Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I would like to start building a new engine for my 1970 Schuster Torino Tahiti. I would like to see at least 500 hp. We have moderate engine building knowledge and would love your ideas on what I need to do to it complish that goal. I'm turning a Berkeley 12JG currently with a C impeller. It will to 55 on a good day. I figure I'm getting about 3:50 horse out of it now. I'm getting ready to have the boat gel coated In the off season and will pull the motor and pump out then. Looking for a lot of torque as well. What are your ideas as to a build? My budget is around $5000 to $6000. I'm just looking for ideas and combinations. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Some guy
3,614 Posts
Hi. I would like to start building a new engine for my 1970 Schuster Torino Tahiti. I would like to see at least 500 hp. We have moderate engine building knowledge and would love your ideas on what I need to do to it complish that goal. I'm turning a Berkeley 12JG currently with a C impeller. It will to 55 on a good day. I figure I'm getting about 3:50 horse out of it now. I'm getting ready to have the boat gel coated In the off season and will pull the motor and pump out then. Looking for a lot of torque as well. What are your ideas as to a build? My budget is around $5000 to $6000. I'm just looking for ideas and combinations. Thanks guys.
With that much budget, if you are assembling it yourself, you could put a stroker crank in it, build a 489 or 496 depending on bore, and easily get over 500 hp. You can actually make that much without the stroker crank if you wanted to keep the 4" crank you already have, but you can build a mild, reliable engine that would make 550-600 hp or more without spending a fortune with the stroker. What kind of rpm do you turn with the C impeller?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my tac never worked right but I'm figuring between 4000 and 4500. The engine has flat top pistons with valve reliefs and its bored .60 over. Oval port cast iron heads. 870 holley. Last time I had the engine apart a couple years ago the head bolt threads might be a little bit questionable so I'm thinking I'm to build a different engine altogether. The block casting number on my current engine is 361959. Dating it between 1973 and 1990. It is a 2 bolt main

·
Some guy
3,614 Posts
And I do run in salt water.
When you tear down an engine, not just yours that has run in salt, it's a good idea to look at the head bolt threads when you remove them. They may give you an indication of damaged threads in the block. Many times the end of the head bolt is damaged by corrosion and does damage to the threads coming out. Then you could run a thead chaser through all of the head bolt holes in the block, if you suspect they may be bad maybe before bothering to send it to the shop, but certainly before the block gets washed to assemble.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to be rebuilding the old one I'm going to build a new one. Was hoping for some suggestions as to head and cam combos.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
if your interested I have a 454 LS6 that I pulled from a jet boat and am now moving. it is a 4 bolt std bore block, std/std steel crank, Big blot 7/16 bolt connecting rods, sm pop up forged pistons, Big rectangular port heads with a new NOT broken in solid flat tappet Clay Smith Cam, Scorpion roller rockers with girdles.
probably makes 550 - 600 HP
you could have it all for $4500 or less valve train for $3500
454 LS6.jpg

·
Registered
1972 Schuster Tahiti Jet Boat
1 Posts
Why don't you do a stock LS6 build. From the factory they came with 450 HP. I have the same boat but a 1972 version, and I have the stock LS6 454. I turn 5700 rpm all day long. It is a very reliable set up. I also have a JC-A pump with a stock aluminum impeller. I think it is an A cut. Last I checked, the boat does around 65 mph but that was a few years ago. Good luck with whatever you decide!! Can't go wrong with your combo! Sweet boat man!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if your interested I have a 454 LS6 that I pulled from a jet boat and am now moving. it is a 4 bolt std bore block, std/std steel crank, Big blot 7/16 bolt connecting rods, sm pop up forged pistons, Big rectangular port heads with a new NOT broken in solid flat tappet Clay Smith Cam, Scorpion roller rockers with girdles.
probably makes 550 - 600 HP
you could have it all for $4500 or less valve train for $3500 View attachment 1042234
My My email is [email protected] com. Please send me a message and I'll send you my phone number I'd like to talk about this engine. Thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Tried to email you but something is wrong with the email you provided.
Can always talk over PM.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts