Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Could always read the Olds Hotboat article from June 2006, it shows the info of what is being discussed here. There is always sombody on the realoldspower.com board that can send it to you. Buy the correct pushrods, they are available pretty cheap from the right source. I dislike putting anything in, that can fall out. Seen a bunch of this stuff go thru oil pumps, never a pretty sight. We freshen and custom build a bunch of Olds motors and see a lot of failed "bandaids". You may have a "bandaid" last for a long time, or not. We find that a lot of second owners of Olds motors think that the Olds is junk only because the previous owner did somthing as a quick fix. Your results may vary. Good luck! TIMINATOR

·
Registered
981 Posts
Matt, with all these goodies, what is the max rpm that you can go for a long time without causing starvation?
just came back across this post... I turn a heavy 4800 rpm all day long for long speed runs witout any problems.. 60psi all day long doing a suprising 70 mph with an A2 impeller.

EDIT::;

Ive got timinators hotboat article copied to PDF for us olds guys.. Hit me up with an email and ill send it your way.

Reactions: MotorheadJohn

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry about the gloom and doom post about the pushrods etc, I reread it this morning. In my own defense, we usually only see broken and worn out stuff since we are a performance rebuilder. How many of the "bandaids" that are still working, I wouldn't know. We only see the aftermath. I couldn't say when we last had an Olds in here without an easily preventable problem that didn't end up killing the engine. My soapbox can now be returned to its proper use containing soap. Good luck all. P.S. on the reprints, that is copyrighted material and I can't legally disburse it, because being an author I am held to a higher legal standard. Normal humans aren't. I am in the process of putting together all of my Olds knowledge for sale on disc, every time I think that its all there, I remember more. Ask any questions you need to. I'll keep you posted. TIMINATOR

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry about the gloom and doom post about the pushrods etc, I reread it this morning. In my own defense, we usually only see broken and worn out stuff since we are a performance rebuilder. How many of the "bandaids" that are still working, I wouldn't know. We only see the aftermath. I couldn't say when we last had an Olds in here without an easily preventable problem that didn't end up killing the engine. My soapbox can now be returned to its proper use containing soap. Good luck all. P.S. on the reprints, that is copyrighted material and I can't legally disburse it, because being an author I am held to a higher legal standard. Normal humans aren't. I am in the process of putting together all of my Olds knowledge for sale on disc, every time I think that its all there, I remember more. Ask any questions you need to. I'll keep you posted. TIMINATOR
Timinator, are K heads desirable?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Timinator, I would buy that disc even if I didnt have olds power. Post up when you have it pulled together. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of good data for MARINE engine builds, tricks, clearances, ideal temperatures/pressures, etc. It all seems to be hear-say, old wive's tales, what worked for someone back in the day, and best guesses. Any hard data is more than I have right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I honestly wouldnt mess with the pipe cleaner method.. If you wanna do it you should do it right. Here are some pics of my setup and then ive got some mods that arent visible at all... Take a look and make your decision.. If you were only going to do one modification i would seriously consider the oil drankbacks off the head directly back into the pan. While the heads are off have the exhaust corssovers, and exhaust bridge for the center cylinders welded up for an extra 8-12hp. PM me your email and ill send you an article with all the information you will need to get the heads tapped in the right area along with how to weld up the crossover and bridges... Along with tons more info on how to build a powerfull olds motor.

my oil mods include,

race prepped block
gasket matched oil returns on head and block
enlarged returns on the head
oil restricters
external oil drains to pan

im sure i went a bit overboard but i wanna get as much oil back to the pan as possible.

just came back across this post... I turn a heavy 4800 rpm all day long for long speed runs witout any problems.. 60psi all day long doing a suprising 70 mph with an A2 impeller.

EDIT::;

Ive got timinators hotboat article copied to PDF for us olds guys.. Hit me up with an email and ill send it your way.
My email is [email protected]
Please send me information and pictures.
On oiling corrections on Oldsmobile 455 for a jetboat that will run at 5000 to 6000 RPM's for long periods of time.
Thank you, John Perryman.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/matt1840/boating/DSC00990.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/matt1840/boating/DSC00991.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/matt1840/boating/DSC01188.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/matt1840/boating/DSC01187.jpg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts