Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you wacker gurus ... need your input/advice/opinions ...:hmmm:

We have a customer that wants to build another 36' Daytona (he's had three in the past).
He's dead set on the new Speedster top deck and wants Twin Optimax 300s or Verado 400s.

His goal is to run at or near 100mph ... :confused:
He runs down in the Bayou and believes this would be the best package for his area.

Is 2 enough to reach triple digits? `

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK you wacker gurus ... need your input/advice/opinions ...:hmmm:

We have a customer that wants to build another 36' Daytona (he's had three in the past).
He's dead set on the new Speedster top deck and wants Twin Optimax 300s or Verado 400s.

His goal is to run at or near 100mph ... :confused:
He runs down in the Bayou and believes this would be the best package for his area.

Is 2 enough to reach triple digits? `
only if you drop it out of a airplane.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If you guys were to build him a light layup boat and keep the rigging light (no big stereo, lightweight batteries, interior, etc.), I believe you could get 100 out of one with a pair of the new 400Rs. There's no way twin 300XSs would do it, as they only push a 30' Skater just over 100. As you probably already know, the M29 w/ 400Rs has run right around the 110 mark (I've heard both 108 and 111), so I would think you guys could be within about 10mph of that rig with the same power (if done right). The first 30' Skater with 400Rs is almost finished, and I plan to go back East to run the boat with the new owner next month - we're calculating that it should run in the teens when it's all dialed in. The completed rig will probably weigh in just under 5,000 lbs (a standard build for Skater). The problem for builders is that customers always want big mph with light power, yet they are never willing to make the weight sacrifices it takes to do it.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you guys were to build him a light layup boat and keep the rigging light (no big stereo, lightweight batteries, interior, etc.), I believe you could get 100 out of one with a pair of the new 400Rs. There's no way twin 300XSs would do it, as they only push a 30' Skater just over 100. As you probably already know, the M29 w/ 400Rs has run right around the 110 mark (I've heard both 108 and 111), so I would think you guys could be within about 10mph of that rig with the same power (if done right). The first 30' Skater with 400Rs is almost finished, and I plan to go back East to run the boat with the new owner next month - we're calculating that it should run in the teens when it's all dialed in. The completed rig will probably weigh in just under 5,000 lbs (a standard build for Skater). The problem for builders is that customers always want big mph with light power, yet they are never willing to make the weight sacrifices it takes to do it.
Thanks for the feedback !!

·
Registered
701 Posts
So how did the Skater run.....?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
So it runs better with the 400r as opposed to the 300 xs?
Absolutely, I'd say probably 15mph faster than if it had 300XSs. It's a very big, heavy boat - and it works well with those big, heavy, powerful motors. Any of the smaller and lighter cats won't do as well with them because they're too heavy. I'd never put a pair of them on the back of a 28 Skater - or any other cat under 30'.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Absolutely, I'd say probably 15mph faster than if it had 300XSs. It's a very big, heavy boat - and it works well with those big, heavy, powerful motors. Any of the smaller and lighter cats won't do as well with them because they're too heavy. I'd never put a pair of them on the back of a 28 Skater - or any other cat under 30'.
Thanks for the input.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts