1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
P/E #426
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L direct injection

Toyota Camry with the 2.4L gas motor.

Both auto, same price, and warranty.

I like both but am leaning towards the Hyundai but am hesitant of Hyundai's longevity.

Any opinions and or experiences would be great.

These are my only options due to situation!

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
One of my best friends just bought the hybrid Sonata. Get the leather seats. Pay $1,000 installed, not the retail $2,000. Car out the door $26K and change. He LOVES the car. Averaging 30mpg.

Personally I would have them knock off all the logos and then it would look like every other European car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you go with the Camery, wait until the 2012 comes out. It is a complete redesign. I saw it a few days ago online. I think it is suppose to be out in a few months. You can probably do a search and find pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hyndai really? I'm not a fan. I would go Toyota all the way. I would prolly also look at the Honda and Acuras as well, but you may have already done that.

Oh yeah, I have a client that is a Toyota Mechanic. He told me that there are codes as to where the car was assembled. He said from his experience he sees huge differences in warranty work pending on where it was assembled. I think he said be scared of Mexico and Japan is optimal. If you get serious about going Toyota I will find out how to determine.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
I woud imagine quite a price difference between them.I met a couple with a Hyundi and they LOVE it and a 100 thousand mile warranty. Damn hard to beat that.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4L direct injection

Toyota Camry with the 2.4L gas motor.

Both auto, same price, and warranty.

I like both but am leaning towards the Hyundai but am hesitant of Hyundai's longevity.

Any opinions and or experiences would be great.

These are my only options due to situation!
My aunt just got a Hyundai Sonata 3 months ago and loves it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Everytime I see the New Sonata, my first thought is "what model Mercedes is that?"

Hyundai has done a fantastic job of styling on this car!

One of the good (or bad things) about Hyundai, is that their past reputation is SO bad, that the company is truly forced to give the best warranty in the industry. How good the warranty is, I don't know.

I would take off the Hyundai emblems, and put on some european emblems on, that make people wonder.

My German "Gray Market" BMW had HARTGE as it's rear emblem. (heck, the cigarette lighter was called the "Zig-Aunzunder")

With a body kit........it would look sweet!

GO SONATA!

To see a fixed up Sonata, go to car domain dot com and lok up what people have done to their 2011 Sonata's (I have not looked, but that is where you find a custom one)

C-Ya

P.S. You can never go wrong with a Toyota!

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
I have driven the Turbo Sonata and it was pretty fast for a small engine. I had close to 300HP. I would wait and take a look at the new Toyota. Both cars are nice.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
I would have to go Camry for longevity. My 08 XB (4 cyl Camry power train) has 185K & just now uses a quart of oil between 5K oil changes. My Matrix went 220K

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
Oh yeah, I have a client that is a Toyota Mechanic. He told me that there are codes as to where the car was assembled. He said from his experience he sees huge differences in warranty work pending on where it was assembled. I think he said be scared of Mexico and Japan is optimal. If you get serious about going Toyota I will find out how to determine.
For current models, Camry's sold in the US are predominantly made in Kentucky and Indiana, with some (but not much) Japanese production.
They aren't made in Mexico.

If the VIN# begins with a 1, it's made in the US.
If it begins with a J, it's made in Japan.
This is true for all cars, not just Toyota...there are obviously other letters/numbers that represent the country of origin, but for Camrys sold in the US it's easy, one or the other.

An easier way to tell - for all cars - is to look at the plate, typically in the driver's door area, that has stuff like tire PSI and other info...the country of origin is usually listed there by name.

If you're interested in seeing where cars - any car - is made, the attached is from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The government tabulates American parts content, and gives a percentage of US/North American content. The Camry is near the top, at 80%.
You can generate you own report here to see for yourself:
Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
if it was me i would buy the Hyundai,very well built cars and easy to work on.

i have built several Hyundais(Bodyshop) over the past years and they are easy to work on and simple.

as far as longevity i know of several with many miles and no problems and they all love them:))THumbsUp

with any Brand they have there problems and there is always a negative and positive as with anything.

No matter what you choose best of luck

Travis:yes:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Both have idiocyncrisis but to me there is no better looking car (price range and some above) on the road than the Hyundai Sonata. It is what my next new car will be unless Camry comes up with a new look this year model, when ever that will be??
I have priced out both and a fully maxed out Sonata with GPS in the Limited model listed right at $30K, before discounts wherever you may shop. Try www.truecar.com to see what the best SELLING prices have been in your area.
Good luck
NSF

·
Willow Valley / Palmdale
562 Posts
Everytime I see the New Sonata, my first thought is "what model Mercedes is that?"

Hyundai has done a fantastic job of styling on this car!

One of the good (or bad things) about Hyundai, is that their past reputation is SO bad, that the company is truly forced to give the best warranty in the industry. How good the warranty is, I don't know.

I would take off the Hyundai emblems, and put on some european emblems on, that make people wonder.

My German "Gray Market" BMW had HARTGE as it's rear emblem. (heck, the cigarette lighter was called the "Zig-Aunzunder")

With a body kit........it would look sweet!

GO SONATA!

To see a fixed up Sonata, go to car domain dot com and lok up what people have done to their 2011 Sonata's (I have not looked, but that is where you find a custom one)

C-Ya

P.S. You can never go wrong with a Toyota!
I do not think I would buy a car that I think I have to take the emblems off of.

·
Apache Lake Monger
917 Posts
Hyundai snagged a design engineer from Mercedes. Hince the look, Hyundai was crap in the 80's but they challenged themselves to get better. The new Equus is a
little over the top though.

Try the Sonata, I had one for a rental and really liked it.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
I think both cars are nice for the price. We hae had a 2003 Camry now since new with 150K miles and not one rattle or problem. With the car. Runs perfect still.

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
Hyundai snagged a design engineer from Mercedes. Hence the look, Hyundai was crap in the 80's but they challenged themselves to get better.
?
Low-level designers come and go.

Hyundai's current head of design is Phil Zak, who came from GM Europe. I've never met Mr. Zak.

He replaced Joel Piaskowski, who went to Hyundai after working in GM design. He left Hyundai to go to Mercedes-Benz, but left rather abruptly and now heads-up Ford exterior design. He's responsible for the current look of Hyundai's on the road today, but his work at Mercedes-Benz came after, not before, Hyundai. And he didn't stay at Mercedes-Benz long enough to influence their design. I know Joel quite well, on a professional basis.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The new Sonata, hands down. The 2012 models have been out for a month. I believe they are PZEV like the 2012 Tucson, so improved MPG. If they are looking for more room, checkout the Tucson, 2012, 32 MPG for a crossover SUV.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The new Sonata, hands down. The 2012 models have been out for a month. I believe they are PZEV like the 2012 Tucson, so improved MPG. If they are looking for more room, checkout the Tucson, 2012, 32 MPG for a crossover SUV.
PZEV also means less HP dosent it, because it passes (cough, choke, puke), Californias smog tests????
nsf

1 - 20 of 24 Posts