Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 78 Omega with a 454 and a Panther jet. I have had it out twice now and it runs great, but it seems to run a little hot (about 180) and the temp always climbs at idle. This weekend it started running around 210, so I shut it down and put it away.

I traced the water line for a ball valve or a gate valve, but it goes direct from the pump to the block. I figured maybe a wear ring issue, but after searching the forums, it seems that Panthers don't use that technology to feed the motor??? Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
I picked up a 78 Omega with a 454 and a Panther jet. I have had it out twice now and it runs great, but it seems to run a little hot (about 180) and the temp always climbs at idle. This weekend it started running around 210, so I shut it down and put it away.

I traced the water line for a ball valve or a gate valve, but it goes direct from the pump to the block. I figured maybe a wear ring issue, but after searching the forums, it seems that Panthers don't use that technology to feed the motor??? Any suggestions? Thank you!
It can be as simple as a piece of something stuck in the water line from the pump so first thing to do is start there and check all your water lines for blockage. Another not un-common problem is sand build up in the block.

·
"I'm just SPRAYIN' man!!"
618 Posts
I don't know anything about a Panther jet....just want to relay some information I've learned with my Berkley pump.

I was having a similar issue with my BBF last year...the temp started to climb slowly until it was really hot... Come to find out, my pump thrust bearing was going out....and my pump needed to be rebuilt. While the boat was in the water, the impeller was pushing forward which blocked the cooling line to the engine. While on the hose it would never over heat but the moment I put it in the water, the temp would rise.

I rebuilt my pump, put a new thrust bearing in and it's been running great ever since.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Before tearing into the pump I think I would be looking at water flow. Do you have a good flow of water coming out the dump when under way?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies.

Not sure of any flow coming from dump. I have under transom headers, so not sure how to tell?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts