Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off this will be my first build, second im on a budget. how do i get a reliable 700hp out of this motor. lets hear some ideas

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
I spent 9k on a 496 that got me to 83 mph then some ass wipe had to ask the question how much is ten MPH worth? I then proceeded to find out like a dumb ass. Over 16k later and an 18 MPH gain with a blown 496 I decieded that going faster wasn't worth it. But as Hammer said "Budget " That word only spells disaster when you are trying to get HP out of cheep parts. Spend good money on good parts and you have a better chance of it lasting a while. Research your build before you buy, Its time well spent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I guess budget is a bad word, let's take that out of the equation I want to do this right what is it going to take

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
so I guess budget is a bad word, let's take that out of the equation I want to do this right what is it going to take
First off is some insite

1 what is it going in, Jet, V drive, What pump, or gears & prop?
2 what are you expectations.
3 lake or race application? How many rpm do you want to turn this motor. what fuel? NA or blown.

before people can offer help they need to know where your going with this build. Then they will give you a whole new set of questions.:thumb:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1977 southwind dragster, I actually just pick it up yesterday from a guy that had it in a garage covered up for the last 20 years, berkley pump with a b impeller. Drag ra

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
1977 southwind dragster, I actually just pick it up yesterday from a guy that had it in a garage covered up for the last 20 years, berkley pump with a b impeller. Drag ra
Futs here on the boards is the man to talk to about your SWTD, his father owned Southwind. Maybe he will chime in here and give you a good direction to go with your boat. I'll check back tomorrow If he hasn't I will see If I can bring his attention to your thread.

You might throw up some pics of your boat and you wife and or girl friend, or both:)hand

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
BP would be another. He's been there done that :))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Wait for GN-7 he'll set you straight!!!
Nothing to add.

HP goals and "budgets" are not mutual. You built the most reliable, or the most powerfull engine you can within your "budget" Your choice. Guess which an engine builder will choose. Guess which the weekend boater will choose. They aren't mutual.

You want both, you need to shit can the idea of a budget. You pick your HP, and the cost is what it is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
have things gone up that much?

we built a nice 498 700hp deal a few years back with about 10k in it?

what does right mean?

there are many many ways to skin a cat!

IMO you do not need a 5k crank in a 700hp motor or Shaft raockers,ect.

Hey Steel your heads suck!:happy:

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I just built a 477 on a budget and it made over 700. It's 12:1, 4 in stroke, Canfield heads, Straub roller, tunnel ram. Mostly used parts. It can be done ;)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Doing it vs advising someone else..

I just built a 477 on a budget and it made over 700. It's 12:1, 4 in stroke, Canfield heads, Straub roller, tunnel ram. Mostly used parts. It can be done ;)
Sure, you could do it, Bob could do it, hell, I might even pull it off...BUT, we also have a selection of performance parts to put back into service... For years we raced Pro Stock with used parts. I've built more than one engine from the Recycler...... Here we have a guy wanting to kinda start from scratch, he has the stock stuff, but apparently, not a lot more..... When I did it, we were building "weekend bullets", one race weekend and tear it down to see what was ready to break... If you build a low budget deal, you're fully aware of the risks involved, and if one of those used, "serviceable" performance parts fail, it isn't the end of the world, you'll just pick up the pieces and throw something else together.... Now this guy, asking for advise, and "hints/secrets", is looking for something a little more "lasting"..... His performance goal is quite "lofty", and his budget, isn't....

So, all that said, IMO, his goals and his budget need to get a little closer together.. Steel's idea of 15K reflects how he would do it... My "guess" would be in the 8-10K range, whereas the OP was hoping to get 700HP for less than 1/2 that....Which could be done, but how long will it last? Even if you buy the very best pieces, there are no guarantees, there will always be a "weakest link" in any chain.....

I would suggest to the OP that he surf the "classified section" here on PB and pick and choose his combination from that selection of new and used parts.... Right now there are some really good deals on some really good combinations...496, 468, LS7 454, etc etc....
My last project, started in 2008 with the purchase of cylinder heads, then a gradual collection of other parts and pieces, bought "right" as the cash became available, topped out at about 11K. It runs, not sure how well yet, or how long it will live under extreme race conditions... Hopefully, it will live as long as it took to accumulate and assemble the parts!!! I had "goals", but never really a limit on expense to reach those goals....
Ray

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would say my budget is around ten grand, but over time, i dont have ten grand just to blow so it might take a while to build this motor. im definitly going to do a lot more research on this before i even start. i was looking around online last night and found a few creat motors, 540ci running 725hp from pan to carb for around ten grand. so there is definitley alot of ways to go. here are some pics

Attachments

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Be very careful with crate engines. Most of them are built with very high profit margins by using seconds and blems, and minimum buiding standards.
The reason I said 15-18K is if you can get that number "OK" in your head, then you won't feel "pressured" to take every what you think is a good deal that comes along in order to fit your budget. Can it be done for 10K? Probably, but if you allow yourself a little more, you may still hit that 10k mark, but you won't feel forced to, and possibly compromise your build. This should be fun, not exasperating. ;)
JMO

1 - 20 of 69 Posts