Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the board, but have been spending most of my nights perusing through the forums. I need a little help, I’m looking at moving up from my 80’s Nordic 21’ open bow to a newer boat. I was told the Lightning Boats were made by Ultra, but have not confirmed. I searched the forums and Google, but didn’t come up with much information on Lightning Boats. I mostly boat at the Parker Strip and occasionally Lake Havasu. The boat has a Mercruiser 6.2 MPI Bravo I/O with 53 hours.

Any Good Experiences / Bad Experiences with these boats.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
my bad i got lightning and laser mix up.

i'm sorry i wrote all that about the wrong boat. I should have know that but I just got the L named boats mixed up. my bad.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
No Laser is the sister boat to Essex. As far as Lightning depends on the year. Give us the year and that will help. They were first an Ultra without all the bling and then the line and molds were sold off about 2005ish to the dealer up in San Fernando who makes them now.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
i own a laser and it is from essex.. i looked at lighting when i purchased my laser and for me. the fit and finish was not as good as laser imo..not saying anything bad about lighting, dont know awhole bunch of info about them other than the research i did for myself..i boat at mead and havasu and my boat is a 24' with a 496 mag and again imo i would not go any smaller for a lake boat..i have ran it on the parker strip..oh ya i bought my laser in 2007. i hope this helps you for what its worth..good luck..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ultra used to produce the Lightning's. A few years ago they sold the molds to lightning and I believe Genesis (Stay away from them). Lightning builds a good boat for a great price. I loved mine as well as many other Lightning owners.
The 23 and 24's are great hulls.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a 2003 ultra 23xs for about 5 years great boat you would be pleased with that boat, with that motor you should see about 62mph top speed

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hello, I’m new to the board, but have been spending most of my nights perusing through the forums. I need a little help, I’m looking at moving up from my 80’s Nordic 21’ open bow to a newer boat. I was told the Lightning Boats were made by Ultra, but have not confirmed. I searched the forums and Google, but didn’t come up with much information on Lightning Boats. I mostly boat at the Parker Strip and occasionally Lake Havasu. The boat has a Mercruiser 6.2 MPI Bravo I/O with 53 hours.

Any Good Experiences / Bad Experiences with these boats.

Thanks for your help.

Terry
Ultra has not built the Lightning line for about 4 years or so. We have nothing to do with Lightning boats. Hope this helps with your question.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Beaver retreiver here on the forum had 23xs about 2 or 3 years ago and it was beautiful. went out many times with him on it and never had any problems. great boat!

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I will add this for you, the 23 on parker will prolly continue to be good, however in all hosesty depending on what, where and when you use it at havasu you may not be totally satisfied with it. I am always happy to help someone get into a boat, new or used! I have had numerous peeps come to me at boat shows and say they are "tired of getting beat up in a 23 or 24 foot boat on havasu on the weekends, we want to get something bigger."

i do know lots of peeps and customers that run cobra 230 razor's on havasu and are fine with it too, hell i used to run a 21 all the time. btw, i am pretty sure the hull in 230 razor is the same as the one you are looking at in the lightning. I would only suggest that you take into consideration when and where you will be using the boat on havasu. It would not be a good thing to buy a boat, find out its not big enough for your needs and have to try to sell it and then still have to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I saw an 08 23' lightning with a 383, a brand new boat, I think they were selling it for about 36K at the Boat Hunters. It looks nice, but I want something bigger.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
When I was looking ,I also looked at the Lightnings. Fit & finish was good.
What I had seen the difference between a 23ft lightning and a 23ft Cobra was
the Cobra had so much more room in the interior compared the lightning.
Just a different boat it"s all good. What ever you like

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
When I was looking ,I also looked at the Lightnings. Fit & finish was good.
What I had seen the difference between a 23ft lightning and a 23ft Cobra was
the Cobra had so much more room in the interior compared the lightning.
Just a different boat it"s all good. What ever you like
Hi John, you are are a perfect example, i like the way you move that boat on Havasu... handles that place pretty well for you... not all run it like you do.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great responses, its nice to know what you’re getting into, especially when safety is an issue as well. The boat I am looking at is a 2006, which sounds like it would not be an Ultra boat (unfortunately). I think I'm okay with the size, I've had my 87 21' Nordic out at Havasu many times. There were days that "Puker Factor" was an understatement. We mostly stay on Parker now for the main reason of staying away from the big boats, but I have seen bigger and bigger boats out there.

Besides being a poor man's Cobra, has anyone heard of any safety problems?

Again, thanks for all the responses.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses, its nice to know what you’re getting into, especially when safety is an issue as well. The boat I am looking at is a 2006, which sounds like it would not be an Ultra boat (unfortunately). I think I'm okay with the size, I've had my 87 21' Nordic out at Havasu many times. There were days that "Puker Factor" was an understatement. We mostly stay on Parker now for the main reason of staying away from the big boats, but I have seen bigger and bigger boats out there.

Besides being a poor man's Cobra, has anyone heard of any safety problems?

Again, thanks for all the responses.
have not heard anything, find a boat you are comfortable with and don't worry about what peeps have to say.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
There have been a few peeps here with the same boat or similar size - all with the 6.2.

ALL have been on here or actually, back in the day, HOTBOAT, asking how to improve power. Basically anything over 21' should be big-block powered. Based on several other previous 23'/6.2L owners, you WILL be wanting more power. Pay now or pay later.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
There have been a few peeps here with the same boat or similar size - all with the 6.2.

ALL have been on here or actually, back in the day, HOTBOAT, asking how to improve power. Basically anything over 21' should be big-block powered. Based on several other previous 23'/6.2L owners, you WILL be wanting more power. Pay now or pay later.
good point

1 - 20 of 47 Posts