Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
427 Chevy Build

This section needs more builds. I've started to assemble the BBC that will eventually end up in Shep's Aquacraft.

Specs:
454 .30 over, line bored/honed
396 steel crank
Clevite bearings
Dimpled rods w/ bushed small ends, 7/16" ARPs
SRP 212133 427 pistons w/ 30cc dome, full float
Doug Herbert hyd. roller cam, CBH8 (10.1:1 comp) 245/255 dur, .595/.610 110 lobe, 2800-6800
Doug H. hydraulic roller lifters
049 heads worked over w/ isky springs, retainers
Edelbrock Torker II intake

Bedded the crank last night. Spins sooo smooth.
uploadfromtaptalk1346285938006.jpg

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motor is a mix and match of what MHB had lying around the garage, big thanks to those who offered up parts for sale.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The motor is a mix and match of what MHB had lying around the garage, big thanks to those who offered up parts for sale.
Well actually its a steel 427 crank but I ran the snot out of the boat its going in with a .030 over 396 for ten years, it will be a great laker for Dave and thats all I got to say about this.:shock:

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Well actually its a steel 427 crank but I ran the snot out of the boat its going in with a .030 over 396 for ten years, it will be a great laker for Dave and thats all I got to say about this.:shock:

I am getting ready to do the same thing. I think the only thing I need to buy will be bearings, cam, and pistons. Still do not know it I want to go 454 or use a 454 block and 396 crank. or 396 block and 454 crank. I guess a smart guy would go all 454. But for you that know me...well I doubt you ever said I was smart.

·
kachinatim
32 Posts
427 tall deck marine

shep do you know a good shop who can machine my block and clearance for a 4.5 stroke thanks tim

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two years later I ordered the valvetrain from Straub so we'll get this puppy put together and fired up this spring.

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got the heads out from under the bench, cleaned them up and installed the inner springs as I ended up going full hydraulic roller from Straub Technologies. Chris set me up with a solid valvetrain and let me use the Isky springs I already had. That's great customer service.

Went over to Shep's with boxes from the big brown truck and the heads and got to work. First we dialed in the cam and verified crank angle to cam lift.
uploadfromtaptalk1429027792551.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1429027815273.jpg

Then dropped the heads on. I hate to cover those shiny pistons but I hope i don't see them for years.
uploadfromtaptalk1429027899924.jpg

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After mixing up some head bolts because I wasn't thinking, I finished up torquing the heads and installed the checker springs under the retainers on #1. I purchased a Summit valve spring compressor for $44 that threads onto the 7/16" rocker studs and it worked great! The fingers could stand to be straightened out slightly to push the springs down in a flat plane, but overall it was very workable. I read that the morel hydraulic lifters sit higher in the bores and therefore require shorter pushrods so I bought the corresponding pushrod checkers for mock-up. The consensus was somewhere around 7.750" for intake and 8.600" for exhaust. You will also have to add 0.050 if they aren't pumped full of oil. I painted the valve stem with permanent marker, installed the crane roller tip rocker and rolled it over twice. The pic below is the outcome of this process. Pretty close to dead nuts if you ask me.
Int

Exh

I checked both intake and exhaust twice at .050 increments and came up with the final numbers of 7.750 and 8.6125 respectively. Shep wrote the numbers down, did some math and pulled out his slide rule to verify haha. I re-installed the Isky springs and added the rest of the roller lifters to the valley before calling it a day.

Here's a mockup of the final product. Still need oil pan/pickup, intake gaskets, fuel pump, starter and some other odds and ends. Summit Racing is going to love me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
push rods

Any thoughts on which push rods you are going to get? Everyone likes something different. But a fair amount of people like Trend Products and they're in Warren. They are probably not the cheapest. Just something for you to consider.
Darin

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris Straub is sending me the set as part of the package I purchased. I'm fairly certain they are Smith Bros.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've heard good things about Chris Straub as well. I forgot I read earlier and some time ago that you ordered a combination for him that allowed use of springs you had.

So who has or what happened to Shep's Aquacraft? I like those and knew a few people who had them. I think one was on Lake Oakland in the 1970's. Perhaps that's the one Shep has/had.

Darin

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shep still has it and he finished a 454 for it last year. He had it out once or twice, but needs to put new fuel tanks in it and some other little work here and there. I just don't have the room for two boats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts