Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
We use to make a 28 footer at Hawaiian, nothing to do with this hawaiian for sale, back in the 70's. Some of them were set up with twin BBC's and twin berks...and lots of gas tanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a nice boat. I didnt know they made a boat this big in a jet drive.

I would like to see a pic of one with the dual motors/jets like old rigger mentioned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a 1985 Advantage deckboat here locally that is a 26ft cat with a jet. I have been trying to buy it, but I cant get him reasonable on the price. It runs, but is in pretty rough condition. He claims it runs 45 with the stock 454, logs and Berk JG pump.

I had some pictures of it on my old phone, but some a$$hoe stole the phone from our table while we were at IHOPs a few weeks ago.

Anyone one know what one of these old Advantage deckboats are worth? It is the early style with the canvas sides.

·
Registered
851 Posts
That looks like the first party cat out of the mold and building jets was a nightmare. The guy that tooled it up (a famous mold maker who will remain un-named) didn't make the center pod wide enough to fit a BBC down in there with all the stock hardware on it so we had to use front mount alternators on all of them and grind on the sides of the engine block to squeeze them in place. Not fun, but the boat was. We took that first one out the Catalina ski race and other places to show it off. It was the first of it's kind. They'd run about 50 mph. We did a twin outboard version for a guy in Texas using V8 evinrudes, ran in the mid 80's.

Here's a picture of the old Hawaiian 25, a v-drive, and it's big brother the 28. I don't have any old shots of the twin set-ups, just found these pictures on the net. The 28 had a built in swimstep, a 'euro' look they called it back then. In fact the 28 was sold as the '7 Meter'.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
That looks like the first party cat out of the mold and building jets was a nightmare. The guy that tooled it up (a famous mold maker who will remain un-named) didn't make the center pod wide enough to fit a BBC down in there with all the stock hardware on it so we had to use front mount alternators on all of them and grind on the sides of the engine block to squeeze them in place. Not fun, but the boat was. We took that first one out the Catalina ski race and other places to show it off. It was the first of it's kind. They'd run about 50 mph.

Old Rigger, thats funny you should mention the cramped engine bay. I remember thinking that the engine looked really tight down in the bilge of the Advantage! It looks like you would have to pull the engine just to get to the exhaust manifold bolts.

If I buy it, I was planning to stroke it to 496 and add some headers, but I'm not sure they would fit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't remember doing a PC with headers, not too sure they'd fit.

I was re-reading your post with the pic, double check the date of that boat. We didn't build the first party cat until '87 or so maybe even '88. In '85 I was still at Rogers so I know it wasn't then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't remember doing a PC with headers, not too sure they'd fit.

I was re-reading your post with the pic, double check the date of that boat. We didn't build the first party cat until '87 or so maybe even '88. In '85 I was still at Rogers so I know it wasn't then.
I just remember it is a mid 80s somthing, so I called it an 85 for the sake of a time frame for the post. I guess I should have just said mid 80 insted of guessing at the year.

The guy that has it didnt even know who built it. I pulled the VIN from the transom to find out that is an Advantage, but my notes are at work. 87 sounds right, now that I think about it.

I havent talked to the seller in a couple of months, I was hoping the price might get more inline with its condition if he cant sell it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Rod, you may be thinking about the 26 CHeetah that is near the bar. t is a 26 with a jet. I think I have seen the advantage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts