Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off let me say I have a 18' spectra jetboat that im putting a 454 in it is there anything special I have to do to it before I can put it in the boat. can I run an vacuum advance dist or does it have to be a mechanical dist any help or advice would be vey helpful.

thanks pat

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
What engine does it have now Pat?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Vac advance distributors are generally not used in jetboats due to the heavy load on the motor. Also ditch the vac secondary carb if you are running one. We run locked out distributors on all our motors, and mechanical secondary carbs. Good luck with the new setup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it just a stock 454 not sure what work it has done to it what would be a good cam to run in it I have basset over the transom headers for it also an what size qarb do you recommend

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a 671 blower to eventually put on it soon but not these summer I just want to get it sea worthy these year

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Ignored?

What engine does it have now Pat?
Good question.....Let me guess. A blown up, (spun rod bearing), 454.....I'm willing to bet this 454 is out of a passenger car/truck. Let me be the first to say it won't work. Locking out a distributor and using a double pumper aint going to help.......Scrap yards are full of truck motors that ran in a jetboat for 10 minutes........Ray

·
520 Posts
Good question.....Let me guess. A blown up, (spun rod bearing), 454.....I'm willing to bet this 454 is out of a passenger car/truck. Let me be the first to say it won't work. Locking out a distributor and using a double pumper aint going to help.......Scrap yards are full of truck motors that ran in a jetboat for 10 minutes........Ray
X2 If it is a truck motor, do yourself some favors. Get a good pan pump and pickup for it. Keep oil temps under control watch the total timing and don't let your impellor cut put the engine in an excessive load low rpm state and it might live. Just my .02 There are a lot of smarter cats that might chime in with other/better advice. SJ

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
OK, you asked........

good advice is there anymore I would need to do to make it work for me thanks
Well yes. Take it apart, throw the cast pistons and stock rod bolts in the scrap bin. Take the cast crank and use it for a mailbox post. Have the block bored until it cleans up and order some forged pistons from a reputable manufacturer. Specify you are using them in a cold water application and want the skirt to wall clearance loosened up a bit.....Find a forged steel crank, either GM crossdrilled, or aftermarket with priority oiling. Buy a set of ARP rod bolts and have them installed before the rods are resized. Tell the boring shop you're using moly top rings and want the final hone to that order. Take the rotating assembly to the balance shop, and not just ANY balance shop....Thoroughly clean the components like you were going to eat off of them, and assemble while checking ALL the clearances carefully yourself. (trust no one)......This will all cost about $2000.00......And you'll have a decent shortblock minus cam, lifters, and timing parts.......That should get you started..........Ray

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cam spec and compression would have some bearing on HP. All the stuff Ray said was just to make it live.

If you are setting it up for a blower in the future...that will affect your choice of cam and piston...so get it done now.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
OK....

ok awesome thanks what kid of horse power we talking
Pat, tell us what you're going to use the boat for. Is this a balls out, WOT, go as fast as you can always boat? Or is it a boat you want to have "Fun" in?....You can not build it for both......Rather than ask about HP, how about asking how many seasons it will last and give your family an enjoyable time on the water. Trust me, the family doesn't enjoy your boat sitting on the trailer in camp all day. I have had boats that I took to the lake to work on, but that wasn't the original plan. If you want suggestions about building it, we need to know your "Game plan", (OH yeah, you got to have a game plan), and the size and shape of your WALLET. Remember, speed costs MONEY, how fast do YOU want to go?.................I/we can lead you through a build up that will live and give you years of enjoyment, and/or the same for a grenade that will scream for a little while and you will learn how to do it all again and again.....You really can't have both......Ray

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Another question you might want to ask! If this is going in a Spectra 18'! What this boat is able to handle power wise? Someone has done this before and might know the limits of these boats! So be on the safe side before the building major power! That is part of the game plan Ray is talking about also! JMO. WT:)devil

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
OK....

I want to build something with reliable power that I can go and have fun with, and not spend a million dollars.
A very basic 454 with reasonably priced parts can be made to do that. Forget, and I mean FORGET the blower or anything associated with one. Lets start with what you now have. The one that blew up, and the one you're thinking of using. (You can PM me if you wish, or post it up here for several members input. BUT, in the long run, it will be easier to make your "game plan" work going in one direction. Not necessarily mine, but one person dialed into your plan that can help you make decisions..) So, lets get some casting numbers identified and figure out which way to go.......Block numbers (2 bolt/4 bolt, heads (454 peanut ports? Oval/rec), which intake, heads, distributor, exhaust, carb(s) do you have now? Which ones do you want to run, cost wise? Remember, some parts can be refurbished/rebuilt. Intakes can be blasted/polished...etc etc...........Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A very basic 454 with reasonably priced parts can be made to do that. Forget, and I mean FORGET the blower or anything associated with one. Lets start with what you now have. The one that blew up, and the one you're thinking of using. (You can PM me if you wish, or post it up here for several members input. BUT, in the long run, it will be easier to make your "game plan" work going in one direction. Not necessarily mine, but one person dialed into your plan that can help you make decisions..) So, lets get some casting numbers identified and figure out which way to go.......Block numbers (2 bolt/4 bolt, heads (454 peanut ports? Oval/rec), which intake, heads, distributor, exhaust, carb(s) do you have now? Which ones do you want to run, cost wise? Remember, some parts can be refurbished/rebuilt. Intakes can be blasted/polished...etc etc...........Ray
I have the block numbers it said its a 454 78-8- something 2-or 4 bolt main not sure I didnt pull the pan yet the head I would think they are oval port not sure what the are at the moment but for what I have now is basset over the transom headers, motor mounts, altenator, an a few small other parts. could you let me know what I need to put this package together in have some fun cheaple for now an next winter I will build the motor right for the blower. thanks any help would be appreciated thank pat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts