm, which your amp is definitely not stable to.

G

·
Hey Chip, seems to me 1 amp isn't enough for those subs. Rated 400W @ 2 ohms, so you want to kind of match them with an amp that will drive them at least 75%. Nice subs btw. I replaced all the Pierced in my boat with Focal's, but I'm using JL 12W6's. Those 13's look like they'll kill :D

·
....at the Speed of Sound
696 Posts
So, on your subs, you need to run your voice coils in SERIES on each one. Connect a + of one coil to the - of the other. EACH sub is now a 4-ohm speaker. Then hook the TWO subs together PARALLEL; pos to pos, neg to neg. This will divide the resistance between them, making them appear to the amp as ONE 2-ohm speaker. Clear as mud?

correct....you want to series the coils on each sub and then parallel the subs together for a final impedance of 2 ohms at the amp.

The subs will be slighly underpowered with that amp but will still sound good and it will be reliable.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Chip, seems to me 1 amp isn't enough for those subs. Rated 400W @ 2 ohms, so you want to kind of match them with an amp that will drive them at least 75%. Nice subs btw. I replaced all the Pierced in my boat with Focal's, but I'm using JL 12W6's. Those 13's look like they'll kill :D
Here's what I had:
Audison VRX2.400 for the front Focal K3 165s
Audison VRX2.400 for the rear Focal K3 165s and
Audison 1.500 for the two K33 subs. Voice coils wired in series.

That stereo ROCKED. Crystal clear with incredible bass. Unfortunatly the Audisons would blow out every other trip. I have had a 2.400 and the 1.500 in the shop since April and I'm getting pissed. This past weekend my second 2.400 blew. Now I'm really pissed. **** the Audisons. Part of the problem stems from the fact they are subjected to the shocking ride of a boat, the other part is that they were mounted in an area that gets wet/moisture. None the less, they sound great but are too delicate for the environment.

Soooooo this late in the season I don't want to install a new set of amps and will use an old D2205 4.1 amp I have just to get by for the next two months. Not real happy about that....

So I'll wire the voice coils in series (as they already are) and in parallel from the power.

By the way, have I said F*CK Audison :|err. Next amps will be marine grade PDX from Alpine.

Thanks guys!

G

·
Here's what I had:
Audison VRX2.400 for the front Focal K3 165s
Audison VRX2.400 for the rear Focal K3 165s and
Audison 1.500 for the two K33 subs. Voice coils wired in series.

That stereo ROCKED. Crystal clear with incredible bass. Unfortunatly the Audisons would blow out every other trip. I have had a 2.400 and the 1.500 in the shop since April and I'm getting pissed. This past weekend my second 2.400 blew. Now I'm really pissed. **** the Audisons. Part of the problem stems from the fact they are subjected to the shocking ride of a boat, the other part is that they were mounted in an area that gets wet/moisture. None the less, they sound great but are too delicate for the environment.

Soooooo this late in the season I don't want to install a new set of amps and will use an old D2205 4.1 amp I have just to get by for the next two months. Not real happy about that....

So I'll wire the voice coils in series (as they already are) and in parallel from the power.

By the way, have I said F*CK Audison :|err. Next amps will be marine grade PDX from Alpine.

Thanks guys!
Sounds like they put your amps in the rear compartment?

Mine are under the deck on the passenger side. A real bitch to get to and work on, but they stay dry but get real hot. I've had good luck with the JL's but I think in the fall I'm gonna rework the boxes for 13W7's and then repower with the pdx's. I like the Focal's, nice stuff.

·
....at the Speed of Sound
696 Posts
they are subjected to the shocking ride of a boat,

they were mounted in an area that gets wet/moisture.

they sound great but are too delicate for the environment.

By the way, have I said F*CK Audison :|err.

:)Unsure

Im about to put an Audison LRx 5.1k in my boat. Hopefully I have better results than you.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:)Unsure

Im about to put an Audison LRx 5.1k in my boat. Hopefully I have better results than you.
I have the LRx5.1 in my Rhino, it's a great amp. I really like the Audison stuff, but seriously I have gone almost the whole season without a stereo. I'm about to head to WalMart tomorrow and pick up some 6x9s and a $50 head unit :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts