Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new to this, so bear with me, got a new 351w, thats goin in a 21 eagle, need to know what type of oil is recomended for break in, and all around use? also, what is the best spark plug for this engine, engine is stock, with gt 40 heads, thanxs for any info.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
We use 40 wt Torco high additive "break in" oil however a lot depends on what you've selected for clearances BTW kind of an unusual Jet boat motor ? Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey tom thanxs so much for the info, the boat came with a windsor in it, and it has all the red line water cooling,etc. so i opted to just use it again,, the oil your talking about is kinda hard to find where im from, we live in the yukon territory canada, so finding torco oil is pretty much impossible for me, but any other recomendations?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Shell Rotella buy at Walmart no sythenic
Good stuff (Rotella) used it for years but I heard there starting to reduce the "Pkg" , Comp used to recommend it now they're promoting they're own Cam breakin lube additive
BTW
We got one of the few 351 (408) Windsor Jet boat around the states I know of ;)Tom

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Shell Rotella buy at Walmart no sythenic
Broke my 454 in on Castrol Syntech 5 years ago, including the fairly aggressive hyd. flat tappet camshaft.

Not a single problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanxs guys, shell rotella i can get here, how does your 351w work for you tom, any complants about it? any recomondations? we mostly do hunting and fishin with our boat, we are mostly looking for a reliable engine, as where we go, is out in the middle of absolutley no where, and callin for help is not gunna happen, so reliability is a major factor,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it a flat tappet or a roller cam? If it is a flat tappet, put a couple of cans of GM Engine Oil Supplement(EOS) in the crankcase for break-in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
thanxs guys, shell rotella i can get here, how does your 351w work for you tom, any complants about it? any recomondations? we mostly do hunting and fishin with our boat, we are mostly looking for a reliable engine, as where we go, is out in the middle of absolutley no where, and callin for help is not gunna happen, so reliability is a major factor,
In actuality I would have opted against it (the 351) but my son originally built it for his Mustang, when he sold the Car we put the motor in the little Jet it swung an a impeller 5100 and the boat ran high 70's The motor has been since recently rebuilt (Custom grind roller) along with alot more compression and main girdle shaft rockers Austrailian intake and AED Dominator etc etc estimate just under 600 hp and an enormous amount of torque Those motors have always been revered as reliable as well Tom

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Break in oil: I recommend Brad Penn 30w break in oil.
If you can't get it in your area then try to find the Shell Rotella T with the CI-4 rating. If you get the Rotella T with the new CJ-4 rating you will have to add the GM EOS supplement to it. The CJ-4 rating does not contain the needed level of zinc to break in nor sustain a flat tappet cam.
The zinc content for Rotella with the CI-4 rating here in the US is long gone due to new emissions laws, breaking in a cam on the new CJ-4 it is certain failure. I'm not sure about Canada has to offer there.

After break in go to a good synthetic, it's more stable in the cold, less pressure spikes, and handles higher operating temps much better. Amsoil's Dominator synthetic is my oil of choice; I can list many reasons why this oil is superior, but just in simple testing I have picked up 100 rpm just with an oil change. It's very stable, and has the zinc add pack for flat tappet cams. Bearing wear reduction is remarkable in the race engines I build.

Spark plugs with GT-40 heads: NGK R5671A-7 is my choice, and I find to be the most reliable. :)hand

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanxs for the info SRP1,the shell rotella i can get here, hafta check on the rating though,and also for the spark bolts, how long should the rotella be in, before changing to the amsoil?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
hey all, new to this, so bear with me, got a new 351w, thats goin in a 21 eagle, need to know what type of oil is recomended for break in, and all around use? also, what is the best spark plug for this engine, engine is stock, with gt 40 heads, thanxs for any info.
Any pics of the boat yet?? Are we talking the tin can 21 eagle??? Those are bitchin:)devil

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no pics yet,, hopefully some soon when she hits the h2o, so iv heard these things are a riot!!! the guy i bought it from says" you can turn on a dime and itll give you back a nickel" lol !!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey whats are the details of your hull etc? Is this an Eagle from Alberta? (I just left working for them)

The Ford guru for jetboats up here would be Spencer King of Kingland Ford in Hay River NWT which is sorta a bit closer to you, than for alot of people anyway LOL They used to do alot of Ford 351 installs and of course he races with Kasse 600" svo's. He knows his Fords and may be able to give you advice etc and/or parts if you need them

If you call them, ask for Spencer, tell em Xero sent ya

Cheers

p.s. lets see some pics!

·
Registered
418 Posts
no pics yet,, hopefully some soon when she hits the h2o, so iv heard these things are a riot!!! the guy i bought it from says" you can turn on a dime and itll give you back a nickel" lol !!!
I hope its a 21 sport and not a 21 tunnel cause when a tunnel turns on a dime it usually means its hooked and spun out LOL

(Ask me how I know - red/white boat in this vid)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey xero, thanxs for the video!! awsome,fun' times!!!! ya my boat is an eagle e6. sport 21, the guy i bought it from had it up in fort mcpherson n.w.t. sad to see he didnt take much, or shall i say any care for it. he bought it from some one down there and just ran the shit out of it,, so im workin on gettin it back into shape,$$$$$! and ya iv been talkin with spencer! the man is a world of info and has helped me out soooooo much, great guy!! so you worked for eagle eh? maybe you could help me with a little info on a canvas for it, in need of a camper back,, does outlaw have anything like that in stock? ill get some pics soon and fire them off to ya. mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts