Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 17ft tunnel hull mold (I own the old Hawaiian 17' mold...only a few jets built). The passenger compartment is not huge so I am kicking around the idea of going with a 3800 out of a camaro so it will bolt to a bravo setup. I think it would be a great package and give a lot of options as far as power output. Could be NA, turbo or blown...all with stock GM parts.

This brings me to a couple questions: Has anyone ever marinized a buick 3800, privately or commercially? I know exhaust and will be an obstacle. I am open ears on accessories and any other possible problems or suggestions.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Supercharged 3800 from a buick park avenue wld be a awesome start! Very hardy motors that are blown from the factory.upgrade the injectors and lil smaller top pulley along with supporting software in the pcm wld make for a nice motor in jet. same motor as the camaro as far as bolt pattern at bellhousing

·
Registered
166 Posts
Supercharged 3800 from a buick park avenue wld be a awesome start! Very hardy motors that are blown from the factory.upgrade the injectors and lil smaller top pulley along with supporting software in the pcm wld make for a nice motor in jet. same motor as the camaro as far as bolt pattern at bellhousing
Hey brother, this sounds like a sweet setup!

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did not know they had a chevy bolt pattern. That definitely simplifies things as I was planning to swap over the blower.

Also, some may wonder why I am not interested in a 4.3 platform, packaging is a big concern because of the tight passenger compartment. And to put a low profile blower on a 4.3 would not be as easy. Not that I would mind a 71 series blower, its just that I would like a small usable sun (bitch) pad over the motor.

I did find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLb3wukRExM

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I did not know they had a chevy bolt pattern. That definitely simplifies things as I was planning to swap over the blower.

Also, some may wonder why I am not interested in a 4.3 platform, packaging is a big concern because of the tight passenger compartment. And to put a low profile blower on a 4.3 would not be as easy. Not that I would mind a 71 series blower, its just that I would like a small usable sun (bitch) pad over the motor.
I know the 4.3 does have the common chevy bellhousing but i dont know of a 3.8 that did, even the camaro 3.8 is different bellhousing than the v8 equiped camaro.. 4.3 is a nice platform but expensive and arent fond of rpms in stock form.if you cld fit a alum blocked ls 5.3 with a good stock camaro fuel injection setup thatd be a lite high hp package without the need of boost.i run a 16ft mantra tunnel with a twin turbo 5.3 but i never needed a motor cover.

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the 4.3 does have the common chevy bellhousing but i dont know of a 3.8 that did, even the camaro 3.8 is different bellhousing than the v8 equiped camaro.. 4.3 is a nice platform but expensive and arent fond of rpms in stock form.if you cld fit a alum blocked ls 5.3 with a good stock camaro fuel injection setup thatd be a lite high hp package without the need of boost.i run a 16ft mantra tunnel with a twin turbo 5.3 but i never needed a motor cover.
Damn, that sucks. I assumed it was a block change. That makes things a little more difficult although an adapter plate is not a big deal. I would still like at least a 4 person passenger compartment so the longer 5.3 is not an option.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Tom Earhart has put a turbo on a stock 3.8 buick V6 in a 19' Eliminator Daytona v drive and ran 116
with it.

He always ran oversize big blocks before and now is at the opposite end of the spectrum.

He said he runs 20# boost on E85 fuel and the motor made 825 hp on the dyno.
He also said he can get a brand new crate motor for $ 1,200.00 so its a cheap assembly.

He sold the Daytona and has since mounted the V6 in a hydro that he bought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts