Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock headlights on the new F-150's really suck. I installed some new Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs and those did not do much. Lights just seem to be really dim.
Been on some F-150 forums and this seems to be the norm.

I see all these HID and Xenon Retro Fit kits for my truck online but none of them include a new projector headlamp. I know for HID's to work correctly you need a projector to throw the light out. Alot of the online forums are saying you are wasting your money on HID's if you don't get the projector headlamp.

Anyone figured out a way to get better lighting on the new F-150?
I bought this Sylvnia Xenon Kit back in 2003 for a Chevy Tahoe I had , man I wish there was something out there like this for my F-150. The Sylvania kit was bad azz.
http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=211

Thanks

John

·
New here
4,219 Posts
The problem with Fords, is the 9007 bulbs. They are hi/lo combination, which is hard to do in HID. They usually have a small solenoid inside the bulb base that moves the bulb to alter the reflection. Not actually higher wattage. Unless things have changed, there is no way to increase the light output once the gas is already lit. 35watt HIDs are separate from 55watt HIDs, and I haven't seen any that can be combined into one bulb.

So, the problem is, bulbs are getting cheaper and cheaper - which is no big deal for 9006s or H11s and the like. They are solely low beams and the highs are a separate bulb. The cheaper solenoids in the 9007s and H4s tend to eventually "stick" in one position or the other. I haven't seen many people happy with hi/lo HIDs. I can't speak for them myself, as I have only dealt with 9006s and H11s.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts