Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's midnight as I was hacking away on my computer and all was quiet...
Until I hear the distinct sounds of a mouse gnawing on the drywall behind my nightstand, then another behind the bed. Definitely inside the walls. Luckily, my lady didn't hear it, buy I informed her this morning. She's freaked and made it clear to rid them. This is on the second story and debating cutting a hole in the wall for traps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's midnight as I was hacking away on my computer and all was quiet...
Until I hear the distinct sounds of a mouse gnawing on the drywall behind my nightstand, then another behind the bed. Definitely inside the walls. Luckily, my lady didn't hear it, buy I informed her this morning. She's freaked and made it clear to rid them. This is on the second story and debating cutting a hole in the wall for traps. Any ideas?
Buy a cat, when we didn't have a cat we always had mice somewhere. Cat = no mice. I'm not a total cat lover, but I gotta tell you, they have endless patience and will stalk and kill any undesirable pests in your house. Ours also catches all the fiies and any bugs. We had an outside cat one time and had to put a bell on it because it kept bringing dead birds home to reward us. Even with the bell, it would take 2 hrs to creep into the middle of the yard glued to the ground and still catch a few here and there. Cats are a pain, but are amazing ferocious little buggers that do the job. Also when you leave, you can leave them a bunch of food and water and they will be o.k. for a week at a time.........................................................................................................................
If you live in an apartment and a cat is not an option, get traps and use peanut butter, put them under the drain in the sink, and bathrooms. Mice need water, they get it from the condensation on the drains and places like that. They are nocturnal and all over the place at night. On ships, in the sailing days, they would actually lick the prespiration off a sleeping sailor's lips undetected............... Where there is 1 there are 4 more also............ It's you against them !!!!!!!

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Buy a cat, when we didn't have a cat we always had mice somewhere. Cat = no mice. I'm not a total cat lover, but I gotta tell you, they have endless patience and will stalk and kill any undesirable pests in your house. Ours also catches all the fiies and any bugs. We had an outside cat one time and had to put a bell on it because it kept bringing dead birds home to reward us. Even with the bell, it would take 2 hrs to creep into the middle of the yard glued to the ground and still catch a few here and there. Cats are a pain, but are amazing ferocious little buggers that do the job. Also when you leave, you can leave them a bunch of food and water and they will be o.k. for a week at a time.........................................................................................................................
If you live in an apartment and a cat is not an option, get traps and use peanut butter, put them under the drain in the sink, and bathrooms. Mice need water, they get it from the condensation on the drains and places like that. They are nocturnal and all over the place at night. On ships, in the sailing days, they would actually lick the prespiration off a sleeping sailor's lips undetected............... Where there is 1 there are 4 more also............ It's you against them !!!!!!!
X2

No need to buy one though, plenty of free kittens out there. We get them 2 at a time usually, strictly out doors. Although the one we have now likes coming inside and sprawling all over Debbie.

He massacres the moles, haven't seen a mouse or River Rat in years, except for the odd one now and then drowned in the pool.
Agreed 100%: Cat = no mice.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
X2

No need to buy one though, plenty of free kittens out there. We get them 2 at a time usually, strictly out doors. Although the one we have now likes coming inside and sprawling all over Debbie.

He massacres the moles, haven't seen a mouse or River Rat in years, except for the odd one now and then drowned in the pool.
Agreed 100%: Cat = no mice.
I've seen some pic's of Debbie on another post, you two that get to sprawl are " LUCKY CATS " ;)

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
If the house is Romex that is what they usually travel on.
Open up the electrical wall outlets and put decon tabs on top of the jbox.
Usually the Jbox will slip outta the wall.

Same on wall switches.
If you can slip the box outta the wall put a decon tab on those too.
Folded over duct tape helps keep it in place if that's a problem.

Also go up in the crawl space/attic and put decon tabs on the rafters.

Go into the garage and put Decon tabs on the rafters their too.

That and our cat is how we solved the problem.
Cat slept on the roof of the truck in the garage and would jump up and jake the mice as they walked along the garage rafters.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a cat. He's indoor and out, but apparently isn't much of a mouser. Why I'm hesitant about D-con is because they go to die somewhere. And they decompose, and they stink.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Then use traps where you can reach them and toss them.
They multiply fast and you'll never catch up.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I got some lately since it got cold. I got 4 traps going,once a week,week and a half I catch one. If they know how to get in, you never really get rid of them, just keep them whittled down...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Also go up in the crawl space/attic and put decon tabs on the rafters.
Yep. Recently had a rat problem. Not no more. D-con pellets is what I used.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I would suggest traps instead of poison. I used poison at our house and it smelled bad! I've since sealed up the second story vents with 1/4 inch screen and no more problems..... knock on wood
Good luck!

·
Registered
720 Posts
We have a cat. He's indoor and out, but apparently isn't much of a mouser. Why I'm hesitant about D-con is because they go to die somewhere. And they decompose, and they stink.
That is what D CON is for. It eats the victim inside out, should be no smell.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
That is what D CON is for. It eats the victim inside out, should be no smell.
It is my understanding that they will generally leave in search of water before dying because of the D-con.

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
here kitty kitty kitty

try to locate the owner of this monster

two weeks and there wont be a rat left in town :D not even the two legged variety:|err

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
It is my understanding that they will generally leave in search of water before dying because of the D-con.
Not true. I've had several die in the attic (rats) and they smell like hell especially if they die in a wall. I use snap traps and glue boards and resort to poison only as a very last resort. Don't use poison anywhere around pets either, they love that shit. The poison makes the bleed to death internally, they still die, rot, and smell. I'm sure mice smell less just cause they're smaller but still. The key is to find the entry point and block it (I know easier said than done). I don't have too many mice where I live but lots of rats.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The little shit proved me wrong. :D
Upon returning home from buying mouse traps and groceries, we find this on our walkway. He's a baby mouse, but kitty is earning his keep. ;)

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Not true. I've had several die in the attic (rats) and they smell like hell especially if they die in a wall. I use snap traps and glue boards and resort to poison only as a very last resort. Don't use poison anywhere around pets either, they love that shit. The poison makes the bleed to death internally, they still die, rot, and smell. I'm sure mice smell less just cause they're smaller but still. The key is to find the entry point and block it (I know easier said than done). I don't have too many mice where I live but lots of rats.

Thanks Mike, i wasn't sure.

We had Rats in the attic a couple years ago.
Didn't know how they were getting in until debbie saw one running the power line from a tree to the roof. We "Tinned" the tree trunk, and found the SMALL hole they were using under a partial eve.
Blocked that and set Rat traps just inside the hatch holes. Got 4 in 2 days, wiped 'em out. BIG BASTARDS!!!!
The last one thrashed around up there in the trap for about an hour before He died.
This was with the big Rat traps.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Thanks Mike, i wasn't sure.

We had Rats in the attic a couple years ago.
Didn't know how they were getting in until debbie saw one running the power line from a tree to the roof. We "Tinned" the tree trunk, and found the SMALL hole they were using under a partial eve.
Blocked that and set Rat traps just inside the hatch holes. Got 4 in 2 days, wiped 'em out. BIG BASTARDS!!!!
The last one thrashed around up there in the trap for about an hour before He died.
This was with the big Rat traps.
I had a big rat problem at my place prior to redoing my roof and finding where they were entering. I was hauling them out of the attic literally in buckets 4-6 at a time in snap traps. I've trapped well over 100 in the attic alone, not including the ones I get outside. It would sound like a herd of cattle up there at night. Sometimes if the trap didn't get a good bite they'd flop around up there for hours, most the time though you'd hear a flurry of activity and thrashing and then nothing. I only use the large victor wood traps now with the yellow pads and I go baitless. Just place them on the perimeter of most anything as that is where mice and rats travel. If using bait you can place most anywhere but then you have to service the bait. Raisins and peanut butter work well but both get hard and ineffective after awhile. I keep snappers outside in key areas now and get one or two every couple weeks on average. I have one opening somewhere still but only get a very few in the attic now once in a while. The pest control guy explained to me rats teeth constantly grow throughout their lives so its imperative the naw on stuff to wear their teeth down. Usually that is what you hear nawing on the wood in the walls and attic. They can be very destructive though too chewing up wiring and most anything else not to mention rat shit everywhere which is gross. And they reproduce rather aggressively so its to your advantage to launch a campaign against them early on when you first know they're there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You don,t have to buy those traps or decon. A little cement mixed with flour will kill them FAST!!!! They get hard as CONCRETE!!!!!!;)

You can put a 5 gallon bucket out with a couple inches of water in the bottom. They will climb in that bucket to get a drink and presto they get wet feet and can not get out.....:)st They end up drownding.(sp)

REXONE by the sounds of things you my friend have a ZOO going on in the upstairs!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts