Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Havasu & Anaheim Hills
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow a 26 Daytona about a mile from my place in Havasu to the Windsor launch ramp with my 2500HD Duramax 4wd. There are lots of great deals out there on new trucks, with 0% financing etc. I am debating if I need 4 wheel drive on my next truck. Any comments from those using 2wd trucks and suburban / tahoe types on wet ramps?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have never had to use my 4wd at Windsor, but there has been a few times that I had to launch at site 6 and 4wd is mandatory. I have an F-29 so the boat is pretty heavy. I say go with the 4wd. Its always better to have too much than not enough.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
My last p/u was a 2wd 1500 HD 2004 Chevy, I got stuck at Windsor trying to get my 28' boat out of the water. Luckily a few guys piled in the bed and it got me the traction that got me out. May only need the 4wd once every 3 years, but when you do, it just paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
If you go 2wd make sure to get a limited slip diff, most every mfg has it as an option. I have a 4wd with it and have never put it 4wd at the launch ramp.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've pulled up to 29' out of Windsor (Hallet) and didn't have a problem w/2wd and limited slip. I keep one of those cheap 12v air compressors in my SUV just in case I need to air down (haven't yet). 9/10 airing down will do the trick.

I have seen 2wd pickups with LSD have trouble - I've air'd them down and they pull right out.

The cost of purchase, loss in MPG (usually 1mpg), and insurance outweighs the use for me in Havi (if that's all you're using it for).

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you have a use for it, get 4wd. :)hand I have a 4x4, and love it. I use it. I like having it. I can go to the mountains with out chains, plus I don't have to worry about having an issue at the worst time! thats just me. I also lifted it!!! You could a,ways have an air locker added to it after you buy it! Those are nice!!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
We ahve a 2500 HD two wheel drive with the limited slip. I have not had a problem pulling our 27' Daytona out on any ramp infive years with it.:)

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
4x4 for sure...plus helps if you have to back up a steep incline, just put it in 4 low and idle up it instead of heating up your tranny.

ALso, i pulled over one time to fix a flat and got stuck in 3" of sand, put it in 4wd and no problems. Also, if you have someone that you are sketchy about driving the truck up the ramp after you load the boat, i put mine in 4wd just so they don't smoke the tires.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I've seen trucks spinning at the waters edge and all the way up the ramp, nissan,toyota,ford,dodge. But when I pull the boat out with the chevy, I don't spin at all. Must be from the rear locking diff, or the good yokahama's. It's a 2500, even my 1500 had the locking rear, sure comes in handy. 4x4 more shit to service.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
my last p/u was a 2wd 1500 hd 2004 chevy, i got stuck at windsor trying to get my 28' boat out of the water. Luckily a few guys piled in the bed and it got me the traction that got me out. May only need the 4wd once every 3 years, but when you do, it just paid for itself.
x 2.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
We bought into the 2x no problem hype and got an 06 Tahoe with limited slip and traction control....had problems all the time at Windor getting our 27 out of the water when the ramp was wet. Went back to a 4x Yukon now....no more problems.

Wish I had never had that 2x...milage diff wasn't noticable...in fact the 07 4x gets better mpg than the 06 2x.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have a 2006 2wd dually that I love except on wet ramps. It is very difficult to air down. I have had to bump the boat into gear and help the truck up the ramp. I will NOT own another 2wd to pull the boat with. We put everyone on the front of the boat or in the bed of the truck and that helps a ton but is a pain.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
hell all pickups shoud be standard 4x4. some one on a diff thread about the same thing posted "wouldnt you rather have it and not need it or need it and not have it?" im just sayin u WILL need it someday:D

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
i make the wife pull out in 4x4 after the boat is in the water and when the boat is on the trailer coming out of the water. if she does not then her lead foot havin ass will just sit there and spin the tires even if the limited slip is in. she does not know how and when to let off the throttle to regain traction. she keeps it in 4x4 to keep her self in check. if she had it her way she'd roast the rear tire off my f250 until she was in the p/lot:)sphss but i love her so i guess i have to deal with it

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
i make the wife pull out in 4x4 after the boat is in the water and when the boat is on the trailer coming out of the water. if she does not then her lead foot havin ass will just sit there and spin the tires even if the limited slip is in. she does not know how and when to let off the throttle to regain traction. she keeps it in 4x4 to keep her self in check. if she had it her way she'd roast the rear tire off my f250 until she was in the p/lot:)sphss but i love her so i guess i have to deal with it
:D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
hell all pickups shoud be standard 4x4. some one on a diff thread about the same thing posted "wouldnt you rather have it and not need it or need it and not have it?" im just sayin u WILL need it someday:D
Didn't think we would need it with the dually but some of these ramps get slick and as stated above, you WILL need it.

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
The way I was taught was...2 wheel drive you have to pick and choose which ramp you can use, 4 wheel you don't. I promise you that no 2wd truck will pull a decent sized boat up my communities launch ramp.

Besides, no stock 2wd pick-up looks even remotely good:):)punch Sorry guys but the truth hurts.

·
Young Junior Member
319 Posts
If you go 2wd make sure to get a limited slip diff, most every mfg has it as an option. I have a 4wd with it and have never put it 4wd at the launch ramp.
F.Y.I.-mostly any vehicle now days has limited slip, i would get a 4x4...may not need it but its the safest way to go...i dont have a very heavy boat but i tow with a 92 ford explorer and never slide around and only put it in 4 low 2 or 3 times at pleasure points ramp...and its a steep azz ramp:)devil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts