Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1999 eliminator 28 without power for cheap. It is a single engine setup. I know that this same model also runs twins. What does it take to convert this hull to run twins? obviously the transom would have to be sealed and two new holes cut. Could 2 more stringers be added?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I found a 1999 eliminator 28 without power for cheap. It is a single engine setup. I know that this same model also runs twins. What does it take to convert this hull to run twins? obviously the transom would have to be sealed and two new holes cut. Could 2 more stringers be added?
Yes it is possible to add two new stringers but ..................... it also would be nice to see some pics of the setup that you now have just to get a better idea of the overall project .

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not my boat yet. I will try to get the seller to send me some pics of the engine compartment. I don't want that 28 with a single...so if this is not possible or will cost a fortune I will have to pass on the deal. Is it as simple as adding 2 new stringers....will the center stringers need to be relocated?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would think by the time you close the back up, cut two new ones in, buy another drive and steering for it assuming it comes with a drive...plus go through the existing drive, buy two motor and have it all installed you could find a boat that already has twins in it for less. Not to mention, the wiring, new shifters and throttles. Heck my 01 I would probably sell for less than you have in that project (of course i am in FL). Unless you just want a project.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I also agree w/ ZBO......not to mention fuel tank size/location would probably also have to be changed. Boat lay-up may also be different due to weight/strength differences of a twin versus single. I would really steer clear of trying a conversion like you're talking about. Just my .02 cents! :)

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The fuel tanks in the single 28 are all the way towards the transom. It would be a major deal to move them forward. Twin BBC do not fit very well in that boat I had a 28 with SBC and it was a total biatch to cahnge plugs on the outside of the motors. Also you have to redo the dash were the controls are.

Way bigger project then its worth IMO.

I have a brand new EFI 1000hp Whipple Charged BBC that would work perfect in that boat I will sell you:D

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
The fuel tanks in the single 28 are all the way towards the transom. It would be a major deal to move them forward. Twin BBC do not fit very well in that boat I had a 28 with SBC and it was a total biatch to cahnge plugs on the outside of the motors. Also you have to redo the dash were the controls are.

I have a brand new EFI 1000hp Whipple Charged BBC that would work perfect in that boat I will sell you:D
You should listen to this advice. Put big power in it an a #6 drive and call it a day.

·
Registered
656 Posts

I loved that boat. I almost pulled the trigger on it a few years back, but kicked the tires flat instead.:D

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
All better now. And get it straight Charley, my problem stems from all the brain cells I have killed down at your place with B!:D

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
All better now. And get it straight Charley, my problem stems from all the brain cells I have killed down at your place with B!:D
I think you killed whatever you had left at Miller's Saturday night - I know I did! BTW, thanks for the ride home.......:)sphss

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts

what ever happened to that boat...did whipple fix it

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
what ever happened to that boat...did whipple fix it

Which boat?

If you are talking about my motor it came out of a DCB that Whipple had nothing to do.

If you are talking about my old 28 Daytona it is in great shape and tearing up the water and has been since I sold it a couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Not sure how fast and how reliable you want. If you want moderate speed with reliability i would keep the single setup, get a N/A 540 600HP pump gas friendly motor with a Bravo XR and external steering. I have a 28 foot boat with a conservative motor 496HO that gets on plane quick and cruises all day with the family. ITs all in what speeds and reliability you want. The more aggressive motors are gonna require some more maintenance which equals money. Do a "needs assessment" plus a "cost/benefit" analysis. I searched for over a year before i found my "helluva deal" on a boat. They are out there for sure. Tell us how much this boat costs and we can figure how much a new motor, outdrive, steering, rigging, tuning, etc is gonna cost you. You might be surprised how much all this shit is gonna cost you. Boats that are for sale minus power and drive are not always what they are cracked up to be. I thought about this route for a long time cause i was on a budget and thought i could build an engine and drop in it etc etc. Forget that. There is so much more to dropping an engine into a boat than you think. Transom assemblies, outdrives, X-dimensions, steering, rigging, plumbing, batteries, strainers, fuel systems, and so much more. You better either be really good with marine mechanics or have some money and a real desire to have something personal. Guys build hot rods ground up all the time but they usually sit in the garage for years while building. You probably want to get on the lake like we do. IMO buy a boat with a working motor and personalize it with new gauges, billet throttle/shifter, nice steering wheel, and some miscellaneous bling to make it your own and just get on the lake to have FUN!!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
BTW, unless you are paying cash, most insurance companies will not insure your boat unless it is "sea-worthy" meaning it has working motor and can be used. I found this out when i was doing my homework when i was considering buying a boat minus power and wanting to finance it. Dont know what your financial position is but you may want to consider this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts