Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 93 22' daytona 500-550 hp 468 blown entercooled bravo 1 imco lower running a 29 pitch prop the guy i bought it off of said they gps this thing at 110, now i dont no if it was with this prop or a smaller one but i had 4 big guys in it light on fuel and gps it at 83 my question is , i get a porpose from around 70 - 80 and it cant seem to pull out of it, im trimed up around 1/2 to a little over 1/4,at half up it seems to be flying a little high,wether it is or not i dont no,do these 22' need tunnle tabes,i spoke to eliminator and they said more than likely it needed tabes,i spoke to greg at cutting edge props and he said its over proped he would build a 27 pitch, eliminator said they run 30 pitch props ,, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS HERE ANY IS APPRECIATED THANKS

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
i have a 93 22' daytona 500-550 hp 468 blown entercooled bravo 1 imco lower running a 29 pitch prop the guy i bought it off of said they gps this thing at 110, now i dont no if it was with this prop or a smaller one but i had 4 big guys in it light on fuel and gps it at 83 my question is , i get a porpose from around 70 - 80 and it cant seem to pull out of it, im trimed up around 1/2 to a little over 1/4,at half up it seems to be flying a little high,wether it is or not i dont no,do these 22' need tunnle tabes,i spoke to eliminator and they said more than likely it needed tabes,i spoke to greg at cutting edge props and he said its over proped he would build a 27 pitch, eliminator said they run 30 pitch props ,, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS HERE ANY IS APPRECIATED THANKS
In 06 my friend and I bought a pair of 22 Daytonas

One was set up I/O the other Outboard

We both put on Lenco tunnel tabs

Worked out great Much better start fully loaded and just a tap down and porpose goes away

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
from about 75-95 they will porpose and some very bad, single step bottom. power through it as quick as possible to about 100 then you can back it down to about 90 and it will still stay up. Dont think tabs will help much if any at all, you are just forcing the boat back in the water and it wants to ride above the water. Try to put the boat in a slight turn when it starts to hop and it should calm it down a lot, but as soon as you go straight it comes back.
You never said what gears you ran either, I ran a 30 and 32 with a 1.50 at over 6K. best of 117.

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
from about 75-95 they will porpose and some very bad, single step bottom. power through it as quick as possible to about 100 then you can back it down to about 90 and it will still stay up. Dont think tabs will help much if any at all, you are just forcing the boat back in the water and it wants to ride above the water. Try to put the boat in a slight turn when it starts to hop and it should calm it down a lot, but as soon as you go straight it comes back.
You never said what gears you ran either, I ran a 30 and 32 with a 1.50 at over 6K. best of 117.
I just got back from running are 22 daytona today

I agree with you on your driving tip, what we have found in testing on 4 daytonas single and twin outboards and 2 i/o

Tunnel taps have a controling affect on the air flow thru the tunnel at speed, a few benfits as

water and wind conditions change can be had added driver comfort

Plus a much better holeshot

I would say it was worth the money no regrets at all

It fixed many a ride problem each combo has

·
the silver bullet!
1,996 Posts
you beat to this one !!!! i was going to send him your direction any ways

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would highly recommend putting tabs! My buddy has kplanes on his 22 and has zero porpoise and runs like a 25 in the big stuff night and day difference in ride quality!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I would highly recommend putting tabs! My buddy has kplanes on his 22 and has zero porpoise and runs like a 25 in the big stuff night and day difference in ride quality!
tunnel tabs I can see for packing air in the tunnels at lower speeds, trim tabs just add length to the boat at speed. There are very few tunnels that do not porpoise at all?? Extension boxes may help, Higher X's may help. I think the newer 22's are way better for the hopping problem but the early to mid 90's seemed to be the worst in I/O configurations.
We all seem to have had some different results with the early 22's. So to tab or not to tab is your question to yourself?
Also with tabs either on the tunnels or sponsons at 70-75mph you may be able to plant the nose down so hard it wont hop. that speed is where that boat is trying to begin to transition and it may be hard to cure completely. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a 1992 with blown 502, without without the blower would porpose bad at around 70, put a small amount of power and blew right threw it, 4 dudes,full of fuel, 30 labbed prop 102 gps,no tabs. Oh imco 1 inch lower

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
i had a 1992 with blown 502, without without the blower would porpose bad at around 70, put a small amount of power and blew right threw it, 4 dudes,full of fuel, 30 labbed prop 102 gps,no tabs. Oh imco 1 inch lower
yes you can use the muscle of the motor to pull it through it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would probably have to just about double that number to see 110 in a 22!
ive gps'ed it at 90 with me and the old lady , im kinda going out on a lim here saing its 500-550 what do you guys think a well built 468" blown entercooled 5-6# of boost produces,and is the 29 pitch prop to much greg over at cutting edge props seems to think so he said a 27 pitch prop would be ideal for that boat,also i talked to kenny over at eliminator and he said they make 2 different kinds of props , a bow lifting or a stearn lifting does that sound rite , he said the daytonas need the stearn lifting props

·
blown daytona
21 Posts
22 eliminator

take the guys out of the back and the boat will run, mine dont like weight in the back , souuld run triple digets no problem if x demension is high enoughm

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have. An original 95 22 daytona black hawk set up with 560hp an 1.50 ratio with one passenger I have seen 96mph gps hitting the limiter at 5600 an 29p front prop an 31 rear prop it has little porpus at lower speeds but only when on glass it porpus with little wind ripples its straigh

·
Some guy
3,634 Posts
what size props are you guys running is a 29 to big
Steve,,, what kind of rpm do you pull with the 29? I suspect that your little 468 makes more like 700+ horsepower with 8 lbs boost.

Different props will affect the handling and drive-ability of the boat. As a comparison, my friend Jason's Stoker with perhaps 750-800 HP turns a 30 or 32 pitch prop, but it's smoother and more friendly with the 30.

You may want to get someone to shoot photos of your boat at higher speed to see how the boat is riding in the water, and see if it needs more or less tail lift.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The black hawk drive has no problems turning 29 or 31 props but the drive is know for being a dog out of the hole but 31p is the biggest prop ever made for the black hawk

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 22 Daytona likes a 4 blade Bravo, worked to 33 pitch, tip cup, lots of extra cup, with a 1.5 gear, Naturally aspirated. This is a bow lift deal, for sure. I tried my P5x in several pitches and I couldn't get the bow to free up. The P5x works awesome in my 25 Daytona, allowing a lot of bow lift, but the 22 hates it.... I have a great collection of 4,5, and 6 blades for them, I'll post what I'm selling since I have both Daytonas figured out now. TIMINATOR

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have almost the same setup, i have a 98 22' daytona with a 468 blown bbc 8-10 lb of boost. im running a 30p 4 blade prop on a bravo 1. When my boat is low on gas and its just me and my girl It runs 110 mph. mid to full on gas (2x30gallon tanks) and 4 ppl i did 101. it gets a pretty bad hop going if you have people in the back seats. only way to get rid of it for me is to keep triming up and it seems to go away. I pull about 6k rpm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts