Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for the engine guys. Is it possible to get 518ci out of a passenger 454 BBC. I believe it would take a .030 over piston and a 4.50 in stroker crank. I don't know if it would us the stock 6.135 rods. this is just what i have seen on some site. I also would like to know is it worth it to have that big of a stroke to achieve that cubic inch. Pros and con on the combo. Thanks for any info.:D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Here's one for the engine guys. Is it possible to get 518ci out of a passenger 454 BBC. I believe it would take a .030 over piston and a 4.50 in stroker crank. I don't know if it would us the stock 6.135 rods. this is just what i have seen on some site. I also would like to know is it worth it to have that big of a stroke to achieve that cubic inch. Pros and con on the combo. Thanks for any info.:D
4.350 x 4.25 is 505 cid,, 4.370 x 4.25 is 510 cid,,
or is your question will a 4.5 stroke fit is a normal bbc..???
is there some reason that you need exactally 518 cid ,,,???...Eric:)hand

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Just depends on what you are planning to do with it. Not a lot of people start with a 4.280 bore and a 4.5 stroke. RPM range? Jet boat/ Vdrive? Cruiser/Race boat.

·
520 Posts
I think getting a 4.5" stroke in a passenger car block would be your biggest hurdle. I don't think a 6.135 rod would be long enough to clear the stroke. Any reason for the combo? SJ

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
The stroke is the biggest issue I see in a production block. 4.25 is pretty common and I know a of a couple of 4.375 stroke 9.8 deck height blocks but I haven't heard of ever getting the 4.5 stroke in a production block (not saying it can't be done but as stated before it'll be the hurdle).

4.375 stroke cid are as follows:
+.030 4.280 504
+.060 4.310 511
+.100 4.350 520
+.125 4.375 526

And I believe JE makes a few pistons for the 4.375 stroke with 6.385 rods for the 9.8 deck height.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think getting a 4.5" stroke in a passenger car block would be your biggest hurdle. I don't think a 6.135 rod would be long enough to clear the stroke. Any reason for the combo? SJ
x2 i have never seen anything over 4.375 crank in a production block and that was a lot of work, $$

buy a used bowtie tall deck you will be money ahead with alot more power,

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
x2 i have never seen anything over 4.375 crank in a production block and that was a lot of work, $$

buy a used bowtie tall deck you will be money ahead with alot more power,
+1, except I've run both and prefer Dart blocks to Bowtie.

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
David, Have you ever weighed a Dart block? How does it compare with the bowtie, weight wise? Just wondering.
No I haven't weighed them but I've heard Dart's are heavier. I think Joey Grose and Chris (CS19) (I'm sure a whole bunch of others) have been able to lighten them a bunch. I don't remember exactly how much they pulled out of them, but I was surprised on how much. Maybe they'll chime in with numbers or search the JB forum for Chris' thread on this...

fixed it for ya:D:)hand
Thanks ya friggen prunepicker :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
I here tails of 40 lb's between the two.

I bought a used bowtie t/d on ebay for 500.00 already clearanced for 4.500 stroke and 4.600 bore it has about three years of easy run time in my ski flat.

my only point was not to try and build a eggshell out of a production block when you can buy a used race block for less and have more power and a good block to boot,:)

ps. there would be a lot of piston hanging out the bottom of the cyl bores on a production short deck block with 4.5 stroke.

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Any body notice that the original poster bailed right after his post. Must have figured out that the combo was a no go!
Yea, but I'm still here :p
Nothing wrong with a bowtie at all. If I ran across a 'bro deal on one, I'd run it it a "Heartbeat":)bulb. For a short deck, I like a 4" stroke 4.600 bore combo. You have room for a decent rod/stroke ratio without having to shove the wrist pin way up into the ring pack. It's what I intended to build this go around until I ran across a 4.25" Crower crank.....

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Yea, but I'm still here :p
Nothing wrong with a bowtie at all. If I ran across a 'bro deal on one, I'd run it it a "Heartbeat":)bulb. For a short deck, I like a 4" stroke 4.600 bore combo. You have room for a decent rod/stroke ratio without having to shove the wrist pin way up into the ring pack. It's what I intended to build this go around until I ran across a 4.25" Crower crank.....
David, what would you consider decent in your deal?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any body notice that the original poster bailed right after his post. Must have figured out that the combo was a no go!
I haven't bailed. All I was doing was asking a question about a combo I seen on a website. It had a chart with bore, stroke and what cid it would make. I didn't know if that combo would work. So I thought I would ask. I do want to build my motor and try to get as much cid with only going .030 over on the bore.(the first time around) So i thought by going with a bigger stroke crank I could achieve that.

4.350 x 4.25 is 505 cid,, 4.370 x 4.25 is 510 cid,,
or is your question will a 4.5 stroke fit is a normal bbc..???
is there some reason that you need exactally 518 cid ,,,???...Eric:)hand
Yes that was the main question. There was no reason for having that cid
exactly.

Just depends on what you are planning to do with it. Not a lot of people start with a 4.280 bore and a 4.5 stroke. RPM range? Jet boat/ Vdrive? Cruiser/Race boat.
I want to building a motor for my v-drive flattbottom. I don't want to bore my block no more then I have to the first time around. I figured I would try and stroke as much as possible first. I would like to see about 6-6500 rpms

The stroke is the biggest issue I see in a production block. 4.25 is pretty common and I know a of a couple of 4.375 stroke 9.8 deck height blocks but I haven't heard of ever getting the 4.5 stroke in a production block (not saying it can't be done but as stated before it'll be the hurdle).

+.030 4.280 504
+.060 4.310 511
+.100 4.350 520
+.125 4.375 526

And I believe JE makes a few pistons for the 4.375 stroke with 6.385 rods for the 9.8 deck height.
504 cid sound much more of a better combo. what dose it take to fit the 4.375 stroke crank into a stock block.

·
Registered
633 Posts

+.030 4.280 504
+.060 4.310 511
+.100 4.350 520
+.125 4.375 526

I'm running a 4.25 stroke 496 and very happy, ( square motor ) to 8000rpm,, the 504 sound's like a good deal for you,( 6500 should be no problem and make a lot of torque),,,,......................Eric:)hand

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
504 cid sound much more of a better combo. what dose it take to fit the 4.375 stroke crank into a stock block.
I'm pretty sure you'll have to clearance the bottom of the bores and along the oil rails for the connecting rods. A good machine shop can do it easily or if your good with a die grinder you can do it your self. I'll see if I have pictures on my other computer tonight.

Are you sure you want a 4.375 stroke with a 6.385 long rod (1.46 R/S) in a v-drive? Personally I think a 4.25 stroke with a 6.535 rod (1.537 R/S) might be a better combo and let you spin more rpm later if you decide to.

JMO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts