Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
After mixing up some head bolts because I wasn't thinking, I finished up torquing the heads and installed the checker springs under the retainers on #1. I purchased a Summit valve spring compressor for $44 that threads onto the 7/16" rocker studs and it worked great! The fingers could stand to be straightened out slightly to push the springs down in a flat plane, but overall it was very workable. I read that the morel hydraulic lifters sit higher in the bores and therefore require shorter pushrods so I bought the corresponding pushrod checkers for mock-up. The consensus was somewhere around 7.750" for intake and 8.600" for exhaust. You will also have to add 0.050 if they aren't pumped full of oil. I painted the valve stem with permanent marker, installed the crane roller tip rocker and rolled it over twice. The pic below is the outcome of this process. Pretty close to dead nuts if you ask me.
Int

Exh

I checked both intake and exhaust twice at .050 increments and came up with the final numbers of 7.750 and 8.6125 respectively. Shep wrote the numbers down, did some math and pulled out his slide rule to verify haha. I re-installed the Isky springs and added the rest of the roller lifters to the valley before calling it a day.

Here's a mockup of the final product. Still need oil pan/pickup, intake gaskets, fuel pump, starter and some other odds and ends. Summit Racing is going to love me.

Intake valve could be a little shorter IMO
Also looks like a lot of sweep on the exhaust.

·
Hoodys and swim trunks
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
4 years later it's still running like a champ and I beat the snot out of it. This was two years ago when it was dropped in the Bahner

And I recently purchased a blower so we'll see what's next. :wink2:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts