Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
November 29, 2014

Hello People

We are making some changes in the safety equipment on the 149 Tsunami.

The old “mechanical Pop Off system” worked, but it would go off at the wrong time every now and then, when the pressure in the intake became greater than the supplied valve in the system, 150 psi is the static value.

Well, the new system is being tested as we speak and it’s “electronically controlled”.
The sample data shot is where RPM’s went down sharply and the intake pressure spiked very high, the q data recording shows intake spike went as high as 350 plus psi on this sudden de-acceleration. :)Unsure

There are just some minor changes in how the driver activates and deactivates the system. The default circuit is set with the popoff open.

The open set psi can be as high as the sensor being used to activate the system; I have mine set to auto open at 160 psi or greater

Willis

Attachments

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
ET improvements - Savings are being Planned

November 30, 2014

Hello People

The 2014 race season was full of interesting data collecting and results from data history used to course tune the 149 Tsunami.
After analyzing the data and timing slips we have concluded a weight saving program will help the program a lot, however is not necessary.

The planned gains, loss is approximately 280lbs, which should show up very quickly in the time slips.

What’s your take on the changes? :)Unsure

Willis

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Glad to see you making progress with your program Willis. The weight loss should certainly make it quicker as long as you can still keep it loading on the big end.

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanical-Electrical Miersch PopOff Valve

November 30, 2014

Hello People

The old Miersch system works and it looks like this.

In 2013 I took the valve/system to Roy and he lighten up the valve and piston plus updated the manual override with an electrical switch.

The electrical push button is on the steering wheel where the manual use to be. :)Unsure

Willis

Attachments

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Pop Off Valve Controls

December 1, 2014

Hello People

The new Electronically Control PopOff System is installed. The system will sew up the loose ends in the emergency activation. The part of the old mechanical/pneumatic system I didn’t like was it would only load the psi value while holding the push in. The new system has a constant load while the 12v is present.

When 12v is supplied the default is piston open, the operator has to load/arm piston down.

If the valve is automatically tripped, the popoff piston will remain open until reset by the operator :)Unsure

Willis

Attachments

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not Stuffing the Boat

what is it you're trying to accomplish willis?
December 1, 2014

Hello People

BP

I’m making sure the slowdown process for 2015 is softer decent than 2014. The power level to run the 1000’ and win is very high for my program and It’s uncomfortable to me the way the boat is slowed down with the current process and power used / current equipment.

Having,/ using less power and a lighter cart will be easier to slow and stay in the hunt for the win, 6.0 something.

I would rather do it at a slower speed and quicker boat like K Adams said. . .:)Unsure

Willis

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
December 1, 2014

Hello People

BP

I’m making sure the slowdown process for 2015 is softer decent than 2014. The power level to run the 1000’ and win is very high for my program and It’s uncomfortable to me the way the boat is slowed down with the current process and power used / current equipment.

Having,/ using less power and a lighter cart will be easier to slow and stay in the hunt for the win, 6.0 something.

I would rather do it at a slower speed and quicker boat like K Adams said. . .:)Unsure

Willis
Getting rid of that much weight is a lot Willis. Hope you can do it. I feel it's definitely safer to run quicker with less mph.

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Weight gains - loss

Getting rid of that much weight is a lot Willis. Hope you can do it. I feel it's definitely safer to run quicker with less mph.
December 1, 2014

Hello People

Kjell

The weight loss is a piece of cake for the first, 140, 18, and 23lbs

The last is somewhat more creative without compromising strength for the hp / torque to pull the weight. :)Unsure

Willis

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
December 1, 2014

Hello People

Kjell

The last is somewhat more creative without compromising strength for the hp / torque to pull the weight. :)Unsure

Willis
I'm guessing 140 for an aluminum block and other components for 18 and 23. The remaining 100 in your equation will be a lot tougher to find as you've no doubt found already.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cool!

Glad my dad could help you in your lightening process. Sounds like a fun project. What gains are you hoping for in lightening process?
-L

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
December 1, 2014

Hello People

Kjell

Willis
Hello Willis :)hand Are Ya lookin for a 100 LB jockey ? :)Unsure

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Willis the slower safer race strategy will require a boost controller of some type. In order to have more than one power level during the run. A - B run under the same power is 130's in any jet.

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Power Level

Willis the slower safer race strategy will require a boost controller of some type. In order to have more than one power level during the run. A - B run under the same power is 130's in any jet.
December 2, 2014

Hello People

Info

I disagree with that theory of two power levels to go 6.028 ET in 1000’ course with a supercharged engine :)Unsure

Tuning for power is not “Magic” and does not have to be creative on the curve.

The setup we used is the same as the other blown jet boats who ran the 1000 foot course with good ET and Speed.

Willis

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Expensive Habits

The other 100 will be expensive!!! :yes:

December 2, 2014

Hello People

Joe

I agree, it is expensive, but if you want to be a player, you have to put up to get with the program :)Unsure

Willis

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Not sure where that came from. I thought we were talking getting there with less MPH

What MPH do you run that 6.02?

December 2, 2014

Hello People

Info

I disagree with that theory of two power levels to go 6.028 ET in 1000’ course with a supercharged engine :)Unsure

Tuning for power is not “Magic” and does not have to be creative on the curve.

The setup we used is the same as the other blown jet boats who ran the 1000 foot course with good ET and Speed.

Willis

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speed

Not sure where that came from. I thought we were talking getting there with less MPH

What MPH do you run that 6.02?
December 2, 2014

Hello People

Info

We are, every run in the last race the 149 Tsunami crew was pulling out massive power to keep from breaking out in that 1000' course and not get DQ'd for speed in blown gas jet :)Unsure

The final tune ups were two different power level for both classes

We ran it @ 130.749

Willis

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
If I misunderstood wouldn't be the first time. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts